It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detect and Understand genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I’m not sure what the general consensus is regarding genetically modified foods; whether most people don’t believe in them, or if most do. If most are accepting of them, or if most are not. That being said, I would guess that most people who’ve heard the term GMO foods, or similar, do believe they are used and do not wish to consume them. I would also guess, however, that the majority of people have not heard of them. The point of this thread is to provide some information from both sides of the argument (though admittedly slightly biased)so that you can make your own decisions, as well, for those who are concerned and don’t want modified foods, I will provide you some information so you can detect these modified foods; especially if you are in a country that isn’t mandated by law to label them.
For a quick introduction to modified foods, please watch this quick 8 minute video on the matter.

Countries such as New Zealand and Japan do not allow the use of genetically modified organisms while countries such as the United States and Canada not only allow the modified organism to be used, but don’t even regulate that the food should be labeled when it’s modified. Some countries, especially European, do use modified foods, however, must label them so their consumers can make the decision for themselves.

For those of you who have not heard of genetically modified foods, there is a good chance the majority of what you eat has been modified; depending on what country, state or province or city you live in, and the regulations governing modified foods in your area. For the most part, I believe it’s claimed that modified foods serve a purpose which is overall good. Making such claims as being able to grow larger vegetables and/ or animals; to include more nutrients in the food; to make the plant/ animal stronger against the elements, etcetera…etcetera….

Transgenic plants have been engineered to possess several desirable traits, such as resistance to pests, herbicides, or harsh environmental conditions, improved product shelf life, and increased nutritional value. Since the first commercial cultivation of genetically modified plants in 1996, they have been modified to be tolerant to the herbicides glufosinate and glyphosate, to be resistant to virus damage as in Ringspot virus-resistant GM papaya, grown in Hawaii, and to produce the Bt toxin, an insecticide that is non-toxic to mammals.

Source
While this may be true and fine and dandy, it does have it’s drawbacks. Chickens, pigs and cows grow too rapidly and too big, unable to support themselves. They grow tumorous, but since they will QUICKLY be ground for meat, are left without medical treatment. Plants are modified to produce only one yield and no seeds; and are too easily cross pollinated with non-modified crops…this is slowly eliminating the existence of non modified foods. Once a farmer’s crops are cross pollinated with modified crops, those farmers are then sued. As the following eye opening movie will detail.

Food Inc was premiered on CBS…
Source
And the following article will detail even further…

The genetically modified foods controversy is a dispute over the relative advantages and disadvantages of genetically modified (GM) food crops and other uses of genetically-modified organisms in food production. The dispute involves biotechnology companies, governmental regulators, non-governmental organizations and scientists. The dispute is most intense in Japan and Europe, where public concern about GM food is higher than in other parts of the world such as the United States. In the United States GM crops are more widely grown and the introduction of these products has been less controversial. The five key areas of political controversy related to genetically engineered food are food safety, the effect on natural ecosystems, gene flow into non GE crops, moral/religious concerns, and corporate control of the food supply. To date, not a single instance of harm to human health has been documented with GM crops. (My personal note…I doubt this latter.)

Source
There is also the concern by some who believe in a mass depopulation agenda that these modified foods have had important nutrients removed…

“The U.N. has put out dozens of reports calling for an 80% reduction in population (most put the number at 90%). At the 1997 Women’s World Conference in Beijing, the head of the U.N. Food Program said, “We will use food as a weapon against the people.”” In conjunction with Codex Alimentarius, food will be limited and water consumption will be decreased to 10 gallons per day, per person. The average American uses 140 gallons of water every day. The food provided will be Genetically Modified and nutrient deficient.

Source
So how do you make a decision? Well in my opinion, anything not natural is not natural, and should be avoided. Could it help provide food to impoverished or devastated countries, it’s claimed it could; but perhaps those countries themselves might disagree…
Haiti Burns 400 Tones of Monsanto Seeds
On the other hand, genetically modified foods have been used since at least the 80’s, and have supposedly had no bad side effects, at least to humans. There’s a good chance many of you have been eating nothing but modified foods since birth. So how do you feel? Do you feel you could be healthier or loose weight? or do you feel you have fully met your potential? These thoughts could help you make a decision.

How, then can we identify these modified foods when there is no required label? First, if it says it’s 100% organic, it should be. So that’s how you know if something is NOT modified, but not the only way, I suppose. In regards to produce; vegetables and fruit, seasonings and nuts, it’s as simple as looking at the PLU code on the produce sticker or packaging.

