It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biker activists shut down Westboro Baptists in Joplin, Missouri

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Biker activists shut down Westboro Baptists in Joplin, Missouri

www.rawstory.com

A protest by the infamous Westboro Baptist Church was not carried out in Joplin, Missouri on Saturday as planned after a large contingent of bikers showed up and flushed them out of a zone marked off for their demonstration.

The hate group, known for protesting soldiers returning from war, had planned their event to coincide with President Obama’s appearance at Missouri Southern State University, to memorialize the 143 confirmed to have been killed during recent storms.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

At least people were able to come together for a common cause and shut these people down. The problem is, they still ended up getting what they wanted in the first place: attention. For them to go away the media needs to ignore them. The problem is, it's such a sensationalist topic to cover that it guarantee's them headlines...

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 31-5-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Unfortunately it's already been covered...

I'll find the link and post it up!! Great effort though and found it cool how the town fought together.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
When we are able to rally up together, some real things can get done.

Good post S&F.

Who the hell would think the Hells Angels would protest for heavens sake.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
The People have spoken.

"Of the People, by the People and for the People."
- Lincoln

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Next they'll be protesting the funeral of the poor girl who was swept out to sea by a riptide in New Hampshire. Poor kid.

ETA: Bunch of nuts.
edit on 5/31/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: pecans, cashews and filberts

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
You know, Bikers are the same as any other person. Just goes to show even the biggest and hardest looking lads have feelings and will defend what they believe in.
I'm a biker, I know alot of other bikers and i think we all love and respect our troops here in the uk!

+1 more 
posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
It appears that free speech is only allowed if you agree with the message.

I have no time for these nutters, but by the same score, they are as entitled to free speech as anyone else.

Celebrating the actions of thugs who take away the free speech of others, is not to be admired in my opinion.

In fact it is more in line with nazi germany or stalinist Russia than the alleged "land of the free"

As another poster stated, it's better to ignore the westboro baptist church (and ALL organised religions) and eventually, they will go away.

All this does is grant them martyr staus, of sorts, and guarantee sympathy for them.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I think this is horrible. What about there right to free speech?
Remember that saying "I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say"
Exactly how i feel with this

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
Remember that saying "I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say"

So what exactly is the Fred Phelps cult trying to say?

+2 more 
posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
It appears that free speech is only allowed if you agree with the message.

What I see here was two groups trying to use freedom of expression. One small and unwanted, the other large and respected (for the most part just cuz I once owned a Harley too).

Democracy in action.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I just wish they wouldn't have started throwing bottles. I guess you can't tell for sure if they were glass but plastic doesn't usually fly that well. It looks like they either came close to hitting one of the bikers or the cops. I hate they idiots as much as the next person but as they say "any attention is good attention" As much as these people piss me off, it's more detrimental to their cause if NO ONE pays attention to them or even posts them on the internet or TV. Of course, if they were protesting the death of my friend or family, I'd probably lose it and attack them. I have a hard time practicing what I preach sometimes.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Not every place is appropriate to assert the right of free speech. With the right of free speech comes the duty to use it responsibily.

One big thumbs up for the bikers.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

What about the biker's free speech? Their right to freedom of assembly? It's easy to "defend" the Constitution if you don't know what it stands for.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

What I see is one group bullying another, after the first group had gone to the trouble of abiding by the law regarding a "peacefull" protest, whereas the 2nd group decided to throw their weight around and intimidate, with threats of violence.

If that's "democracy" in action, then I want no part of it - oh wait, that IS the US version of "democracy"

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

What about the biker's free speech? Their right to freedom of assembly? It's easy to "defend" the Constitution if you don't know what it stands for.

Note that the westboro "protest" was legal, zoned, and approved - they acted within the law.

Did the bikers?
No.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
IMO the reason jury's exist is to deal with shades of grey. american citizens who can say "no, this isn't technically illegal, but it is WRONG". enter the biker gang. sure, they are entitled to free speech, but this is hate speech.

if you lost a child or a spouse or family member, the last thing you would put up with is someone cheering their death on. have a heart, people deserve to mourn their losses in peace.

one blanket law won't serve justice in every situation. there is a difference between what is legal, and what is right.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
people dont you realize free speech means free speech no matter what if we allow people to decide what can be said where and when then what you will get welcome to the new brown shirts same as the old ones they werem just controling oppoising views and ideology when you agree with thugs you have also become a thug we have this place to talk cause the main stream does listen what if thethugs decide we are not supportive of the views they espouse then what
:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
reply to post by masqua

What I see is one group bullying another, after the first group had gone to the trouble of abiding by the law regarding a "peacefull" protest, whereas the 2nd group decided to throw their weight around and intimidate, with threats of violence.

To a group that hides behind and makes money off of the misrepresentation of the Constitution. Looks like the "bullys" just got bullied back. I have no problem with that.

If that's "democracy" in action, then I want no part of it - oh wait, that IS the US version of "democracy"

I'm not American. I'm Canadian and if you want to go "there" I'll be more than willing. Europe's version of democracy hasn't been exemplary in the last few years either. And that's being generous.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Ones rights ends when it enfringes on anothers rights. This is a fine line. But these Westboro nutcases are going out of their way to interfere with everyone else's life.
Case in point - A family has the right to bury their dead in peace, and here these a-holes show up and compound the grief of the family by protesting because their dead is a war vet. They have been begging to get their noses mashed with this kind of behavior. This rally was to honor the dead that gave them the right to protest which they promptly tried to disrupt with their own brand of ignorance, basically trying to infringe on everyone elses rights to rally. I am glad to see the people rise up and say “not this time.”

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join