Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

1979 Video Of National Broadcast- Pittsburgh Daylight UFO'S At Football Game - 52,000 Stadium Atten

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
There are some observations we can make that go against the "spinning kite" theory:

1. The 2 separate objects are moving through the sky in formation
  2. If it were 2 spinning kites, they wouldn't "fly together" in formation
  3. The video is good quality - there are NO KITE STRINGS to be seen
  4. The photos and videos of example spinning kites all have clearly visible kite strings

Very good rundown of the facts! Let's not forget that the types of kites that could have caused this sighting were not patented until 1997. For anyone who thinks these are kites, please go fly two kites side by side and watch their behavior. They will sway apart from each other and may even tangle if they get this close.

I doubt these are kites unless they are somehow tethered to each other. I wish we had some more eye witness testimony from someone who was there. It should not be too hard to find more info on this, maybe some old local newspapers covered it?

Im going to chime in here as some what of an authority on kites. I have been flying kites (dual line, quad line and single) since the mid eighties. Just because there isnt a patent doesnt mean they werent around. I saw rotor kites in Hawaii in the 80's. Also, more the one kite can be flown on a single line or multiple lines to look as if they are in formation. With reguard to not seeing the kite lines, on a bright day or at certain angles the thin lines cannot always be seen, even by the flyer. I have experienced this myself.

I think the rotor kite theory is the best for this case.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
reply to post by elouina

I LOVE posts like this!!! It's a UFO video that I have never seen before....also it's one that comes from a time well before computer animation made such hoaxes quite easy to perform......

Unfortunately, I think I've debunked it.....or at least I have a pretty good Idea of what these things are. I think they are rotor kites. Such Kites have been around for a while. Take a look at this link and tell me if this isn't the likely culprit.

I LOVE posts like this!!! It's a UFO video that I have Debunked exactly 4 posts after the other guy debunked it with exactly the same video making me an epic failure...................

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
looks like balloons to be and since this was filmed at a football game it isn't impossible. the home team won, fans let balloons go, they lost air and starting falling.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Great post - one thing that struck me in the video, no-one is looking up nor have noticed anything unusual in the skies.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

• The 2 separate objects are moving through the sky in formation

• How do you determine "formation" with two objects?

If it were 2 spinning kites, they wouldn't "fly together" in formation

You are right! As this video proves, kites cannot fly together in any sort of formation...

• The video is good quality - there are NO KITE STRINGS to be seen

• I suppose then that means the objects in this video are intelligently controlled alien space-craft...

And in this video as well...

As well as here...

No strings rules them out as kites!

And look here! A giant sky octopus! Not only that, but look at all the UFOs observing it. We know they are UFOs because there's no strings!

edit on 1-6-2011 by WingedBull because: (no reason given)
    edit on 1-6-2011 by WingedBull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:04 PM
    link   
    reply to post by WingedBull

Yup. see my post above as well.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:10 PM
    link   

the commercial was cut abruptly and the picture went back to the stadium. The screen showed a metallic disk (10-30 ft.) spinning like a coin (1-2 rev per sec) on a table at height about equal to the top of the stadium

Is there big screens in the stadium that broadcast the same pictures that go out on telly?? I take it none of the fans seen this as I don't see anyone (fans) in the videos pointing or staring at it??? giving, it doesn't show you all the stadium.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:12 PM
    link   
    Nice video of roto kites OP.

..and to the poster who looked for patents... most kites don't have patents until some greedy businessman tries to corner the market.
    edit on 1-6-2011 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:13 PM
    link   
    Can we just pretend that its not a kite and go back to being dumbstruck?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:18 PM
    link   

There are some observations we can make that go against the "spinning kite" theory:

4. The photos and videos of example spinning kites all have clearly visible kite strings

First, stars and a flag to the OP!

Now, Cryptonomicon beat me to the obvious, which is no kite string(s) visible. If the wind were spinning those, the loading would be tremendous and the string would be of a very high tensile strength which equates to larger diameter string (or cord, fishing line, etc.) making the string even more visible.

The camera angle looked to be between 40 and 60 degrees or maybe higher and the zoom indicated (a guess) about one to two miles away which would have put it at about 1500 to 3000 ft high. Now if any one has flown a kite before, they know that the kite will only support just so much string weight. Too far up and the kite just won't go any higher. Also, the wind currents loading the string will make the kite act goofy.

The thing(s) do look tethered, but to what or with what, I haven't a clue. Can anything be found out about what happened to them after the game? Did they disappear or were they hauled down?

Good Job, Elouina!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:20 PM
    link   
    I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, those are God's eyes.
    He is a Cowboy fan.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:26 PM
    link   

Originally posted by NightFlight
    Now, Cryptonomicon beat me to the obvious, which is no kite string(s) visible.

