It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Deemphasizing scripture" : The ugly Christian fault line nobody wants to talk about.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil

It's not my business to interfere with or comment on the way your congregation, denomination or whatever decides who can be members of your club.

Well don't then! Why have you come along to sneer? Please, do us all a favour and go away! (I would say it more strongly and more idiomatically, but that would be rude on at least 2 levels.)

If you had any interest whatsoever in actually learning anything, you'd get a better answer, but I am ashamed of myself for being taken in by you before. I know now I was wasting my time.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

It's not my business to interfere with or comment on the way your congregation, denomination or whatever decides who can be members of your club.

Well don't then! Why have you come along to sneer? Please, do us all a favour and go away! (I would say it more strongly and more idiomatically, but that would be rude on at least 2 levels.)

If you had any interest whatsoever in actually learning anything, you'd get a better answer, but I am ashamed of myself for being taken in by you before. I know now I was wasting my time.

If you had included the whole paragraph from me, which you here partly quote, it could possibly put things in another light.

Here it goes, my original comment:

Quote from myself to SaberTruth: ["It's not my business to interfere with or comment on the way your congregation, denomination or whatever decides who can be members of your club. But you are going far beyond that by suggesting this ideological fascism of yours to include everyone, who in some way is associated with the bible/christianity or a Jesus movement."]

It's no secret, that the christianities have been and are involved in conflicts with each other. Sometimes so violent, that it makes an impact on society as a whole, thus making it everybody's concern.

It's regrettable that you take such a polarized attitude towards me, and feel 'cheated' (?) by me, but that's how it is from your perspective, and you're entitled to it.

It hasn't changed my opinion of what I consider your good points. If I felt otherwise, I would certainly let you know.

edit on 3-6-2011 by bogomil because: additional info and better paragraphing

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Thank you to all posters for your thoughtful and interesting comments.

Perhaps frustratingly, nobody but God gets to know/decide who the "real" Christians are. All we can do in the meantime is aspire to the ideals set forth in the Word, as we understand them. My personal frustration is with a mentality that takes an unbalanced attitude, favoring words at the expense of deeds. I cannot help but believe that true Christianity must be about words and deeds.

Oh, and by the way, if I'm a little childish, silly, immature, crass, or eccentric in some unbecoming way on other, non-Christian parts of ATS, I hope my Christian brothers and sisters would be so kind as to be a little forgiving and indulgent...I am a Christian, but I never claimed to be a very good Christian.

May Christ be with you!

edit on 3-6-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Quote from myself to SaberTruth: ["It's not my business to interfere with or comment on the way your congregation, denomination or whatever decides who can be members of your club. But you are going far beyond that by suggesting this ideological fascism of yours to include everyone, who in some way is associated with the bible/christianity or a Jesus movement."]

It's no secret, that the christianities have been and are involved in conflicts with each other. Sometimes so violent, that it makes an impact on society as a whole, thus making it everybody's concern.

It's regrettable that you take such a polarized attitude towards me, and feel 'cheated' (?) by me, but that's how it is from your perspective, and you're entitled to it.

It hasn't changed my opinion of what I consider your good points. If I felt otherwise, I would certainly let you know.

I think that you vastly exaggerate the effect on society of clashes between "Christianities". IMO there has not been any societal impact since the 17th century.
I feel cheated, because it seemed to me that you were interested in discussion, rather than point-scoring but your post here, showed me otherwise.

V

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl

The bible is an indispensible part of all real Christianity as the Word of God and I would never argue against that.

Neither would I, but for a different reason.

The "word of god" shows how tyrannical 'he' is.

Most christians don't read their own bibles, and those that do, can't see what's in it. If they did, they would see that it is nothing but one bloodbath / disaster after another, in the OT and NT. Yet they call it the "good book". There is nothing good about it.

However, I don't fault them for this. I was a christian at one time too. I read the bible. I glossed right over these bloodbaths. To me, they were mere words on a page, nothing more. It's funny how that works. And when specific examples are pointed out to christians by others, christians don't acknowledge them. I was an exception. I acknowledged them and I went looking for answers.

It is programming that started when I was a kid and it took a long time to beat that programming. I know how difficult that is.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

I think that you vastly exaggerate the effect on society of clashes between "Christianities". IMO there has not been any societal impact since the 17th century.
I feel cheated, because it seemed to me that you were interested in discussion, rather than point-scoring but your post here, showed me otherwise.

V

It's not that long ago as the 17th century, that such clashes took place.

To avoid the political implications of the irish situation, I can use an example from my own very secular country.

The pentacostals became vey popular here and had actually some clashes with the 'public' church, leading to political consequences.

This conflict manifested as late as twenty years ago, when an issue concerning secular adminstration (national registration and similar) was 'challenged' by the pentacostals, so I now have to go 40 miles in car to get documents instead of just calling the former local public-church parish administration.

And while it was free before, I now have to pay for some of it.

I hope this example gives some justification for my attitudes at a down-to-earth level (for the duration not touching greater, global issues).

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

To avoid the political implications of the irish situation, I can use an example from my own very secular country.

Very wise of you, as even the most dedicated atheists won't touch the Irish situation, and all of them admit how political it all really is!
(My son studied the issue at high school, he knows much more about than I do. Two thirds of all New Zealanders are of Scots descent. Of the remaining 3rd, most are Irish... That's why Irish history is taught in New Zealand schools, and none other! It's considered to be New Zealand history... :lol
But my son (who BTW is atheist) informed me that the Catholic/Protestant division in Ireland is simply a label of convenience.
Obviously I have no comment on your country's history, I don't even know what your country is! (Bulgaria to judge by your name, although I could be wrong.)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join