The IFPS shall be responsible for deciding the assignment and definition of qualifying prefix digits
for international recognition. At present, only three digits have been allocated:
0 Applies to all non-qualified produce and is generally presented without the leading
"zero" digit.
8 Genetically modified
9 Organic
Growing Methodology Identification – Leading digit indicators (i.e. “9” or “8”) may be adopted for use on non-conventionally grown product such as organic and genetically
modified/engineered items. (Please see “Frequently Asked Questions in this chapter.) Although the correct key entry of this leading digit, in combination with the PLU, offers the ability to identify these products (often sold at a premium price), experience has shown that cashiers often ignore this leading digit with a resulting loss in revenue at retail checkout. Consideration should therefore be given to a clear visual identification of organic, or genetically modified items through a visually obvious means such as bright colored labels or clear use of the word “organic”, etc. (taking into consideration the previous information relative to peripheral information).

Source
I do want to note that while these codes will tell you about your food’s growth, if present, the PLU number is not mandatory by law…so not all produce products will have the PLU number present. They are mainly used to help the grocer know how much to charge for any given specific product.

So What about meat then?

Purchase beef that is 100% grass-fed. Most cattle in the U.S. are grass-fed, but spend the last portion of their lives in feedlots where they may be given GM corn, the purpose of which is to increase intramuscular fat and marbling. If you're looking to stay away from GMOs, make sure the cattle were 100% grass-fed or pasture-fed (sometimes referred to as grass-finished or pasture-finished). The same applies to meat from other herbivores such as sheep. There is also the slight possibility that the animals were fed GM alfalfa, although this is less likely if you buy meat locally. With non-ruminants like pigs and poultry that cannot be 100% grass-fed, it's better to look for meat that is 100% organic.

Source
I know, not much help on the meat, right. Well in all fairness, meat is NOT a necessary staple in the human diet…in fact, meat is a detriment. It has been proven that an entirely raw foods diet (raw vegetables and fruit, unroasted nuts and seeds) have reversed the side effects of supposed aging. Not that it matters, I’m sure, But I knew an old man who’s hair had graying and receding and who’s gum lines had began receding, and who regained all of it after changing his diet to strictly raw foods. I managed it for a year, and was unbelievably healthy. During this time I got a flu and was 103 degrees, but didn’t even know I was sick, was only cold then hot. But that’s another thread in it’s entirety. Sorry I’m not much help on the meat aspect. I could suggest buying locally, from butchers or, preferable, from farmers themselves; since then, you could ask the farmers directly. Definitely avoid fast foods and other processed foods. If anyone else has any other identifying techniques for meat, please post them.

After getting this information, I took it upon myself to take some pictures of the PLU numbers of products I have in my own fridge. Interestingly enough I discovered the PLU on ALL of my vegetables and fruit, those that had it, were only 4 digits, indicating a prefix number of 0. I wanted to include my pictures as I suspected to find some examples of each. Instead of adding those pictures, I ill describe my experience in looking for the PLU number.

For the most part, it’s always on the sticker on the fruit or vegetable, depending on the food. I found the PLU on the bags for grapes and baby bok choy. I have not found any PLU on my bread, and bread and other products that have several ingredients as bread does, will have a PLU number.

I hope this can act as some assistance to those who wish to understand and detect modified foods, whether you wish to avoid or consume these products; though I wouldn’t recommend the latter. Please feel free to include any information you deem relevant.
Peace and One Love
edit on 31-5-2011 by Scorpitarius because: to fix a vid!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
this could almost be condsiderd propaganda for gmo but it provides an argumnet that not gmo is bad, and has some advantages, such as helping feed poeple
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

Propaganda "FOR" GMO? I'm pretty clear throughout my thread that I am not for GMO. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.
As for providing both sides of the argument, please re read the first paragraph...

The point of this thread is to provide some information from both sides of the argument (though admittedly slightly biased)

Peace and One Love

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Scorpitarius

sorry by that i maent the link i posted was, it was something in support of gmo

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

Oh my bad. I'm very sorry, I thought you meant my thread.
Interesting video you posted. It seems like this video is doing what my thread did, but veering in the opposite direction I did, lol.
Peace and One Love

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Scorpitarius

i was more trying to poi nt out that gmo was not orgional intended to ruin the world the way its has, but your op is still good work showing all the problems it has caused
edit on 5-6-2011 by connorromanow because: (no reason given)

top topics

join