It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baphomet illustration a parody of George Washington?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Not sure how much attention is given to this, but I found it pretty interesting. From what I've read, Baphomet is a neutral Pagan deity, not some blatantly Satanic figure that a lot of people make it out to be. Also, the depiction of Baphomet doing the "as above, so below" wasn't circulating until a number of years after the George Washington statue was made. It just makes me wonder since George Washington was a well-known Freemason and because there's a symbolic importance of goats within Freemasonry (and some radical claims of Freemasons worshiping Baphomet).

The sword being in Washington's left hand makes me think it symbolizes Capitalism. The "left-hand path" is generally considered to be the road of self-fulfillment (which can also be selfish and narcissistic) and Satanic. Capitalism obviously makes it easier for an individual to fulfill his own desires. I'm definitely not saying George Washington was advocating selfishness. But its a matter of fact that people use money to breed corruption.

Just my two cents. I wouldn't bet money on this and I'm definitely not going to lose sleep. I just felt like sharing. Your thoughts?
edit on 6/1/2011 by BirdOfillOmen because: Needed rewording

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
it is strikingly similar. eh like you said im not goin to lose any sleep over it, S+F

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

Greenough modeled his massive (30 tons) figure of “Enthroned Washington” on the great statue of Zeus Olympios which was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World

Source:en.wikipedia.org...(statue)

www.mlahanas.de...

Based on a statue of Zeus; not Baphomet.

edit on 1-6-2011 by Frater210 because: More

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
The left hand doesn't signify Capitalism. It signifys the feminine energy, as I am left handed. Following the path of self entitlement is just being misguided is all. Like a knot in you until (if) you are unknotted and shown all that One has done, because of the corruption that is power, if you let it get the best of you.

There is no good or bad, there just is. Yes people pervert things (baphomet) and essentially hate themselves because it takes work to love yourself, but I suspect George knew what was coming, He was shown it by as you would call an 'angel'.

Once we get out of this mindset (because we can't see past the smoke and mirrors, the mind (ego) is limited), we'll see that everything that has happened was meant to happen because that is what we made of what we have been given.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: The illuminati/freemasons etc only have the power of smoke and mirrors. The OP is feeding them, as the post pays attention to aspects of it. Think of it as an IRL troll: it feeds upon the attention. It can hurt you a little, but in the end, you have all the power by saying 'no thanks' and making what you want you reality to be.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

You could be right, but I'm still going to entertain the idea that his pose is more resemblant of Baphomet :p

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Well, do you know where the 'Baphomet' came from?

I want to ask first so as not to presume. If you do, then I will tell you the truth, and then you can see if that influences your comparison of the George Washington statue to the image of Baphomet.

What do you think?

From what I've read, Baphomet is a neutral Pagan deity

Are you sure?

edit on 1-6-2011 by Frater210 because: ?

edit on 1-6-2011 by Frater210 because: Your Image

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

lol I'm not saying you're wrong. I just didn't want other people to think I reached closure with the idea and be deterred from posting their own theories.
edit on 6/1/2011 by BirdOfillOmen because: spelling

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Well sure it looks like the posture of 'Baphomet'. No one could deny that. I mean, he isn't sitting there with his legs crossed like Baphomet and sportin' a cosmic woodie, but from the torso up you got it nailed.

The image of Baphomet that most people think of when they think of Baphomet (and who really does besides you and I) was drawn by Eliphas Levi in 1854 and introduced in his book, Dogme et Rituel de la Haute Magie ("Dogmas and Rituals of High Magic") published in the same year.

Here is Levi's description of his composite symbol ('Sphinx) from the aforementioned book...

"The goat on the frontispiece carries the sign of the pentagram on the forehead, with one point at the top, a symbol of light, his two hands forming the sign of hermetism, the one pointing up to the white moon of Chesed, the other pointing down to the black one of Geburah. This sign expresses the perfect harmony of mercy with j
Justice.

His one arm is female, the other male like the ones of the androgyn of Khunrath, the attributes of which we had to unite with those of our goat because he is one and the same symbol.

The flame of intelligence shining between his horns is the magic light of the universal balance, the image of the soul elevated above matter, as the flame, whilst being tied to matter, shines above it.

The beast's head expresses the horror of the sinner, whose materially acting, solely responsible part has to bear the punishment exclusively; because the soul is insensitive according to its nature and can only suffer when it materializes.

The rod standing instead of genitals symbolizes eternal life, the body covered with scales the water, the semi-circle above it the atmosphere, the feathers following above the volatile. Humanity is represented by the two breasts and the androgyn arms of this sphinx of the occult sciences."

So there you go. For brevity's sake I will not post the Devil Trump of the Tarot but, of course, that has probably already crossed your mind as well.

The fun part is that if you seek out Eliphas Levi you will find that there is Eliphas Levi and then there is Eliphas Levi translated by Aleister Crowley. It is not always clear on any given document which is which.

Thanks for the opportunity to spew.

edit on 1-6-2011 by Frater210 because:

new topics

top topics

join