It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those bugging in...do you know your neighbors?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
With the exception of a situation that would force me to leave my home (nuclear attack, certain natural disasters, etc.), my plan is to stay put. And there are several obvious reasons for this. I'm not limited to bringing only the supplies that'll fit in my truck, my 3 bedroom brick home is a better shelter than my 2 person tent. The list goes on and on. But an article (and comments) at www.thesurvivalistblog.net... got me wondering. For those of you who are staying put, do you already know your neighbors? Or are you making an effort to get to know them?

I grew up in a small town and not only did we know all the neighbors, but most of us were related. Now that I live in the suburbs, I recognize most of them and a few I know by name. So should I be more involved? What are the pros and cons to knowing your neighbors?

Obviously for long term survival, you'd want to know people in your area in order to band together to make life easier for everyone. On the other hand, you may not want anyone to know that you have a stock pile of food and water (for risk of becoming a target and/or having to turn people away who come for help).

What's your take on this?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by canselmi

I must say, you must be reading my mind.
Yes I do no all my neighbors. one can go to he## ,but the rest I can count on.
Like you I grew up in an area where we new everyone and everyone new us and yes I feel it is my God given wright to help anyone I choose. If I was to die at least I can stand before God and tell him I did everything I could the way he wanted as far as the one neighbor well no matter what I couldnt because he has broken into my house and got away with. So sorry he is one that I will not help.

good story thanks

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Depends on who your neighbor is, when I moved into my new home I found out that there was a sex offender living across the street from me from one of those sites that tracks sex offenders and shows where they live. You would be pretty suprised to see how many there are and how close they live to you once you check the site. I'm not so sure it's a great idea to be buddy buddy with chester the molester.

BTW - Sorry, to answer your question - I'm staying home, I have a huge storage of water and canned food not cause I'm worried but I was an Eagle scout and I like to always "be prepared." And I have enough ammo to put some space between Chesters ears if he decides to come a knockin.

edit on 31-5-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I'm staying put... as I have nowhere else to go... or the means to get there even if I did. Besides... I have critters that depend on me that won't fit into any currently available BOBs. And yes I know all my neighbors... a couple of whom I hope slither back into their natural habitats... the swamps... if and when S finally does HTF.
edit on 31-5-2011 by hederahelix because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

not all are molesters

not all are rapists

group labeling even in this case is bad news

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by canselmi

I grew up in a small town and not only did we know all the neighbors, but most of us were related. Now that I live in the suburbs, I recognize most of them and a few I know by name. So should I be more involved? What are the pros and cons to knowing your neighbors?

I always know my neighbors, and I think its a great idea. Unless everyone around you is a crack dealer or has a target on their back for some reason. Then maybe its better to keep to yourself.

But assuming its just normal people around you, then absolutely get to know them. I dont even go knocking on doors, I just like sitting outside in the evening and I wave and smile. (I come from a small town too, and smiling head nodding and waving are what you do) I have only lived here a little over a year and more of my neighbors know each other now than they did in the years and years they lived here before I moved in.

Often times it only takes one friendly person to get everyone on the block to get to know one another, and once everyone knows one another, you start reaping the benefits. People start watching out for each other more, helping each other with big jobs more often, etc. It just makes for a better place to live, even if the S never HTF.

Most people want to be liked. And a lot of people really dont want to, or know how to, make the first move. But I have found that once someone indicates, (smile, wave) that they are friendly, and they recognize them, they loosen up and come right out of their shell.

Im not even an extrovert either, I test slightly on the introvert side, but friendly (agreeable they call it on tests often) trumps extroversion easily in terms of good relationships with neighbors. Help them out, too. If I see someone struggling with something I always go see what I can do to help, but thats a small town thing too.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Truther9111776

I agree. We have a sex offender on our block too, and while we would all notice if kids started hanging out there, or lots of strange women went in and didnt come back out, Im friendly to him too. We rarely see him out, he does keep to himself, but not all sex offenders are horrible people. Sometimes all they did to get on the registry was date a girl a couple years too young. They arent all violent offenders.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I think it is best to stay in your own home. As long as it is not a cataclysmic event or celestial damage, your home will give you the best shelter and the conveniences you will need.
We all pretty much know what all is needed to get us thru a few weeks, but long term disasters could have great effects on all of us. You would just about need a warehouse to stock up for a year if your family is large.
My son and his fiance have 7 kids between the two of them.

