It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1979 Video Of National Broadcast- Pittsburgh Daylight UFO'S At Football Game - 52,000 Stadium Atten

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
What I find interesting is all the people with telephoto lens cameras wandering around after the match, shooting photos of the players...SURELY some of these people would have seen these objects and thus been able to take some fairly close up, quality pics of these UFO's???

I'd add tracking down any photographers from the game, and seeing if there are any good photos floating about.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Just because something was patented in the 90's doesn't mean it wasn't being used or had been developed earlier.

Rotor kites have been around a lot longer......since the 1940's in fact!

It's a good thread OP'er and you've presented it well, but in my opinion what we are seeing is rotor kites, with the strings lost in the video conversion.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nanochicken

Maybe if people didn't say such moronic things like "there is no strings in the video so it can't be a kite" I wouldn't feel the need to show my frustration towards people who don't think before they post. Sometimes a little ridicule goes a long way and people learn their lesson from it. Without it they will go unchecked and continue to spread their ignorance. I don't know about you but whenever I get slightly ridiculed I try harder the next time not to get ridiculed.

Ive been involved in UFOlogy for many years... forgive me for being frustrated when I see hard core believers posting ridiculous counter arguments that can be refuted with simple logic and common sense just to try to keep their fantasies and beliefs from shriveling up and dying a quick death.
edit on 1-6-2011 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Yep, these are kites. I had one when I was a kid. You could put metal foil on the "blades" to make them more reflective. My guess is that it was a couple of kids trying to get seen on TV and it worked.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I've read this entire thread. And I've been studying UFO's since I was in elementary school. I read every single UFO book our school library had and have been fascinated ever since.

When I first saw the videos in the OP, I was fascinated for the first time in a very long time. That's because I've never seen or heard of gyro/roto kites. And that's only until now. A couple people, on the very first page even, correctly identified the objects in the videos to be kites. There have been several in this thread that have discounted the kite theory because the "technology wasn't available in 1979" or the patents "didn't exist until the late 1990's". But because I'm the king of research, I'll put all of the speculation to rest once and for all.

As has been pointed out, rotary kites have been in existence since the 1930's and 40's. But at least one of the kites seen in the videos is from this man:

Kenneth Sams. He holds two patents. One of them is to the rotary wing kite seen here:

The above kite is the exact same kite seen on the right in the videos in the OP.

Kenneth Sams also filed his patent on March 8, 1979. The same year as the videos in the OP.:

www.patentgenius.com...

But Ken was flying his rotary kite long before 1979. The following link has a biography of sorts of Kenneth's life and it goes by year. For the year of 1971, it describes Ken redesigning his rotary kite and even has a picture of him holding them:

www.craigsams.com...

And finally, the following video shows Ken's invention still flying today:

Google Video Link

After viewing the above video, did anyone notice anything? That this video is closer and clearer than the videos in the OP and you can only just barely make out the clear fishing line used on the kite. So, to those that said that the string/line would be clearly visible in the poor-quality videos in the OP: you have been proven wrong.

Oh, and to those that said these were anything other than kites: you have been proven wrong as well.

To the OP: Thank you for this thread and the time/work you spent obtaining the videos and putting it together. I would probably have never known about rotary/gyro kites if you hadn't posted this thread. We all learn something new every day.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
After viewing the above video, did anyone notice anything? That this video is closer and clearer than the videos in the OP and you can only just barely make out the clear fishing line used on the kite. So, to those that said that the string/line would be clearly visible in the poor-quality videos in the OP: you have been proven wrong.

Great post, and great research as well.

Thank you for showing that I was correct about people using fishing line/string, and that it wouldn't be visible from far away and on low quality video, and that the kites existed before the patents. You proved everything I have said is correct.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy
You proved everything I have said is correct.

All it takes is a little research. Actually only took me about an hour to do the research and write my post.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I don't know how '68' got into the equation. Anyway, the OP was advised of kites in the other forum at some time. I wonder what the helicopter pilot thought, maybe he saw nothing, egads!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by staple

When we sold them on the beach in Biloxi MS in 1979 they were called "spinners". That is obviously what they are. But, at least its not a video of a light in a dark sky with no other info. Good catch for the OP tho.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
When I first saw the videos in the OP, I was fascinated for the first time in a very long time. That's because I've never seen or heard of gyro/roto kites. And that's only until now. A couple people, on the very first page even, correctly identified the objects in the videos to be kites. There have been several in this thread that have discounted the kite theory because the "technology wasn't available in 1979" or the patents "didn't exist until the late 1990's". But because I'm the king of research, I'll put all of the speculation to rest once and for all.

