It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PBS and Frontline... Questionable Programming in the Wake of the Wikileaks Hack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
This is my first post so please... be gentle. I actually signed up to ATS specifically to discuss that which I am about to address.

I have always been a fan of the Frontline program. When news from the usual suspects couldn't be trusted to address topics in whole, Frontline always seemed to come through with thought-provoking, challenging programs. Generally, it seemed, bias was kept at a minimum, and sometimes, was even non-existent. It was like a breath of fresh air. There are some informative episodes, powerful episodes, upsetting episodes, uplifting episodes - but they were normally crafted with care - or so it seemed.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Frontline aired a program just after Bin Laden's supposed death titled, "Fighting for Bin Laden" it's subhead states,

A special report -- in the wake of Osama bin Laden's death, FRONTLINE takes you inside two fronts of the fight against Al Qaeda and the Taliban

What followed was a program so puzzling, so... faux, that I was left sitting there in disbelief. It was as if my entire worldview was flipped upside down. Here is the program:
FRONTLINE - FIGHTING FOR BIN LADEN

Edit: Be aware that this program is about an hour. I understand it's a bit lengthy, but I hope some of you have already seen it - and if you haven't, that you will be able to do so and add your input.

Now, perhaps I'm just so skeptical these days that nothing seems true to me any more. But this episode really got under my skin. There are so many inconsistencies and so many moments where it plays out like a bad student film. In my eyes, this HAS to be a load of doodoo. I really can't see how I should digest this as truth. It's anything but.

So, my question is this: Is this a production put on by Frontline to garner ratings, or is this a production that had its origins in the governmental realm, and it's propagandistic. I'm not really sure what we are to gain from it if it were propaganda though... bad men wrapped in scarves are dangerous and the threat still remains despite Bin Laden's "death"?

Either way, I am so deeply disappointed in Frontline. If I can't turn to them for some unbiased information, then who can I turn to? It's as if my last oasis has just been sucked dry. All I can do is throw up my hands and be appalled by the transformation our country has been undergoing.

I have not watched the Wikileaks episode that prompted the hack, but I will do so. Before watching it, however, I have to wonder if it smacks of the same unbelievability as the "Fighting for Bin Laden", and if the hacking occurred in protest. I'd love to hear your takes on this matter...
edit on 6/1/2011 by HolographicPrincipal because: add length of video

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
If you notice who sponsors various programs on PBS, you'll find oil companies and so-and-so foundations among them. There is no substitute for doing your own research. Frontline is a program I've seen and you are right, they present more in-depth analysis of stories and come across as objective and truthful. People who are intelligent and want that kind of programming have their answers in that package. But, it is still "programming" with an agenda behind it. IMO. The revolution will not be televised.

new topics

join