It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano experts believe we will see a Super Eruption.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
This being my first thread you are nicely being asked to.... please go easy on me. ;-) I am in no way wanting to create fear and this site definitely does not need more fear mongering. I am offering this information as I think it is important to be aware, but not scared!

My morning routine involves educating myself with news around the world along with many other things. I noticed on one of my favorite sites, "The Extinction Protocol", this article. theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

Within this Volcanologist's mind he believes one should not worry about an asteroid impact, but a Super Eruption.

Here is some of the article:

Volcanologist Clive Oppenheimer is warning there is a one-in-500 chance of the world being hit by a super- volcano this century. He goes on to say, “That might not sound like much, but it is a lot more likely than an asteroid impact. “

“The world population is bigger. The effects would be huge, both to people and to the technological world.” The 2010 Eyjafjallajokull eruption in Iceland woke the world up to the threat posed by large-scale clouds of ash, he said. “Communications become very vulnerable, with disruption to mobile phone communications. “We do need to think about all these vulnerabilities, both the technological risks and the humanitarian ones.” He added that evidence shows category-eight earthquakes can trigger volcanoes 1000km away, and that this year’s devastating earthquake off the coast of Japan would be likely to trigger a volcano elsewhere in the country. “They are linked,” he said. “Statistically, we could say within the next six months there is likely to be an eruption in Japan because of the events this year.

And then he says the words "global warming". Really? I guess ole Al Gore isn't alone after all.

“Global warming and melting of the ice caps will also have an effect, because a lot of volcanoes are under the ice which, when you remove that loading, will also statistically be more likely to erupt.”

So while it makes perfect sense to me, it is rather alarming to think about Yellowstone erupting. I am only recently educating myself in regards to this subject. I do know swarms have been taking place around Yellowstone especially within the past year. www.abovetopsecret.com...

For those of you who have educated yourself on Volcanic activity, can you please explain what would happen if Yellowstone were to erupt? This inquiring mind would love to hear your opinion. ;-)

Here is the original source:
www.walesonline.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Hey mom, sry to tell you but one thread is open in last hours ..

But I give you first flag ..xD

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good day to yo00u ..

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

HA! Thank you and while I did do a search, we must have been organizing it at the same time. My apologies....

Thanks again for the flag!!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Volcano's are like Earthquakes in that it's only a matter of time until the next big one. Unfortunately, there is no reliable method to forecast them. The Krakatoa Caldera worries me the most. Last time it went bang in 1883, it's reported that the sound wave travelled 4 or so times around the world. That's one major boom!

Krakatoa is still quite active, growing at about 20 feet per year. If we are going to get a big one, this is definitely on my list.

IRM

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Nice topic mamaj s&f.

One in 500? I'd definitely buy a lottery ticket with those odds.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
If yellowstone blows the global temperature would plummet, I'm not sure how much but I'm guessing it would be like an iceage. Modern civilization wouldn't survive, I'm not sure if anyone anywhere would be safe from the effects if that mother goes off.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

WOW! I have been focusing so much on EQ's I have not made the time to research the different Super Volcano's.

This area you are speaking of has seen its fair share of EQ's, thats for sure.

I am off to read more about Krakatoa Caldera. Thank you!!

edit on 1-6-2011 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
hopefully in 2099 :-p haha great post!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

You should check out the wikipedia page for "supervolcano", it actually a fascinating read:
en.wikipedia.org...

It lists 6 supervolcanoes worthy of investigation:

The Discovery Channel highlighted six known supervolcanoes:[2] the Yellowstone, Long Valley, and Valles Caldera in the United States; Lake Toba, North Sumatra, Indonesia; Taupo Volcano, North Island, New Zealand; and Aira Caldera, Kagoshima Prefecture, Kyūshū, Japan.

Very deep stuff.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Here's a good spot to read about Yellowstone, lots of graphs and pics, not alot of doom and gloom. Congrats on your first thread. YELLOWSTONE.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
There are 6 know level 8 supervolcanoes in the world, 3 of which are in the US. There are 10 level 7s, 2 of which are in the US. Laacher See in Germany and Kikai Caldera in Japan have been active within the last week. They are both level 7s. The Valles Caldera in New Mexico was just active 05/05/11, that too is a level 7. If anyone of these 16 supervolcanoes were to erupt, it would, to be nice about it, seriously disrupt our way of living. Ash clouds would block out the sun causing cooling and dying off of vegetation. Then people could not be fed, hence starvation. It isn't a matter of if it is when.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Here is a video of what would happen if Yellowstone erupted...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The scarey thought for me is all the UNDERWATER volcanoes, many that are only just being discovered!

