It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 killed in attacks in Mexican resort of Acapulco

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

7 killed in attacks in Mexican resort of Acapulco

www.denverpost.com

ACAPULCO, Mexico—Shootings and attacks in Mexico's Pacific coast resort of Acapulco left two police officers, three suspected drug cartel gunmen and two other men dead, police said Monday.
The confrontations on Sunday began when gunmen traveling in a convoy of eight vehicles opened fire on an Acapulco municipal police patrol car Sunday, killing two officers.

Federal officers responding to the reports of gunfire later located the convoy; in the ensuing gunfight, three suspects were killed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The real title of this story should be

MEXICAN POLICE CHEIF WANTS TO ARM HIS CITIZENS!!!

You did know Mexico has some of the most restrictive gun control laws on this planet, right??? Yet those oppressive laws do nothing to prevent the over 30,000 murders to date...

Allow me to share a couple more quotes from this story

Almonte's brother was killed on Jan. 1 in a rural town in Guerrero by unidentified gunmen. The state has been plagued by such executions.

His brother not an officer was targeted because his brother is... an unarmed man gunned down as a reprisal

"When you fight someone and at least you have a 'piece,' the person who is attacking you might think twice," Almonte said. "We cannot go on the way we are."

His idea is if all good people were allowed to be armed and had the right to defend themselves and their families... these cartel members would think twice before pulling their crap...

At present, Mexico's constitution allows citizens to have one or two low-caliber guns in their homes, but they must get a permit from the Defense Department and the process is complicated. Almonte did not give specifics on how he would make it easier.

as the law stands now the hurdles make it nearly impossible to get that permit and then only for shotguns and .22LR

"Having a weapon should be a right, because the bad guys are few and we, the good guys, are many, so we can't allow ourselves to be held hostage by the few," Almonte said.

Amen... couldn't have said it better myself...

www.denverpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I have said it before, an armed society is a polite society. When citizens are armed, criminals will be reluctant to start crap when they know the whole block could retaliate in kind.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This is one of the greatest arguments I have seen against gun control in sometime. We are fortunate to have the laws in place that we do, but you and I both know the ongoing fight between the Gov't and the people to keep our rights intact.
The second amendment is what allowed "Good" Americans, to defend themselves and their families during the Wild West. Well history repeats itself I guess, they are fighting the fight everyday in Mexico and citizens have no means to protect themselves.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by rcanem

Amen brother... Mexico have sadly become a case study for how good intentions (Gun Control) have gone terribly wrong... Oh sure everyone dreams of a world without violence... but as it turns out peace really is achieved threw superior firepower... lets face facts... bad guys will always be there and they love to pray on the weak (Unarmed)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I have to agree that with what is happening over in Mexico, it would be much wiser to allow the Inocent people to hold guns so as to fend off the Cartels forcing their way into their homes at gunpoint, threatening and killing... they need to defend themselves somehow...

Just like i would expect to be allowed a gun if this kind of thing was happening over here in the UK!!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Having a gun in your home is a 'given' it is getting a permit to buy one that is difficult. US arms dealers make that fairly simple though.

This is such a different world here it is almost impossible to tell anyone in the US what is going on so that they understand it. The typical reaction is to suggest more of the same that is creating the instability here that is causing the violence. The situation should not be thought of in terms of crime on the street but rather as a war where it is almost exclusively between the warring factions, however conscription-aged men are often involuntarily brought into the battle, kind of like the draft, and most involuntarily conscripted troops are drawn from Central Americans who illegally cross through Mexico enroute to the US, usually.

However, living here in a "hotspot" we are all effected by this indirectly but rarely or never directly. Life goes on here fairly much as usual with rare or no visible outbreaks but we know to expect to run into "checkpoints" that are manned by government troops or police and others manned by other local militia. In either event there is little or no danger presented at these checkpoints except those manned by police are often very strongly suggesting paying them a "mordida" over some obscure infraction or irregularity.

edit on 1-6-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Just to give you an idea of what there laws are like...

Article 11 of Ley Federal de Armas de Fuego y Explosivos lists prohibited "military firearms" in Mexico. They include:
• anything full-auto
• any semi-auto handgun larger than 380 (e.g., 9mm, .38 Super, or larger)
• any revolver in .357 Magnum or larger
• any rifle in larger than .30 caliber
• any shotgun larger than 12ga or with a barrel shorter than 25".

