It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church Fined $4,000 For 'Excessive Tree Pruning'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Church Fined $4,000 For 'Excessive Tree Pruning'

www.blacklistednews.com

Every two to three years, Eddie Sales trims and prunes the crape myrtles at his church, Albemarle Road Presbyterian Church.

But this year, the city of Charlotte cited the church for improperly pruning its trees.

"We always keep our trees trimmed back because you don't want to worry about them hanging down in the way," said Sales, a church member. The church was fined $100 per branch cut for excessive pruning, bringing the violation to $4,000.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1-6-2011 by burntheships because: format

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Oh no its the tree pruning police now! This is what happens, as desperation sets in.
Cites, countys and states run out of cash, so they go looking for new sources of revenue!

These trees look just fine!

Photo Credit to Diedra Laird - dlaird@charlotteobserver.com

But...that does not matter...its now becoming a complicated mess to prune your trees!

Individuals who would like to trim their trees should call the city foresters to receive a free permit to conduct the landscape work.

Foresters will then meet with the person receiving the permit and give instructions on how to properly trim their trees, Johnson said.

The state Division of Forestry recommends that anyone trimming trees should be certified by the National Horticulture Board, but certification is not required to receive a permit
www.charlotteobserver.com

Expect to see this everywhere as bloated city, county and state government offices go belly up looking for fresh cash to spend.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-6-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
wow, NC is getting crazy....might be time to move on....
Alaska, I'm comin home!!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Its getting scary, as every day activites come under scrutiny by desperate officials
everywhere. Far be it from them to just cut back themselves.

This is just wrong, on so many levels!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Another example of the government trying to micromanage our lives for the good of all. Just don't look too closely they may be over budget and need some cash.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcanem
Another example of the government trying to micromanage our lives for the good of all.

Yeah, I just love how the city tries to justify this, its hilarious, errr well I mean sick!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
could this have a little bit to do with their hysterical and maniacal tactics ?

en.wikipedia.org...

The United States 2012 Democratic National Convention, in which delegates of the Democratic Party will choose the party's nominees for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States in the 2012 national election, is scheduled to be held during the week of September 3, 2012.[2][3]

It was announced on February 1, 2011 by First Lady Michelle Obama in an email to supporters that Charlotte, North Carolina had been chosen as the site for the 2012 Convention.

great example of "over-reaction" and hysterical mania !!!!

maybe they're worried about a 1968 repeat !

looks like they got that big lump in the throat !

as if someone attending the convention would actually care about a tree branch !!

watch out for increased police actions as well.

and maybe some code enforcement too !

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Thats a very plausible explanation!

I was in hurry this A.M. looking at my spelling in my OP....ROTF. I do know how to spell...

Oh, I really hope this ludicrous action could be explained away due to political madness!

I will think about this story every time I see a crepe myrtle tree!
edit on 1-6-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Fined for pruning a tree on their own property? Really?

I'm sorry, but there are just no words to express how disgusted I am right now.

What's next? Fining someone for farting in public? Fined for weeding their petunia garden?

Sheesh.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Wait...it gets better.
Try to figure this
source

First they say this:

"The purpose of the tree ordinance is to protect trees," Johnson said Read more: www.charlotteobserver.com...

And then the say this:

Because there is a widespread lack of understanding on how to prune crape myrtles in the Charlotte area, Johnson said, residents found in violation regarding these trees are asked to simply replace them, and the fine will be lifted. Read more: www.charlotteobserver.com...

So the law is to protect the trees but to avoid the fine you can KILL THE TREE ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

This is a new game we will see the gov playing more and more of... TROLLING for DOLLARS!
edit on 1-6-2011 by GuyverUnit I because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
A free country as long as you pay for it. I agree with the OP. It'll get crazy when they start looking for new income base. Basicly the cops will be out in force writing tickets for everything they feel they can get away with. When are the people going to get sick of these idiots?!!!?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984

What's next? Fining someone for farting in public? Fined for weeding their petunia garden?

Sheesh.

You are probably not off base there

And remember, 100 dollars a branch!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I
Wait...it gets better.

And then the say this:

Because there is a widespread lack of understanding on how to prune crape myrtles in the Charlotte area, Johnson said, residents found in violation regarding these trees are asked to simply replace them, and the fine will be lifted. Read more: www.charlotteobserver.com...

I wonder if the guys who wrote that have any vested interests in the sales of new myrtles ?

Hmmmm

I think an immidiate investigation should be launched !

you need to contact the U.S. Attorney in that district as well as The American Horticultural Society !

www.ahs.org...

(their "Contact Us" link is to the right --->)

The American Horticultural Society is one of the oldest national gardening organizations in the country. Since 1922, we have been a trusted source of high quality gardening and horticultural information. Today, our mission blends education, [color=ffff000]social responsibility, and environmental stewardship with the art and science of horticulture. Please join us in making America a nation of gardeners, a land of gardens!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I
Wait...it gets better.
Try to figure this
source

First they say this:

"The purpose of the tree ordinance is to protect trees," Johnson said Read more: www.charlotteobserver.com...

And then the say this:

Yes, I was bemused by that as well...

Question; if they fine you once can they fine you again, as in every year?

But, wait if you prune, then are fined, but plant a new tree, they can fine you again on the new prunes?

Ridiculous!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

and not to mention the extra yard waste ....

and the fines that go with THAT.

irresponsible government in action.

despicable.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

and the fines that go with THAT.

Yep _____________________Fill in the blank.
x10% + .0175 revenue fee =

And dont be late or else!

top topics

join