It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Mulls Cuts to Food Stamps Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Brilliant... just brilliant.

Congress Mulls Cuts to Food Stamps Program Amid Record Number of Recipients

ABC News' Huma Khan reports: Congress is under pressure to cut the rapidly rising costs of the federal government’s food stamps program at a time when a record number of Americans are relying on it.

The House Appropriations Committee today will review the fiscal year 2012 appropriations bill for the Department of Agriculture that includes $71 billion for the agency’s “Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.” That’s $2 billion less than what President Obama requested but a 9 percent increase from 2011, which, critics say, is too large given the sizeable budget deficit.

A record number of Americans -- about 14 percent -- now rely on the federal government’s food stamps program and its rapid expansion in recent years has become a politically explosive topic.

More than 44.5 million Americans received SNAP benefits in March, an 11 percent increase from one year ago and nearly 61 percent higher than the same time four years ago.

Nearly 21 million households are reliant on food stamps.

Opponents of the program argue that money from the food stamps budget -- with what they call its increasingly lax requirements -- needs to be shifted to other programs such as education and child nutrition. The program’s supporters argue that at a time of economic decline, such welfare programs are even more important to try to keep Americans from spiraling into poverty.

The cost of the food stamps program has increased rapidly since it was established by Congress in 1964.

It cost taxpayers more than $68 billion last year, double the amount in 2007.

That is crazy... Cutting food stamps... most people who receive them really really really need those...

Let's spend 700+ billion on wars, let's give 40 billion to middle-east countries, let's give several billions in foreign aid to Israel/Pakistan/Egypt but SCREW THE POOR IN AMERICA!!

This is sickening.

Time To Celebrate The Recovery: Food Stamp Usage Hits Fresh Record

That average monthly benefit of $133.24 for 44.199 million people will help with the purchase of one third of a very edible iPad. Food stamp participation chart presented without further commentary.

edit on 31-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

needs to be shifted to other programs such as education and child nutrition. The program’s supporters argue that at a time of economic decline, such welfare programs are even more important to try to keep Americans from spiraling into poverty.

Americans are already in poverty if they qualify for foodstamps... and to be shifted to other programs such as education and child nutrition??? Our kids NEED TO EAT to have nutrition and to LEARN while in school instead of suffering malnutrition and hunger. They cannot learn without proper nutrition and food.

This is the stuff that makes me sick: $2 million Lotto winner still qualifies AND COLLECTS foodstamps, and is NOT ashamed of it

news.yahoo.com...
"If you're going to try to make me feel bad, you're not going to do it," Fick told WNEM-TV in Saginaw on Monday.

Leroy Fick, 59, of Auburn won $2 million in the state lottery TV show "Make Me Rich!" last June. But the state's Department of Human Services determined he was still eligible for food stamps, Fick's attorney, John Wilson of Midland, said Tuesday. Eligibility for food stamps is based on gross income and follows federal guidelines; lottery winnings are considered liquid assets and don't count as income. As long as Fick's gross income stays below the eligibility requirement for food stamps, he can receive them, even if he has a million dollars in the bank.

edit on 31-5-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Now when crime hits the ceiling SHTF style, these pathetic useless spineless coward policy makers will scratch their heads wondering 'urgh, now why is this happening?' You Americans really need to get a backbone and stick it up these pathetic crooks!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Makes one wonder who their enemies really are. Give aide to foreign nations and cut-off their own people, call them lazy, unable to get jobs, and useless. Cut their teachers, increase police, let out felons from prison. Give money to banks, allow banks to foreclose on homeowners without any type of help. We can only imagine why they want to do this. They want people to beg for a new monetary system that will fix everything. I suppose that new monetary system will come from the IMF. Then everything will appear to be fixed, except we will all be controlled. Isn't this what happened in the 1930's. Didn't the banking industry nearly collapse the economy then strong-armed congress with a fiat currency solution?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
In Michigan where I come from food stamps have become a way of life. Back in the 90's when I finished school I was making $16 an hour till the jobs disappeared. Now I'm luckey if I could find work at Walmart for minimum wage. Until I can make a living wage in the richest country on earth I'll be happy to sponge off the system.

My grandfather was at Ohmaha Beach Normandy. My grandmother worked at the local tank plant and built parts for the bombs that were dropped on Japan. They worked thier whole lives in the factories and help build this country into what was so they and thier children could have better lives.

My generation gets totally screwed so some greedy ceo can line his pockets. All because 1 billion dollars aint enough for him he has to have 5 billion dollars.
edit on 1-6-2011 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Wow. More extremely damaging yet relatively minuscule cuts at a time when people need something most. Talk about confusing motion with progress, or sanity for that matter..

How about we renegotiate our interest rates on all that foreign debt or cut all foreign aid to all countries (like Egypt, Pakistan, Iraq, and Afghanistan) for, say, a year to start, and use those hundreds upon hundreds of billions to refocus our priorities back onto our nation? You know, take care of our own first by doing something that makes a real difference.

Congress needs to stop "mulling" and start screaming. And Americans need to kick them in their asses. Now..

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I'd agree with you if it were Americans who were getting most of the help, unfortunately 57% of illegal immigrant headed households recieve food stamps as compared to 39% of American citizen headed households.Source

Illegal immigrant households with children primarily use food assistance and Medicaid, making almost no use of cash or housing assistance. In contrast, legal immigrant households tend to have relatively high use rates for every type of program.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Census: Most illegal alien families on government dole - National Law Enforcement | Examiner.com www.examiner.com...

