It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those bugging in...do you know your neighbors?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
reply to post by canselmi

how are you going to resupply once you run out of your hordded goods? you cant pack away a life time of can goods

I guess now would be the time for everyone to quit their jobs and band together with their savings and build a commune out in Oregon, eh???
edit on 31-5-2011 by hederahelix because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by hederahelix

You know, with property values down, and the economy in shambles, if you really did know some people so inclined, and YOU were so inclined, now would not be a bad time to make that kind of change. Sure, you would have to live a much simpler life, without a lot of the technological goodies, but maybe that wouldnt be such a bad idea really.

The people already living off the grid, communes, survivalists, homeless people, rural people, will probably fare better than those who are "weekend warriors" so to speak who are well informed but who havent lived that way day in and day out for a long time.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Personally I'm ready to pick up and leave within 5 minutes. This is more in preparation of home to home sweeps than looting but either way the majority of items in an average American home will be useless and having a single place to reside leaves you a sitting duck. I've discussed the idea with a few people who have a similar mindset and would be useful to join me and the rest of my troupe (people trained in survival and gunsmithing mostly, an ex-law enforcement officer or two as well as their families). It's been fairly agreed that in any scenario, the best place to be is away from any people that we don't know well/trust.
As a backup I also maintain a stock of tripwire and punji sticks for home defense if the stay needs to be extended for any reason. It all sounds very paranoid when typed out but I reside in a sensitive part of MD that regardless of pure civil unrest or martial law, the amount of armed presence in the area will be very heightened and very pissed off (we have nsa listening stations and the main campus nearby, a russian embassy, diplomats, about 4 or 5 different "law enforcement" agencies, etc and while less important, have many "elite" who own mansions in the are like cheney, harrison ford, etc...) And I've had a few recent run ins with various federal agencies (not regarding me) that I didn't quite appreciate.

A long run on sentence but I guess to sum it all up, I'd be out of here quick, a neighbor or two is welcome, but overall a smaller group is easier to maneuver with, hide, and feed. I've made similar plans for other family in different areas but from there the choice is up to them.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I'm only close with a couple of my neighbors. The rest either I don't know, or I don't associate with. I think the optimal group would be your close friends and family. Ideally in a separate shelter, preferably out of heavily populated areas, stockpiled well enough to sustain the group until we could self-sustain. Bug out bag would be a must for me.

In fact I never thought about survival until I started reading here. I always thought about the end, and thought about survival but not really planning for it. Going to work on that though.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Good thread. We are staying put. We live in a small rural village close to the French Pyrenees. We have a river at the bottom of the street, a forest within 2 miles (full of wildlife, boar/dear/rabbit and birds). We have a well in the garden and plenty of land to grow veg. All approaches to the village are defendable and all houses have thick wooden shutters. Our house is virtually off the grid anyway, all heating and cooking can be acheived by wood via the range. The neighbours have formed a close knit society and, being all farmers, they are all armed.

Although I have no fire arms I possess crossbows and recurve, hunting catapults and goodness knows how many other nasties.

I see no reason, other than being overrun, to bug out.
edit on 1/6/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Same as ever

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Same here, staying put.

I live in a small town way north deep in the bush. Everyone knows everyone, we mow each other's lawns, shovel each other's sidewalks, and watch each other's homes when someone goes on holiday. Hunting, fishing, camping, quadding, snowmobiling, backyard bonfires, is a way of life up here. So having our homes well stocked and equipped (for snow storms, etc) is a given since the nearest metropolis is over 2 hours away.

If we had to bug out for whatever reason, we have an easy escape route just a couple of km's to the north into off-road country. We could literally disappear into the wild bush in less than half an hour.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by canselmi

I can't stand my neighbors, so i will leave them to figure everything out by themselves.. if i thought they were selfish pigs now, just wait until SHTF

top topics

<< 1   >>

join