Europe's largest undersea volcano could disintegrate and unleash a tsunami that would engulf southern Italy "at any time", a prominent vulcanologist warned in an interview published last year.

The Marsili volcano, which is bursting with magma, has "fragile walls" that could collapse, Enzo Boschi told the leading daily Corriere della Sera. "It could even happen tomorrow," said Boschi, president of the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology (INGV). "Our latest research shows that the volcano is not structurally solid, its walls are fragile, the magma chamber is of sizeable dimensions," he said. "All that tells us that the volcano is active and could begin erupting at any time." The event would result in "a strong tsunami that could strike the coasts of Campania, Calabria and Sicily," Boschi said. The undersea Marsili, 3,000 meters (9,800 feet) tall and located some 150 kilometres (90 miles) southwest of Naples, has not erupted since the start of recorded history. It is 70 kilometres long and 30 kilometres wide, and its crater is some 450 metres below the surface of the Tyrrhenian Sea. "A rupture of the walls would let loose millions of cubic metres of material capable of generating a very powerful wave," Boschi said. "While the indications that have been collected are precise, it is impossible to make predictions. The risk is real but hard to evaluate."

Also living in Christchurch, NZ where we've had a LOT of earthquake activity since Sept 2010, I got a hell of a fright when I came across these images pointing out the potential SUPER VOLCANO just off the coast

Red dots indicate land based dormant volcanoes:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/629e380b9fd3.jpg[/atsimg]

Red dots indicate possible SUPER VOLCANO just off the coast:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f822bae4666c.jpg[/atsimg]

Hopefully they'll stay 'sleeping' for a long while yet!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

WOW! I have been focusing so much on EQ's I have not made the time to research the different Super Volcano's.

Smart keeking Phase and WeedWaker busy with EarthQuaker S & F
Ya we are due one soon just a mater of what going to set it OFF

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium

Originally posted by MamaJ

Smart keeking Phase and WeedWaker busy with EarthQuaker S & F
Ya we are due one soon just a mater of what going to set it OFF

Phage & Weedwhacker are busy with the NINny Trolls.

Seriously, I am a little worried about Taupo as I live in NZ. The immediate effect here would probably be the lahar & pyroclastic flows which would wipe most of the North Island.

There is apparently a Maori prophecy that the Australian-Indonesian techtonic plate will rise along its Eastern edge and form a land bridge between NZ and Aussie, simultaneous to a Taupo eruption, but in the process, most of NZ will get washed over by the sea.

Hope its just a bad dream from some old nanna & won't come true.

edit on 2/6/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Just a thought but what would happen to all life on earth if a 30 foot tsunami caused 3 nuclear reactors to melt down and spew toxic radiation all over the globe..........just saying. Imho I believe asteroids, volcano's and pole shift are the least of humanities worries. To ensure the continues survival of life o earth we need to rid the planet of war mongers and nuclear power (peaceful or otherwise)!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

Thank you and to the others for the well informed information via links and videos. This will keep me busy for a few as I plan on educating myself more in regards to this topic. There is a lot of activity around the globe that is causing me personally to want to be more aware.....of sooooo much more than I was.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Yeah, now that is some scary stuff my friend! Did you at all feel a jolt or anything when that big EQ hit there in NZ? The Earth is definitely shaking and rocking these days and I sure hope you are right ..I hope they never wake up!!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Feel it? I was knocked on my ASS!

180+ died in my city that day, including people I knew. I've lived thru two 7.1 quakes yet the 6.3 on Feb 22nd was by far the worse. Feels like the whole world is turning upside down.

Now there's a lot of talk about new major faults being discovered under the city & just offshore (that haven't ruptured yet), with the possibility that we could yet experience an up to 8 magnitude quake. GULP.

An 8+ in the city now, would pretty much destroy it and probably result in it becoming a ghost town, as no insurers would ever re-insure here.

These are strange & worrying times.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
If Yellowstone blows up, it would be absolutely devastating. Let's hope that doesn't happen .. Well, I guess it's just a matter of time. Let's hope it's a matter of a lot MORE time then ;-)

I also keep a watch on Vesuvius and Pelee, since I live in California!!

Edgar Cayce prediciton:

"If there are the greater activities in the Vesuvius, or Pelee, then the southern coast of California - and the areas between Salt Lake and the southern portions of Nevada - may expect, within the three months following same, an inundation by the earthquakes."

That was the real precondition for his California/Earthquake prediction, not the date 1998.

Cayce also mentioned, well before this idea was accepted, that volcanic eruptions are linked to distant earthquakes. And, we sure have been having "a lot" of large, powerful earthquakes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join