It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biker activists shut down Westboro Baptists in Joplin, Missouri

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
those of you saying the WBC are within their rights to do this:

would you tolerate anyone saying anything to you on the street. if someone walked up unprovoked and started insulting your mother (who died the day before), and making a scene, how many of you would ignore it? or would you do the illegal (and completely justified) thing and punch them in the face?

all of your tones would change if they were protesting the funeral of someone you loved.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcanem
reply to post by budski

Ones rights ends when it enfringes on anothers rights. This is a fine line. But these Westboro nutcases are going out of their way to interfere with everyone else's life.
Case in point - A family has the right to bury their dead in peace, and here these a-holes show up and compound the grief of the family by protesting because their dead is a war vet. They have been begging to get their noses mashed with this kind of behavior. This rally was to honor the dead that gave them the right to protest which they promptly tried to disrupt with their own brand of ignorance, basically trying to infringe on everyone elses rights to rally. I am glad to see the people rise up and say “not this time.”

And its not like Fred Phelps and his family (they really are less a church, and more of just a family legal cult) protest, not because they have some idea or concept they are trying to express, what they are trying to do is to be as distasteful as possible, and hope they get physically attacked.

And when they happens, they file lawsuits against the city and police departments for not protecting them. They hope for a settlement, and they use that money to live off of, for more protests, and to send more of their family members to law school.

Why do they send their members to law school? So that they can be attorneys and file more lawsuits. This whole thing about them is about money.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by budski
reply to post by masqua

What I see is one group bullying another, after the first group had gone to the trouble of abiding by the law regarding a "peacefull" protest, whereas the 2nd group decided to throw their weight around and intimidate, with threats of violence.

To a group that hides behind and makes money off of the misrepresentation of the Constitution. Looks like the "bullys" just got bullied back. I have no problem with that.

If that's "democracy" in action, then I want no part of it - oh wait, that IS the US version of "democracy"

I'm not American. I'm Canadian and if you want to go "there" I'll be more than willing. Europe's version of democracy hasn't been exemplary in the last few years either. And that's being generous.

Misrepresentation?
No, free speech is free speech.

I know where you're from Intrepid, and I'll gladly go "there" if you like - I'm from the UK, one of the US's partners in crime.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Thank god for those bikers and the patriot guard. They never fail to bring a tear to my eye, as a Vet.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Note that the westboro "protest" was legal, zoned, and approved - they acted within the law.

Did the bikers?
No.

Sorry. Our bureaucracy hasn't gotten to this point yet.

I've actually read the Constitution and I don't see where it says that the proper paperwork has to be submitted.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by firepilot

Whatever the rights or wrongs (and I personally think it's wrong) of this group, they DO have the right to free speech.

As the law stands, they also have the right to sue.

As much as I disagree with them, they act within the law - the people who assault them don't.

So for me, it's an issue of the law being wrong or right - the problem is, as soon as you start to take away rights from one group, it's a very short step to expanding to other groups.

We all know that this "church" is radical heaven, but as far as I am concerned, they are also a symbol of democracy and free speech, even though I detest them.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

No, free speech is free speech.

I thank you for recognizing the biker's right to free speech and the right of assembly.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
"Tracy Ulmen" Go Ome Go Ome LOL
Good for you guys, thats all I have to say here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Perhaps you should also read the amendments, and consider that many laws have been passed since.

I really fail to see how a document over 220 years old has any relevance except as a baseline, especially considering the amount of lawyers the US "produces" every year.

If you're talking about the "purity" of the document, then you might be right, but that's not what we are talking about.

We are talking about the reality of the law as it exists right now.

And PLEASE stop taking a tiny part of a post, and using it out of context - you're better than that, as well you know.

edit on 31/5/2011 by budski because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
They have the full right to say anything they claim to believe and by the words of the first amendment I will defend it , though it is repugnant and vile to my heart. BUUUUUT and a bigun' is you can not yell fire in a theater for a reason and it will get you silenced by law if you do.
Question is are they doing the equivalent? Big question that treads on thin ice for free speech.
seed.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Wow, I can't believe what I'm reading here. People on ATS normally stand up for freedom and the rights of all, but instead here are people condoning the criminal behavior of the bikers because they don't agree with the message the protesters are pushing (for the record, I do not in any way support these protestors, only their right to protest if conducted within the law). Read the OP again, these people were protesting in an area designated specifically for their protest. Typically that means they are well off the beaten path. If the location was such that it interfered with the rally in any way, well then your beef is with the local government, not the protestors; because the local government determines the location and marks it off. Now if these people left their designated area and were interfering with the event, then sure they should be run off. But they were operating completely within the law. We REALLY do not want to go down the road of letting mob mentality decide what's right and what's wrong and what the appropriate action is if they decide something is wrong.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

...but that's not what we are talking about.