Where there are prohibitions, there are penalties. The penalties for possession of prohibited "military firearms" include: 3-12 months in prison for bayonets, sabers and lances, 1-7 years for .357 magnum revolvers and any revolver larger than a .38 Special, and 2-12 years for other prohibited weapons. You don't want to run afoul of this law!

Source for Info

There is one gun store in the country (in Mexico City). It takes about a month for your purchase to be approved. Approval will be denied once you own more than 2 handguns or 10 long guns.
before you apply you need three personal references and another 3 business ones... at any time your request for a permit can be denied or put on hold... Also this list of firearm owners is Public.... so the cartel knows to rip you off for you guns and ammo...

Carry permits exist for outside of your home, but generally not for mere mortals. Even if you get a carry permit, the biggest that you can carry is 380.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by DaddyBare

I have to agree that with what is happening over in Mexico, it would be much wiser to allow the Inocent people to hold guns so as to fend off the Cartels forcing their way into their homes at gunpoint, threatening and killing... they need to defend themselves somehow...

Just like i would expect to be allowed a gun if this kind of thing was happening over here in the UK!!

>sigh< One facet of this "war" is the cartels are fighting each other. Anytime a particular territory is weakened by the take-down of significant members of a controlling faction there are other groups/cartels that seize that opportunity to "muscle-in." That is when big troubles occur that you read about in the papers. The other facet of this war is government forces fighting these groups/cartels, which may include some local forces whose loyalties may seem somewhat ambiguous. Any effort accomplished in this "war" serves to de-stabilize whatever peace a community may be experiencing.

Private homes do get and have been invaded but it is seldom the "cartels" that are doing the invading. As in the US, it is rarely a drug dealer that is busting-down anyone's door, but "the other side" that reserves that privilege.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I'd glad your posting to my thread...
I too have lived and worked throughout Mexico and one thing I have a hell of time making people understand..
is that Normal Mexicans are just like us... Men Women, families... well all have the same dreams... to life free, have our children grow up and have better lives then we did... to us normal people there in no higher goal...
The last thing we need is to be caught in the middle of these power struggles... Police, drug dealers, the Military...

when your shopping for your family at the Plaza and the shooting starts... everyone is a bad guy...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcanem
I have said it before, an armed society is a polite society. When citizens are armed, criminals will be reluctant to start crap when they know the whole block could retaliate in kind.

If we were to make a list of all the players, i.e., naming the various government forces, troops, police organizations, etc., along with the various cartel factions and put those all as headers of columns of various "crimes" going down the page, like robbery, theft, extortion, drug sales, home invasion, etc., then started putting check marks in the appropriate spaces for who did what, I believe you may be surprised which group starts getting the most check marks.

Then as a further drill, cover up the names of the factions and show that list with all the check marks in place to someone and ask them to pick out the "biggest" criminals. Well, then you might start getting a different idea of the reality of the situation. If you eliminate any of the crimes from the list that come under the heading of prohibition and just consider sales, use, possesion of the substances are a personal choice and right, then your whole perception of this could do a turnaround.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Maybe this is why we have so man Mexican immigrants pouring over the border: They want to leave the oppressive anti-gun laws which have lead to social disorder.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I would say the government is by far the biggest criminals in most cases, especially where home invasion is concerned. But again arming the citizens may make the officials think twice as well. Who watches the watchers? We should be.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

I'd glad your posting to my thread...
I too have lived and worked throughout Mexico and one thing I have a hell of time making people understand..
is that Normal Mexicans are just like us... Men Women, families... well all have the same dreams... to life free, have our children grow up and have better lives then we did... to us normal people there in no higher goal...
The last thing we need is to be caught in the middle of these power struggles... Police, drug dealers, the Military...

when your shopping for your family at the Plaza and the shooting starts... everyone is a bad guy...

You are right. Family values are given much higher weight and bearing here. All in all this is a very polite society and much more affluent than most people up north realize. The level of technology in use in offices, the numbers of kids with cell phones, X-boxes, internet, and people driving new cars would be very surprising to most Americans.

By and large, a great many crossing into the US grow-up on farms and ranches or perhaps they are the ones who did not do well in school for various reasons, plus the fact that many "Mexicans" in the US are not from Mexico at all but some very poor Central American countries that have little or no opportunity. Mexico is quite thriving and anyone that would spend even a few weeks here in the central heart of Mexico, away from the borders and away from the resort hotels, they would have a profoundly different perspective of the actual reality of it. Their perceptions would greatly change.

I hope never to have to leave Mexico having experienced the awakening I did some years ago.

new topics

top topics

join