As has been pointed out, rotary kites have been in existence since the 1930's and 40's. But at least one of the kites seen in the videos is from this man:

I was going to make a mention of me living in pgh my whole life and never ever ever ever ever hearing anything to do with a UFO during a football game in this city..

I know this because well I was born here grew up in Homestead Pa, and have been here since then. I have not once heard anyone speak of anything related to anything UFO during a Pgh game at all, and it being against dallas, I would have known about it when they was going against pgh in that superbowl where Neil O'Donnell threw like 4 interceptions in that game that.. I liked dallas at this time and well nobody else did..

Anyway just going on living here i was going to say it was bunk, but you put it a nice way so I will leave it at that...

Anyway the story is fake i can say that with 100% certainty that it is.. Now if we can find out if there was an actual B52 bomber that actually crashed in the mon river in homestead we will be set.(see this is something that is said around homestead alot and this story goes back to the 40s i think.)
edit on 6/1/2011 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Would you look at that! There is no visible string attached to the kite. Interesting...and my god! He has two of them! But two are impossible to fly at the same time! HOW CAN THAT BE!?!?!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
"irrefutably" LMAO!
You can clearly see a line coming from the left!

Why is this thread getting so many stars and flags???

I guess some people are just so determined to believe.....

This is nothing more than a rotor kite!
edit on 1-6-2011 by SnakeShot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Yes they are kites, i remember them from when i was a kid...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
I found this to be pretty odd. Notice at exactly 9 seconds in this video, a third object appears to zip across the sky just to the left of the first UFO/Kite.

Meh. I fail at embed. Here's link.

Watch at 9 seconds.

Could just be the camera. Looked like something else at first. You be the judge.
edit on 1-6-2011 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

Bumping this again. Still would like to hear opinions on this.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
A UFK Unidentified Flying Kite. I honestly wonder how many "ufo" sightings might be from toys or weather instruments.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlight

Originally posted by nanochicken
I don't think these are kites, even though they certainly resemble rotor kites. I've taken a screen grab of the objects and reduced the brightness and contrast into negative numbers. If there was a string you would expect to see some indication of it.

edit on 1-6-2011 by nanochicken because: (no reason given)

I wonder, too, if they are not some kind of airfoil hauled through the air by a small aircraft. They do seem to be moving to the left at a nominal speed.

The first true orbs ever caught on video? I mean surely not large enough to be space CRAFT but can definitely be considered "foreign" and most likely a controlled "orb" of some kind.

I guess all the orb fanatics out there were on to something. It just seemed too far fetched to be true...

This opens up a whole lot of doors.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

That is not an UFO streaking across... what you are seeing is one of many artifacts caused by analog tape players called "drop outs".

Throughout the entire video you will see black and white lines or streaks go across the screen... The object you think is a UFO is actually two different drop outs on two different frames, and the position and time of those drop outs create the appearance of an object/UFO streaking across the sky.

Whoever did the analog to digital conversion of the video used a analog tape player which created those streaks.

Here is an example of really bad drop out:

In the OP's video there is a LOT of drop out, but they are thin lines and not a thick band like the above image.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
not even close to a rotor kite. plus your own video debunks the rotor kites. you can clearly see the lines and rig attached to the kites at approximately the same distance as the football orbs.

everybody says the only way i'd believe in ufos is if they landed right in the middle of the superbowl in front of 60,000 people.

i think the ufo's were clearly thinking about it but changed their minds.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by gift0fpr0phecy

Gotcha Gift. I just thought that one in particular looked odd. But you are most likely right.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
not even close to a rotor kite. plus your own video debunks the rotor kites. you can clearly see the lines and rig attached to the kites at approximately the same distance as the football orbs.

The kite in the picture below is even closer than the kites in the '79 game, yet you still cannot see the string...

Also, in this post I linked to several videos that show no visible string attached to the kites.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join