It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Bloody Business

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this Serafine. I cannot watch the video; I feel too deeply for the plight of our friends the animals.

I realize that this thread is about treating animals to be slaughtered humanely but it is my fondest wish that one day we will completely stop murdering our fellow sentient beings.

I hope that every discussion that is raised brings us one step closer.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men." Leonardo da Vinci

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by Serafine

This is nothing new.................read Gail Eisnitz's Slaughter House.

All I am asking is that they are slaughtered quickly and humanely with no pain.

"This is nothing new..." ? I understand, I think, what you mean in that statement as "this" Live Cattle from Australia being shipped to Indonesia began in the early 90s. It is new to the Australian Public which saw this documentary / story only a few days ago.

The industry and government have looked into this issue in 2010 and a blatant "official" and "expert" report was released basically putting a positive "good mark" on Indonesian treatment of Australian cattle. "A Bloody Business" report blew all that "expert" nonsense off the table and Australians got to see what really happens.

Thank you for all the relative and spin off sources to consider... This is new and it is HOT in Australia at the moment. Most of the farmers raising cattle had no idea of this. We have 50 steer on this property at the moment and the whole region here had no idea... so it is "new" in that the "business as usual" and the big business and government vague, euphemistic and outright P R Handling of this issue has been challenged by investigative reporting and FILMING.

The exposure of it to Australians is much like the exposure of this story and THIS ( Live Australian Cattle ) shipments issue being exposed on ATS. It's news... it is new. Will it fade away? Will it be commented on by people who didn't read the posts? the story? People who didn't watch the video? Will countless spin-offs be posted to distract and create the most vague threads, till Australians and ATS "move along" to the next distraction?

It will be interesting to monitor how this will be handled, not only in Australia, but even here. There are many girls, just as in the Photo you posted. Many of them here in Australia and they had no idea of how their cattle are treated in Indonesia. Now not only have all the farmers been enlightened, the children have as good and well. It is NOT easy to watch the whole story.

Now the Billion(s) dollar industry and the Australian government will have pressure put on it and it will be VERY interesting to watch this. What groups say... What individuals and politicians and "experts" and what the government "officially".. not only says, but does. So far it's been the most obvious and basic P R spinning and handling.. Little with real substance. Or as I've posted in the beginning of this thread...

"Some call this business as usual."

ofhumandescent, thanks again for the additional sources and will you tell me if you watched the whole video / story? I understand bandwidth affects some people regarding video sources, but the "subject" of the thread is in it and / or, much reading. If you've been involved in this, such as many people who have read Brigitte Bardot's work concerning animal treatment, good on you. Now the whole nation of Australia has been awakened to a very real issue. Let's hope the masses aren't lulled back to sleep or waved off with insincere actions and images of "handling it" all the while, with NO SUBSTANCE.

edit on 2011/6/3 by Serafine because: basic editing

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
There's always a solution but people got so used to eating anything and everything that moves, they forgot when to stop. Why not try protein shakes, in a pill as supplements? Surely, people are more advanced in thinking and compassion by now. Maybe I'm wrong this time again.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Serafine

In reply to your question...........I could not bring myself to watch any of the video. The picture you see above of the girl with the cow is not of me, but around every noon when I wasn't in school, I would take a nap with Molly exactly like you see in the picture. I would lay back on her and she would lay her head across me like that and we would take a two hour nap together.

My girls were well aware that they out weighted me by a thousand pounds or more, they were always careful not to hurt me.........I was very small and thin and they were very gentle around me.

Molly was a most wonderful being, she was the sweetest and most gentle cow.

Sorry, I am well aware of how our meat all over the planet is both transported and butchered. I just could not allow myself to be depressed more so I did not watch the video.

Here in the US where butchering practices are suppose to be "regulated" they fall very very short of humane. The stun guns are not always working and my girlfriend's brother, who has worked at a slaughter house for years says it is very common for animals, all of them, cows, chicken, pigs, to have very painful deaths.

When they sold our farm, Grandpa did not tell me about the cows going to slaughter, I went down one day to feed them as usual - and Molly was gone, they were all gone.

I cry as I keyboard this....................Since that day I very rarely ate cow, now I haven't eaten cow in many years. I still eat some chicken (our chickens were mean) and wild salmon.

I have never eaten a baby animal.

The chicken I do eat (very little, I'm old and don't need much protein) comes from a farm in my state that I have visited and know the people. They are organically fed, no growth hormones and are allowed to roam a nice big clean grassy yard. I have not checked out how they are killed because the one time I saw a chicken killed (Grandpa was going to show me how to do it) I fainted, they carried me into the house and for two days I was in a "shock state"................I actually lost two days of memory from this horrible event.

They said that they almost had to take me to the hospital because I was catatonic. Than I snapped out of it with no memory of that day or a couple days that followed.

I agree we must kill our meat because the human body does require protein, it must be done humanely.................the people that do kill our meat must be sure to do it fast and well.

For me this is a sad subject, Molly was like a dog to me, she had a still born and stood over it crying, yes cows can cry. Daisy also had a baby right around the same time and she didn't want to mother (nurse or kiss Baby Joey). Daisy wanted to go back and "dance with El Toro"..............so Molly nursed and adopted Baby Joey.

But than one morning I woke up........................and they were gone.

I did not speak to Grandpa after that, I never made my peace with him, for that I am sorry but my eight girls were not just "things" they were wonderful beings, each with a personality and I know this must sound stupid and silly, but for those of you that call me silly, have you ever had a cow lick you, cuddle you like a big old dog, get all excited at seeing you coming towards them?

We humans don't even call our meat what it is we use pretty fancy words to masquerade what we eat.

We call pig, pork, or bacon
We call a baby cow, veal
We call cows, hamburger, steak, etc

Molly knew her name...............she would come when I called her.
She would cuddle with me and was very affectionate just like a dog.

Lastly, please read "Slaughterhouse" by Gail Eisnitz.

America is suppose to have a high standard for "processing" our protein food but the cattle association is one of the strongest and biggest lobbyists in Washington and they can do this "process" anyway they want for "profit".

And yes, cows are not the brightest creatures on earth, but if I had a choice, I would have rather spent more time with Molly than a lot of humans I have known. She was a simple, gentle, kind and affectionate creature.

Everyone has their own little quirks, I'm very sentimental when it comes to cows.

edit on 3-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

reply to post by ofhumandescent

hello Illusionsaregrander, ofhumandescent ... and others.

An [color=aqua]UPDATE on A Bloody Business

May 31 Government investigates cruelty in live cattle trade to Indonesia

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join