It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biker activists shut down Westboro Baptists in Joplin, Missouri

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Well... OK... for the sake of those poor misguided WBC folk, I suppose it's only right to round up all those people in the video and give them their day in court. Feel better if it comes out that way? By the looks of the numbers in the video, I'm guessing that'd be about the same numbers as the G20 protestors in Toronto last year.

Rattlesnakes, sticks to poke with, snake bite, anti-venom drugs, hospital bills... all painful and expensive.

I sense the American public may soon consistently break the law when it comes to the sick antics of the WBC after this Joplin escapade. Revolution is in the air and the monkeys are getting all jittery.

edit on 31/5/11 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by budski

And I am saying let the law deal with it afterwards instead of preemptively.

Let things unfold naturally, and then let the law sort out who was right and who was wrong and to what degree, but don't divert resources away from a rescue effort to protect a group of idiots that have traveled a thousand miles intent on getting into a brawl. Let them get what they came looking for, and when the law isn't too busy doing more important things, then let the law sort it out.

You seem to be entirely against violence, whereas I see violence as just one of the many effective tools at our disposal.

Besides, what is the difference between a police force using violence and any other small contingency from the community using violence?

Because violence is what the westboro clowns want, because they can and will file lawsuits when the police did not get there in time to protect them. Its the basis of their financial operation

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

WBC is just punking everyone. Ignore them!

WBC would love nothing more that for you to physically attack them provided you are not judgment proof. If you do so, they will sue you and everybody around you for everything you got!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I don't know if this link will work, but here is a link to google photos for "veteran bikers."

Link

I don't think I have ever seen a motorcycle vest without a patch signifying the "lost but not forgotten" of vietnam, or some sort of flag, or a veteran patch on it somewhere, or several references to "live free or die." I would guess that about 75% of the bikers I know have served in the military, and 100% of the bikers I know support the veterans.

I hope the link works.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

reply to post by firepilot

LOL! Remember one of those last Rocky movies, where he knocks out the promoter and says, "Sue me for what?"

I am not judgement proof, but some of those grieving families in Joplin are! No home, no family, no neighbors, just a giant hole in their heart, and then these idiots show up and start picking at that hole. They had nothing more to lose, and a whole lot of hostility and rage to misplace!

Yes, Westboro think they want violent reaction, but do they really? What do they have to gain if some grieving father and husband takes out about 60% of their protestors before he is stopped, and he has nothing to sue for? Then the law finds him mentally incompetent and they put him in counseling for a year or two and then set him free? Who would you call the winner of that confrontation?

It will boil down to something like that eventually. There are plenty of people with nothing left to lose and plenty of hostility looking for a scapegoat. It might as well be WBC.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
how were the bikers and others helping the people of joplin they just went through a life threatening episode instead of beating the idiots why wer they no in the community helping those who needed it and stead of playing stormtroopers we saw were this behavior led a nation in germany right now okay they marem the targets tomerrow these other guys are then they come and knock on your door and take you away but there wont be anyone to notice cause they are all gone it happened once3 for gods sake dont let it happen again those church people got what they wanted they pulled all of the energy away from the people who needed it and now they will sue for not being protected protect and aide those who need it and ignore the others for gods sake a little sanity

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

reply to post by firepilot

LOL! Remember one of those last Rocky movies, where he knocks out the promoter and says, "Sue me for what?"

I am not judgement proof, but some of those grieving families in Joplin are! No home, no family, no neighbors, just a giant hole in their heart, and then these idiots show up and start picking at that hole. They had nothing more to lose, and a whole lot of hostility and rage to misplace!

Yes, Westboro think they want violent reaction, but do they really? What do they have to gain if some grieving father and husband takes out about 60% of their protestors before he is stopped, and he has nothing to sue for? Then the law finds him mentally incompetent and they put him in counseling for a year or two and then set him free? Who would you call the winner of that confrontation?

It will boil down to something like that eventually. There are plenty of people with nothing left to lose and plenty of hostility looking for a scapegoat. It might as well be WBC.

Westboro does not sue individuals, they sue public entities. Its the basis of their whole existence. Westboro will say anything in order to provoke violence. All Westboro is doing, is just deciding what is the most disgusting thing they can say to piss people off, and they say it, hoping to get attacked.

Then they sue the city government for not providing protection, for the police not getting their fast enough, etc. Thats the financial basis for their entire existence, and its been working for years. The best way to deny these clowns any funding, is to make sure that nothing physical happens against them.

Sure, make as much noise as possible, even park behind them and block their cars. just dont let them get hit personally

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 1322hawk

That is the topic of a whole other thread!

This thread will explain the situation from beginning to end.

The authorities were not allowing any other helpers into the damage zone. They were utilizing about 800 volunteers and keeping a waiting list of almost 5000 out of the area!

My brother was one of the very first on scene at the Home Depot, and he worked through that first night without any supervision from authorites, and then when he came back on Monday afternoon, he was turned away. He was turned away over and over until Thursday!! Each day, he would find a way to circumvent the authorities (with ATS's help!!) and he went to help families searching for their loved ones.

Finally on Thursday, he got a hold of the head person running the operation and they made a couple of small changes, and then Gov. Jay Nixon took over the helm, and they started making more progress, but then Obama and WBC started figuring into the equation on Friday with the arrival of Secret Service and press.

So, the answer to your question is the only thing bikers could do, was to limit the access of Westboro. They couldn't do anything in the damage zone thanks to piss-poor chain of command and poor utilization of resources.
edit on 31-5-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

The guy that throws the punch might be judgment proof, but the guy that throws the punch is not the only one that is going to be sued.

As another poster pointed out, WBC makes a living off of suing government entities. If some counter-protesters got violent, WBC could sue numerous individuals and government entities, not just the guy that threw the punch.