Sorry It's 39% American and 57% Illegal Immigrants.

And oops My wording was wrong Thanks for pointing that out it's well past 1 am here and I am tired made an error in the wording.

edit on 1-6-2011 by ldyserenity because: fix error

edit on 1-6-2011 by ldyserenity because: fix error

edit on 1-6-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling

edit on 1-6-2011 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I have been a person known to slam social welfare programs and will continue to be one of those people but I am also a person who is a realist. We have created a situation where cutting or even abandoning this program anytime soon would immediately send us spiraling into oblivion. First off we should never have begun any federal social welfare which people have become so heavily dependent. Second we should never have allowed our manufacturing base to crumble and our trade policies to help foreign countries at our expenses thus pushing people onto the teat of public welfare.

Now the country is broke, people are only on food stamps 9 times out of 10 because it is out of necessity. When prices for everything skyrocket and jobs pay far less, if you can even find one, people will have to rely on these programs to eat.

There is one thing all here must know about the conservatives of the past, the "no welfare" crowd. They most definitely abhorred any thought of foreign aid, large military, and foreign entanglements. Until we accept that idea again there is no way to justify cuts to social welfare. Unless we cut the war spending, foreign aid, and billions spent on worthless supranational organizations it is unconscionable to even propose cuts to domestic social welfare, education, and public sector workforce jobs.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

If there are 44,400,000 Americans on food stamps program and 57% of those are illegal immigrants than that means there are 25,308,000 illegals on food stamps. Now that is quite a significant number especially considering that estimates place the illegal immigrant population of the United States at 11,000,000. So if every single illegal immigrant in the US was on food stamps that would account for about 24.8% of the food stamp recipients.

It appears to me that whoever wrote the article you posted needs to go back to school and learn basic math again.

of an estimated 11 million illegal immigrants living in the United States...

Link

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

If there are 44,400,000 Americans on food stamps program and 57% of those are illegal immigrants than that means there are 25,308,000 illegals on food stamps. Now that is quite a significant number especially considering that estimates place the illegal immigrant population of the United States at 11,000,000. So if every single illegal immigrant in the US was on food stamps that would account for about 24.8% of the food stamp recipients.

It appears to me that whoever wrote the article you posted needs to go back to school and learn basic math again.

Link

That report does come straight from the Census. I don't know what I did to my Census report link but it was in their report, that's all I can tell you. It didn't just come from the Examiner I researched it through the Census too, because this was part of my Composition report. The difference in the numbers I don't know what happened there you'd have to ask the Census Bureau.
edit on 1-6-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling

What it's said which I misworded it so 57% of the 11 bil illegals here recieve as opposed to 39% of the legal citizens of America. Sorry, Thanks for catching that.
edit on 1-6-2011 by ldyserenity because: to add.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Link

Thing is, the 11 million number has been parroted for years now... and it's always the government number.

You ask many organizations who monitor illegal immigration and they'll tell you the real number is more around 20-30 million illegals.

So he's not wrong.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
My ex chooses not to work. She sells junk at the flea market. For 15.5 years she collected child support from me and cried poverty to the government so she could collect food stamps and free medical care. Now she gets free college (4years) on top of everything else.
It’s funny how someone with a house and 42 acres (worth more than mine), and a newer car is able to get all these freebies and I qualify for nothing.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

$71 billion for the agency’s “Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.” which, critics say, is too large.

But the bastards think that it is fine to give trillions to the corrupt banking & military systems.

Feeding the people is more important than banks & bombs.
edit on 1-6-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
lol, what a crock of chit.
Just wait til these folks don't get
their monthly allowance and you
will def see chit hit the fan.

U thought the Watts riots were bad ???
U thought the Harlem riots were bad ???

u ain't seen nothing yet !!!

yea, go ahead and cut those checks out
and see what happens. I dare ya !!!
I'm just gonna sit back and watch

edit on 6/1/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

lol, what a crock of chit.
Just wait til these folks don't get
their monthly allowance and you
will def see chit hit the fan.

U thought the Watts riots were bad ???
U thought the Harlem riots were bad ???

u ain't seen nothing yet !!!

yea, go ahead and cut those checks out
and see what happens. I dare ya !!!
I'm just gonna sit back and watch

That's why they are so busy getting the FEMA camps ready.
edit on 1-6-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

And just where are those camps. I've been looking and ythe only place i can find them is on the internet. They don't exist in real life. Come on just one

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I'm not surprised, they always want to cut from the poorest of the poor yet don't think twice about spending billions of dollars waging war. Very sad in my opinion. I worked for the county welfare program and back in '08 when things got really ugly the office was busy. People don't like going in to apply for "welfare" and for some it's really a blow to the ego but when you kids what do you do? Swallow your pride I guess.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
reply to post by acrux

And just where are those camps. I've been looking and ythe only place i can find them is on the internet. They don't exist in real life. Come on just one

Here's the map and list

maps.google.com...

I wish I knew an "insider" on all this FEMA camp stuff so we could know for sure what is going on. If I'm ever travelling in the general direction of one I will definitely be driving by and checking it out to see if it is staffed, looks prepared and "lived in" from the outside anyway. But I don't travel much...and I live in a rural area not real close to any on the list.

new topics

join