It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Smallest guided missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I have heard different theories about this. Some people say it is the US Stinger Missile, other People have told me it was the Redeye (SAM). I've even heard roumors that other counties now have even smaller ones. Dose anyone know for sure, which guided Missile is the Smallest?

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I believe that the Russian Aphid AA missile is much smaller than the Sidewinder and Redeye.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I don't know for sure but who knows what kind of secret missles are in development.

E_T

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
I believe that the Russian Aphid AA missile is much smaller than the Sidewinder and Redeye.

MANPAD is certainly smaller than any AAM... and talk was about Stinger, not Sidewinder.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Stinger-1.52 m long and 7 cm in diameter with 1 cm fins. It weighs 10.1 kg.

Thats pretty small I think its the smallest I havent been able to find that much info on Russain shoulder launched guided missiles

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Russian Igla: Shoulder launched SAM Length: 1.7 m Diameter: 7.2 cm Launch Weight: 11 kg

British Starstreak:Length: 1.39 m Diameter: 27 cm

Starstreak is visually guided to the target by an operator. The aiming unit illuminates the target with a radar beam, and sensors in the missile detect this beam and manoeuvre towards it.

As far as I know, Starstreak has not seen combat use.

If it was used in combat, it may have a number of advantages over some other missiles. Because it uses passive sensors (infra-red and human visual), it cannot be suppressed with anti-radar missiles. Its fast speed makes it more likely to be able to intercept an aircraft, and the use of 3 submunitions makes it is more likely that a munition will hit the target. Because it uses human visual tracking, anti-IR flares would be useless against it, though having said that anti-IR flares are less useful against modern imaging IR missiles.

I think the british Starstreak is in the lead

www.fact-index.com...

E_T

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Starstreak is visually guided to the target by an operator. The aiming unit illuminates the target with a radar beam...

If it was used in combat, it may have a number of advantages over some other missiles. Because it uses passive sensors (infra-red and human visual), it cannot be suppressed with anti-radar missiles.

Well, missile itself wont alert RWR, but launcher surely invites ARMs.

And it's not "autonomous" fire&forget missile.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I didnt know we were talking about a fire & forget weapon I just thought we were talking about something that was not like a RPG or LAW.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
What ever happened to the U.S. copperhead missile? I think designed to be fired through a 105mm tank gun? Never adopted,like the doomed Shilleleigh 152 gun/missile system. keep trying!

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
~SA-18~ (IGLA/Needle) guided? From what I've read it's a heat seeking missle, I guess it can be fire and forget, though...
There's also the Javelin and Predator systems, that are guided

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ghost

In the Spring, 1969, at Ft. Bliss, TX and again in the Summer, 1970, at Ft. Riley, KS I had the privilege of actually firing a Redeye missle. The first instance was while at the Redeye training school after completing 8 weeks of basic training and 9 weeks of infantry AIT. The second instance was during a fire power demonstration by the First Infantry Division (of whiich I was a member). At that time, the First was our NATO commitment and we had two brigades at Ft. Riley and one brigade in Ausburg, Germany.

In or about November, 1970, the two brigades at Ft. Riley were going to Germany to participate in Operation Reforger, a war game training exercise. The combat units within the division each contained an ADA (air defense artillary) section consisting of Redeye teams. For example, my armor batallion contained an ADA section which consisted of 11 people. There were four 2-man Redeye teams (8 people), and a ADA Hq section which consisted of an NCO in charge, an office in charge and a jeep driver (3 people). Virtually all of the ADA sections were skeletal and were in dire need of properly trained personnel. The Dept. of the Army was unable to provide the division with school-trained, Redeye personnel, so the entire division was short-staffed in virtually all of their ADA sections. While it was relatively simple to train someone how to fire a Redeye, the ability to train people to recognize US, English, French and Soviet combat aircraft flying in a combat mission was much more difficult. Teaching them the properly military protocol so that the person was a safe and effective Redeye "gunner" was equally difficult.

At the behest of our batallion commander, I began working on a training program so that we could train our own Redeye people for our unit. That became a much more difficult task when we discovered that we had to implement a screening program in selecting the people who would be assigned to the Redeye unit (it turned out that it took intelligence way beyond what was then the average level of military intelligence to be able to successfully complete the training program.) When the Division HQ learned what we were doing, I was put in charge of developing and imprementing a division-wide program. This program first had to develop an assessment mechanism to get the most qualified people, then I had to develop lesson plans, arrange training staff, obtain locations and times for the training, develop schedules for all of this and, finally a testing program to determine whether or not the trainees passed the training

As you can see, I had a lot of experiece with the Redeye missle. And, although I have never actually seen a Stinger (the successor to the Redeye) I have seen them on film being used and they appear to be very, very close to the same size as the Redeye. "Back in the day," to the best of my knowledge, the Redeye was the smallest anti-aircraft guided missle that existed. Even today, I do not believe the current genre of missles that trace their origins to the General Dynamics' Redeye of the 1960's is significantly different in size.

Watching the Redeye firing at Ft. Bliss was interesting. Before the Redeye demo, they would show other air defense weapons, quad-50 caliber machine guns, Dusters that fired two 40 mm cannons and Vulcans, 20 mm Gattling guns that fired 6,000 rounds per minute. There were 2 - 3 of each of these units on the firing line as a propellor-driven, Arcat drone flew slowly back & forth. They never hit the drone (or at least knocked it out of the sky). Then they replaced the Arcat with a jet drone called a Firebee. It towed an aerodynamic canister of propane that had a large burner on it about 80 yds behind it on a cable. This was a jet so it was much faster. The Redeye shot at the tow-bee. I never saw one miss except one round that was a dud.

Kent

Edited-out private address.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I was Section Chief of the first REDEYE MISSILE unit in Hanau, Germany 1968-'69. We trained at Ft. Bliss, TX. MOS was 13BQ40 (the "Q" was for Redeye) the 13B40 was for Artillery. Provided air defense for V-Corps, 2/75th. FA, SP8" Howitzer unit... Steve Aprinter@yahoo.com ..

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
There are missiles MUCH smaller than the Stinger etc, ...

The OTO-Melara STRALES guided round (no rocket in it, it's fired from a gun) is small enough to fit inside a 76mm naval shell.
video: www.youtube.com...

If we insist that a "missile" needs to have its own propulsion, then the Russian 9K112 Kobra (AT-8 Songster) is fired from the main gun of a tank (125mm), successor is AT-11. Israel produces a version of it's LAHAT fired from a 120mm or 105mm gun. These missiles are in terms of dimensions smaller than a Stinger, although they are fatter.

Meanwhile the US is developing an experimental 50mm guided round www.army-guide.com...

new topics

top topics

join