They can sue the local government for not protecting their civil rights. They can sue peaceful counterprotesters for aiding the violent protesters. They can sue local businesses and other individuals in the area of the violent attack for not providing enough security. Even if any of these individuals did no wrong, they would have to spend thousands of dollars in attorney fees to clear their name. Many in this situation may opt to pay the Phelps a few thousand dollars just to go away.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

That is one of those places where the legal system is flawed. A jury should be able to find in favor of the municipality and local businesses, but legal defense funds are often more expensive than a settlement, so people get paid, even when they don't have a case.

However, they are free to counter-sue for expenses, damages, and libel!

People need to get aggressive in their defense against parasites like WBC. Spend the money to defend themselves and counter-sue WBC out of existence!

I would still prefer the more direct way of putting them out of existence, but for those fans of the legal system, USE IT! Why not organize defense funds and teams of lawyers to protect these businesses and small towns and turn the tables back on the bullies?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint

Many in this situation may opt to pay the Phelps a few thousand dollars just to go away.

That is EXACTLY what happens.

Many do not realize that Westboro is less a church, and more of a family business. Most everyone there is part of the Phelps family, and they send family members to law school, with the proceeds from their lawsuit threats.

It really is a kind of legal extortion business they have. The best way to end what they do, is to make sure no one lays a hand on them. There are plenty of non violent ways to deal with them, that do not give them any legal ammo to even file lawsuits.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Good the people in Joplin have nothing, absolutely nothing and it's pathetic that a group like Westboror would show up, isn't there something in the bible that states Help your fellow man? I remember hearing stories of the Hells Angels back in the day doing this at some of the vet funerals' against anti-war activists probably not as nice though.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

The biggest problem with the American legal system is that all the parties to a law suit generally pay their own legal fees. In virtually all other countries, if a person or entity loses a lawsuit, the person or entity has to pay the other side's legal fees as well as their own. In the US, if a person loses a lawsuit, they only have to pay their own lawyer.

This of course encourages lawsuits with no merrit. If people must pay their lawyers thousands of dollars to successfully defend a meritless lawsuit, it is cheaper just to pay the other pereson a few thousand just to go away. This kind of thing happens all the time in the US.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by nightbringr
While i despise the WBC and their tactics, overall the Hells Angels do more to hurt society.

Oh... so it was the Hells Angels, was it? You sure?

There's one heck of a lot more people riding Harleys than Angels and Mongols. I rode one for years and never touched 1%rs. Anyways, I didn't see any telling patches in the crowd. Not saying there couldn't have been, but...

There will come a time when the tactics used by Westborough will draw real heat. You can only push grieving people so far before they react. All I can say is that the American public should be praised for showing such steady restraint.

Well one of the first posters mentioned they were Hells Angels, perhaps i was mistaken.

Do you approve of outlaw bikers gangs? I dont understand your hostility to my post.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

This article doesn't state they were Hell's Angels just a lot of bikers that streamed in through out Missouri and Truckers who also blocked their path. But I will keep digging to try to confirm. kansasmediocrity.wordpress.com...

Found out who they are they are called the Patriot Guard Riders lead by Charlie Brown here's their facebook www.facebook.com...
edit on 5/31/1111 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
Well if they are veterans i take back what i said but somehow in the video i am not seeing how they are veterans

Please educate me. How can you tell a veteran from one that never served? Are they all supposed to loook like Rambo or something?

I'd sure like to know.

Well for one instance i do know that alot of war veterans cant be bikers,and aren't bikers that is a fact, as for the bikers in the video the thread OP has posted, they remind me of rednecks bikers

Heres an example

Because i know this is a fact, that alot of the soldiers coming home from these wars in the middle east are becoming homeless, so how can the bikers in the video be veterans? if they were veterans they would be on the streets protesting them peacefully, not been on bikes.

@Golithion thanks for the update, its now a fact they weren't veterans, only pro war mongers do that sort of thing.
edit on 31-5-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Only one FACT I'm sure of from your above post. You my friend dont know a damn thing about bikers. There are hundreds of bikers that are veterans and there are hundreds of veterans that are in the Patriot Guard Riders, along with people from all walks of life. And I know this because I have been a biker and been around these people for the last 50 years. Your facts are not facts at all. Why dont you talk about something you know something about, which apparently has nothing to do with bikers..
:
edit on 5/31/11 by kennylee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

That is true most biker gangs in the 50s were started by vets from WW2 including the preceding of the hells angels.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Patriot Guard Riders are pro-war mongers?

I am a Patriot Guard Rider. At least one other Mod is also a Patriot Guard Rider. This group is supportive of veteran's and their families. We only show up when invited, and we only show up to peacefully protect families from the hateful protesters. We do so peacefully with flags, bikes, and bodies.

I happen to know some 1%er bikers. There is at least one here on ATS, and there was one at my barbeque on Saturday! Even the Hell's Angels and Bandidos and other outlaws have a code of conduct and respect and civility. I would take any biker gang over WBC on any day!

But, to put something like the Patriot Guard in the same group as Hell's Angels or any other group of violent protesters or "mongers" is ridiculous, inaccurate, and borderline trolling!

Go do a little research about biker groups and then come back here and comment with a little sense please.

Start here:
PatriotGuard.org

and here:
Wiki Link on Outlaw Motorcycle Clubs

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golithion
reply to post by kennylee

That is true most biker gangs in the 50s were started by vets from WW2 including the preceding of the hells angels.

And most biker groups today are not Gangs at all. You have a handful of outlaw biker clubs, but the majority of clubs are not outlaw clubs. Todays biker raises millions of dollars a year for such causes as Cancer Research, Babies with birth defects, Toys for Tots, and the list goes on and on. I can see by your comment that you seem to know a whole lot of nothing about todays biker also...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join