It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tunnel found under temple in Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I already did a quick search and I found a thread last year regarding a similar story. That thread was about the Temple of the Sun, this discovery is about the Temple of the Snake.

Researchers found a tunnel under the Temple of the Snake in the pre-Hispanic city of Teotihuacan, about 28 miles northeast of Mexico City.

The tunnel had apparently been sealed off around 1,800 years ago

Experts found "a route of symbols, whose conclusion appears to lie in the funeral chambers at the end of the tunnel."

The structure is 15 yards beneath the ground, and it runs eastwards. It is about 130 yards long.

"At the end, there are several chambers which could hold the remains of the rulers of that Mesoamerican civilization. If confirmed, it will be one of the most important archaeological discoveries of the 21st century on a global scale," Gomez Chavez said late Thursday.

Tunnel found under temple in Mexico

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Hope it leads to discoveries that can ad to the understanding we have today,
other than that amazing to see its quitet old, and hasnt been touched for sometime now.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Its a fascinating discovery no doubt...but the most important find of the 21st century...well, granted, we are new into the century, but still, a bit of hyperbole dontcha think...

great, they found a crypt of some ancient rulers...truely fascinating...but will it rewrite all the history books? will it somehow give us new insight into what it means to be human?

:-\

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Great find S & F

50 Bucks says they'll find out that the original builders were Olmec!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Griffo

Great find S & F

50 Bucks says they'll find out that the original builders were Olmec!

Now that would be funny.. On a more serious note, if these temples were... did you say Aztec, if the rulers were buried there, there was never a body found for Montezuma, if his priest somehow got him there it truly would be (even though it could be already), the greatest find of the 21st century.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Dominikas

Actually the Aztec were johnny come latelys compared to the Olmecs.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e7c0839bc77e.jpg[/atsimg]

Pyramid of the Sun

History The name Pyramid of the Sun comes from the Aztecs, who visited the city of Teotihuacan centuries after it was abandoned; the name given to the pyramid by the Teotihuacan's is unknown.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

True yes they were late comers compared to the Olmec, however I'm just saying that it could be possible as a holy site.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The mythical place of origin to the Nahuatl speaking peoples is called Chicomoztoc. The painting of the seven caves of Chicomoztoc shows seven family groups leaving a bulbous underground orb. The bent top is unique to these cultures. The image of the seven caves almost looks like the Cashew fruit, which originally came from Brazil.

Chicomoztoc

History books tell us the Conquistadors never found the legendary cities of gold but these same books tell us the Spaniards made gold worthless because they brought back so much. A chicken was worth more than a lump of gold. Most of this gold came from south America. Legends say sheets of gold overlaid many structures in south America.

The population explosion of Mesoamerica, it would seem, had its start in central America. A long lost island chain probably connected to the Galapagos island group. The limited population of native Americans in north America are a tell tale sign that the Asian trickle from the Bearing Straight was small compared to central America. It’s even possible that most northern native Americans originated from the ancestors of the Aztecs. There are ancient place names in the pacific northwest that echo the Nahuatl tongue.

Tualatin = Tuality = Lazy river
Tillamook = Land of many waters
Umatilla = Rippling water

Notice the common sounding letters of “tla” make the word for water. The “tla” must have come from the Aztec rain god called Tlaloc. Since the name “tla” reached all the way up to the pacific northwest then those native Americans must have come from central America and not from the Bearing Straight.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Dominikas

Pyramid of the Sun

History The name Pyramid of the Sun comes from the Aztecs, who visited the city of Teotihuacan centuries after it was abandoned; the name given to the pyramid by the Teotihuacan's is unknown.

Do you know if there are original names for the other pyramids?
The names we know of today are just inventions and have in fact nothing to do with the pyramids itselfs.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

The pyramid would have been called "Place of Emergence" by the Teotihuacanos because of the sacred cave directly beneath the very center of the pyramid. Archeologists discovered the cave more than 60 years ago. They concluded the cave was natural but that the original inhabitants carved it out to be clover-leaf-shaped. There are numerous legends that say the Mesoamericans started their civilization after coming out of the earth. Makes you wonder if these were the survivors of a great cataclysm on the surface.

I obtained this information from the book, "Atlas of Ancient America" by Michael Coe, Dean Snow and Elizabeth Benson.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

I believe it was built and abandoned over 10k years ago

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

Thank you.I will search on that tomorrow and do a bit of more searches on the subject.

I will put my question a bit different, are there any markings, ancient writings on the pyramids and temples that could give us a clue of a name or something?
I mean, if you build such monuments, that had a specific meaning for a civilisation, you would leave something mentioning its purpose,no?
Thats why i asked for any original names that could maybe tell us more.
What names do the locals have for them? I bet they dont call it pyramid of the sun, the feathered serpent or temple of the great jaguar, or do they?
I havent done any research on this but maybe someone here has.
thank you

edit: What about other pyramids around the world? If none of them have writings of some sort, could it be that they were all build to serve a same purpose?
edit on 3-6-2011 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join