This is a serious question.... Have you lost your mind?

OMG NO STRINGS!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:33 PM
    link   

Originally posted by six67seven
    I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, those are God's eyes.
    He is a Cowboy fan.

If those are God's eyes, there is no way he is a Cowboy's fan. Pittsburgh won that day.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:36 PM
    link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy

Now, Cryptonomicon beat me to the obvious, which is no kite string(s) visible.

This is a serious question.... Have you lost your mind?

No, I know exactly where it is. It is in 1979 exploring the possibilities of translucent high tensile kite string of which I know of none until the late eighties or early nineties. Where is yours?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:37 PM
    link   
    That was fun and it actually turned out to be a great investigation. Killer thread as far as I'm concerned.

Probably all kind of cool stuff like that just waiting for someone with initiative.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:42 PM
    link   

No, I know exactly where it is. It is in 1979 exploring the possibilities of translucent high tensile kite string of which I know of none until the late eighties or early nineties. Where is yours?

Um, you mean fishing string/line?!?! A lot of kit fliers use fishing string/line... which is clear and very strong and very light.

Also, the video is horrible quality... how on Earth do you expect to see strings that are far away on a highly compressed and blurry video? The string would have to be smaller than a single pixel. How can you expect a computer to show detail smaller than a pixel?

My mind is in reality... it is currently practicing common sense.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:45 PM
    link   
    I watched the video before reading the responses and as soon as I saw the "UFOs" I knew EXACTLY what they were, the same spinning kites I had as a kid, "Rotor kites" as the others have pointed out. I don't remember exactly when I had mine, but I know it was in the 70's, so before this game was filmed (by the 80's I was older and could care less about kites). To respond to some of the refutation attempts:

1.The 2 separate objects are moving through the sky in formation

They're not moving through the sky in formation, there are simply two of them being flown adjacent to each other and they are stationary.

2.If it were 2 spinning kites, they wouldn't "fly together" in formation

When I was a kid my brother and I flew ours together and they looked EXACTLY like the video clips in the OP.

3.The video is good quality - there are NO KITE STRINGS to be seen

I disagree, it looks to be pretty poor quality to me. Certainly poor enough that strings would not be visible.

4.The photos and videos of example spinning kites all have clearly visible kite strings

If you're talking about the photos and videos posted in this thread, they're much higher quality than the old football game clip.

For anyone who thinks these are kites, please go fly two kites side by side and watch their behavior. They will sway apart from each other and may even tangle if they get this close.

Normal kites, yes. But these are not normal kites. They remain perfectly still regardless of how much wind there is, the amount of wind just makes them rotate faster or slower. They do not pitch, roll or yaw (or sway), they just spin. Again, I've flown these and I know what they look like and fly like. And the videos in the OP are these kites, there's no question in my mind.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:48 PM
    link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy

Um, you mean fishing string/line?!?! A lot of kit fliers use fishing string/line... which is clear and very strong and very light.

Also, the video is horrible quality... how on Earth do you expect to see strings that are far away on a highly compressed and blurry video? The string would have to be smaller than a single pixel. How can you expect a computer to show detail smaller than a pixel?

My mind is in reality... it is currently practicing common sense.

The video looked pretty good to me and my computer handled it quite well. Always remember to keep an open mind, but not so much your brain falls out. BTW, Whats your agenda?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:49 PM
    link   
    reply to post by staple

So following your logic, If I see a hot air balloon that looks like a house, it must be a house because it resembles a house?

And if I see Jesus in a corn chip, it has to be jesus because it looks like him?

Just because something looks like something else doesnt always mean for certain that's what it is.

Cigar shaped UFO's cant really be spacehips because they're actually giant floating cigars?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:53 PM
    link   

First, stars and a flag to the OP!

Now, Cryptonomicon beat me to the obvious, which is no kite string(s) visible. If the wind were spinning those, the loading would be tremendous and the string would be of a very high tensile strength which equates to larger diameter string (or cord, fishing line, etc.) making the string even more visible.

The camera angle looked to be between 40 and 60 degrees or maybe higher and the zoom indicated (a guess) about one to two miles away which would have put it at about 1500 to 3000 ft high. Now if any one has flown a kite before, they know that the kite will only support just so much string weight. Too far up and the kite just won't go any higher. Also, the wind currents loading the string will make the kite act goofy.

The thing(s) do look tethered, but to what or with what, I haven't a clue. Can anything be found out about what happened to them after the game? Did they disappear or were they hauled down?

Good Job, Elouina!

You obviously dont know much about kites or kite line.

new topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join