It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan wanting to beam solar energy from the moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Very interesting...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I've actually taught of this exact same idea before. ( And other energy theories I'm not telling cause I have no money to make them happen )

The plans were unveiled by Japanese construction giant Shimizu Corporation's research division, and would result in a 6,800 mile-long band stretching around the light side of the moon's equator.

I think this is a brilliant idea! I bet some would argue that it might make light pollution but I don't think it's a disadvantage worthy enough to not make this system worthwhile.

One could say it could also be used has a weapon which is probably what the UN will count on to make sure this type of unlimited energy won't happen. Maybe China should rule the world instead of TPTB!
I don't think Japan can pay for this anyway!
edit on 31-5-2011 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Isn't Japan terribly in debt? Even more so than the United States?

How would they finance such an operation?

Plus, they don't even have that large of a space program. How would they get it there?

But, that being said, it would be a great idea. Clean, extremely productive energy.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by User8911

It takes a devastating earthquake and a nuclear disaster to get the ball rolling on new ways to harness energy.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
oh wow, that would be soo crazy. I have a feeling the general populous wouldn't want anything huge being put on our moon though.

If they did, I feel like it would change our whole world. Like a new step for human kind. Building huge infrastructures on our moon and "using" our moon to harvest energy sounds like something out of a science fiction book. Wouldn't that mean that whenever we look up at the moon with telescopes, we'd see this huge thing?
The future is here!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Flag if you can, I want more opinions

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
They might have a friend in Germany that partner with them, now that they plan to opt-out of nuclear power?

Though this scheme seems like an unfeasible option in my opinion. Surely there are better ways to harness the energy from the sun, directly on earth.

What they should put on the moon is a giant SMILEY face! How cool would that be?

edit on 31-5-2011 by SpaceJockey1 because: Because I had an addition comment

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Sounds like a great idea. A guide laser to find target station on earth and a maser to transmit power. Have to have several stations around the earth for continuous power and a way to store it (maybe big capacitor banks) . Would make a great weapon if you could target concentrated energy on city.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
from the tick...

(:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
What happens when the moon is on the other side of the planet?

Even though the one side of the moon always faces the earth, that side is only reflecting sunlight for half of its orbital cycle/period WRT Earth (half of 27 d 7 h 43.1 min).

There is a similar problem with geostationary satellites.

The dreaded shadow

Maybe three (or more) geostationary satellites could achieve the required beam? Seems like the cost would outweigh the expense of coal/gas fired power production.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Geostationary sats have almost no solar blackouts. Compared with 14 days of night for the Moon , geostationary wins hands down.

Both sites get the same amount of solar energy per hour. But you have a big problem landing the infrastructure on the Moon.

If you compare cost per kilowatt hour, Earth based solar and wind win hands down. Especially for an island nation like Japan.

The whole thing is just another pipe dream.

top topics

join