It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London HIV services cut by 20% as infections rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

London HIV services cut by 20% as infections rise

www.bbc.co.uk

London's HIV prevention groups have said they are "concerned" and "outraged" at a 20% funding cut.

Inner North West London Primary Care Trust (PCT), which manages the Pan London HIV Prevention Programme, has cut the budget for 2011-12 by £516,000.

Meanwhile, the number of Londoners with HIV who acquired the infection in the UK has more than doubled in the past decade, latest figures show.

The PCT said it wanted resources to be targeted "more effectively".

Latest figures show the number of people in London diagnosed with HIV acquired in the UK has increased from 660 in 2001
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Well, looks like we have this increase in HIV to be wary of too among all the other stuff going on... this increase has come over the last decade with the increase in Immigration!!

Now i'm not saying it is the increase in Immgration which has presented us with an increase of HIV among the populace but it must come into consideration along with the increase in gay activity as it clearly states that 1 in 7 gays are infected with it!!

I've also heard of people who give it to others knowing they have it but dont tell their partners!!

Another link here where a woman has been bitten by an Asylum Seeker who has it:

www.bbc.co.uk...

This place is becoming more and more infested with diseases.... when will the bad news stop?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I'm sure a big majority of that is sexually related and so my advice for that is learn to wrap up.

However violent attacks to give someone HIV or to even give it someone on purpose should lead to imprisonment and deporation(if an immigrant) and yes, it is outrageous that they are making so many cuts but it's not just this.

let's hope things get better.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
HIV rates have gone up because of the previous governments open door policy on immigration.

We have health tourists.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I think you might have nailed this one. I was just reading the Health Protection Agency's site and found this. At first it seems as if HIV treatment is not free and that only testing and counselling are free for foreigners.

Services free to all

• Treatment for communicable diseases (see regulations for exact list)
  • Treatment for sexually transmitted infections
  • Diagnosis and counselling in relation to HIV (but not treatment)

hpa.org.uk

• But then upon further investigation there are groups that can receive free HIV medication

Asylum seekers have a right to free HIV treatment for as long as their claim is being considered and this period includes any process of appeals. Furthermore, if an HIV-positive asylum seeker is being seen for HIV treatment and care by the NHS then this treatment can continue free of charge even after an asylum claim is finally denied.

www.namlife.org...

So I guess if you travel to the UK, seek asylum, and then declare that you have HIV you get free treatment for forever. That's quite an offer.
    edit on 31-5-2011 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:34 PM
    link   
    reply to post by dbates

Along with the extravagant benefit system a lot of asylum seekers come to the UK for. Without wanting to sound too "daily mailish" everything is paid for the house, the bills, the healthcare, etc.

But I don't think there is much the British Government can do on asylum seekers is there? I am sure the numbers are dictated by Europe as ourselves and Germany have to take in so many because we have the largest economies. Don't hold me to that though.
    edit on 31/5/2011 by Geordie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join