That's exactly what we are talking about. Read the board. MSM. We're not in Fairyland, we're in the real world here. Everything boils down to math. And Newton's 3rd Law seems quite apt here. Not to mention the Constitution.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

...but that's not what we are talking about.

That's exactly what we are talking about. Read the board. MSM. We're not in Fairyland, we're in the real world here. Everything boils down to math. And Newton's 3rd Law seems quite apt here. Not to mention the Constitution.

Again, I disagree - one party abided by the law, the other group didn't.

Unless you want anarchy, you can't have it both ways.

BTW, I think newtons first law of motion is more apt.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

reply to post by firepilot

Whatever the rights or wrongs (and I personally think it's wrong) of this group, they DO have the right to free speech.

As the law stands, they also have the right to sue.

As much as I disagree with them, they act within the law - the people who assault them don't.

So for me, it's an issue of the law being wrong or right - the problem is, as soon as you start to take away rights from one group, it's a very short step to expanding to other groups.

We all know that this "church" is radical heaven, but as far as I am concerned, they are also a symbol of democracy and free speech, even though I detest them.

I agree with you, what these clowns want is to be assaulted, its how they make money.

But I disagree about them being democracy. I am not saying i want them outlaws, but they are partcipating in free speech, they are taking advantage of free speech. Its not like they have some idea that needs to be heard, they are hoping to cause mental hurt to people, and hoping to provoke a physical attack.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

hitler made his genocide legal. does that mean you would support it?

legal=right doesn't it?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Good commentary and existing threads here: Westboro didn't fare too well in Joplin, and here: Rumors fly of Westboro being gassed, blocked, and chased.

Even so, I will take another opportunity to say . . ."Helluva job Joplin!!"

I was hoping for a great response, and it seems it was even better than I had hoped!

I heard first hand accounts from my friends there that the bikes roared like thunder everytime someone would try to speak up. They drowned out the PA system! The truckers trapped most of Westboro outside the city limits with their trucks, and the few idiots that did make it through in their own cars were thoroughly beaten until rescued by the police! There was one report of a hospitalization, but I never found any confirmation of it. The tear gas was actually used to disperse the bikers, but they didn't mind that much.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Good commentary and existing threads here: Westboro didn't fare too well in Joplin, and here: Rumors fly of Westboro being gassed, blocked, and chased.

I was hoping for a great response, and it seems it was even better than I had hoped!

I heard first hand accounts from my friends there that the bikes roared like thunder everytime someone would try to speak up. They drowned out the PA system! The truckers trapped most of Westboro outside the city limits with their trucks, and the few idiots that did make it through in their own cars were thoroughly beaten until rescued by the police! There was one report of a hospitalization, but I never found any confirmation of it. The tear gas was actually used to disperse the bikers, but they didn't mind that much.

So you advocate violence, intimidation and terror tactics against those you disagree with?

Nice

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

While it sounds good, if these people were beaten inside the city, they will start filing their lawsuits soon. Thats exactly what they wanted

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

While it sounds good, if these people were beaten inside the city, they will start filing their lawsuits soon. Thats exactly what they wanted

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

No, I advocate all of those things against those that beg for it, and act provocatively, and travel 100s or 1000s of miles intent on coming into my own neighborhood just to cause trouble.

The law says it is legal to stand on the street with binoculars or a telephoto lens and spy on someone in their own home, but try it on my street, and you better hope you can see out of your anus, because that's where the camera will be!

They are free to practice their hate speech in their own church, or their own town, or their own home, and they can raise their children that way, they can even spend money on billboards or TV ads, but if they bring that junk to my face, then they will learn all about "natural consequences."

Maybe I am just a hairless chimp, I'm ok with that, because most people know that you don't go taunt a chimpanzee unless you are looking for an injury! You can taunt him all you want in your own town, but don't go to the jungle and do it!

edit on 31-5-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join