Added to....I barely know my neighbors, but they are all nice. I been here 2 and 1/2 years and everyone keeps to themselves. But I believe most of them would be helpful in case of an emergency.
edit on 31-5-2011 by ellieN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ellieN

Holy crap. Has anyone explained the birds and the bees to them?

With seven kids you dont need to know the neighbors, you are a neighborhood in a house.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truther9111776

not all are molesters

not all are rapists

group labeling even in this case is bad news

You can use family watch dog to see where they live and they guy that lives across from me is guilty of...
288(a) LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS ACTS WITH A CHILD UNDER 14 YEARS OF AGE

whether you call it rape or molesting, a sex crime is a sex crime and those people should get punished way more than they are.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by ellieN

Holy crap. Has anyone explained the birds and the bees to them?

With seven kids you dont need to know the neighbors, you are a neighborhood in a house.

Yeah. I can't count how many times I say that when I am babysitting.. too.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Pretty much in the same situation as you
I'm 21 living in ENGLAND but im unemployed, i have like £300 with no idea what preparation items to get first or whether to just spend it on a really nice holiday and enjoy our final days/hours?

From a PROPER close knit town of about 80,000 , everyone knows everyone, secrets can't stay kept for long (unless its to keep them from the feds, in that case, very rarely do people "liase" with the cops)

But recently moved near the Lake District where the secret societies can't find me should they wanna take me anywhere pre-SHTF

I've had very brief short chats with quite a few people in the new area and while most would think you are a nut, ive got a good judge of character and I can sense peoples vibes , 2 or 3 of the geezers i talked to were familiar with the freemaons, illuminati and new world order but STILL to this day I have never even mentioned "stocking" up on stuff, i just felt the need to "test" how many people were into what I was into

And believe me, MORE than you think. Ive talked to peeps at petrol stations, pubs, on the street.. parties, EVERYWHERE I GO I TALK ABOUT THIS (i speak all the knowledge but never talk about stocking up or ACTING on that knowledge) and even lawyers who know about the whole freeman movement (one admitted that ALL courts had been informed to try and nip the problem in the bud before EVERYONE started trying the freeman argument)

By the way, the freeman arguement worked for me many a time
And although it seems like am the doom and gloomy type, IM NOT

Im wide awake to the matrix, the holographic projection that we call reality
Im wide awake to the fact that our queen is a german and their family was responsible for killing Princess Diana, Tupac Shakur, Proof, Micheal Jackson, Kurt Cobain, Benazzir Bhutto, David R Kelly (Iraq Weapons Inspector)

CHARLIE SHEEN may be the next to die a "strange" death if the TPTB can't shut him up
Why do you think they have tried de-railing his career?

Same with Micheal Jackon.
He might not have even been a peadofile
Obviously making him the laughing stock of the world didnt shut him up
Shortly after the release of his new album, he's killed.

I could go on and on

THE POWER OF THE MEDIA IS MIND BOGGLING

it seems nearly everyone i know is PISSED and STRESSED and they know the governmnment are b@st@ds

That could be cause 90% of the peeople I know are young and unemployed?
The only older people i know, and wealthier, are FAIRLY HAPPY with the state the country/world is in and see no threat

I knew this "economy crisis" and police state cencorship crap was coming back in 2005-2006

DID PEOPLE LISTEN?

NO!

So what do we do now?

LOL

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I live in downtown Seattle in an apartment building that was built in 1917. In 1995 the building was remodeled and retro-fitted for any earthquakes that might happen. In 2001 I went out for coffee, came home and was on the telephone with a friend and the ground started shaking and rumbling, the building started swaying and I stood in the doorway of my bathroom praying and demanding in a very loud voice that the angels of heaven arrive and help my building. This earthquake was a 6.8 quake, about 33 miles deep and lasted for almost a minute.

In my apartment building are 110 tenants and over the years I have gotten to know some of them...when the above event happened we banded together in the lobby and helped each other with hugs, comfort, shared meals, water and blankets. We gave to each other a lot of moral support.

After this happened I started an earthquake preparedness campaign and put up posters all over the building and held a community meeting on the subject.

So yes...I think people should get acquainted with their neighbors...have a neighborhood watch and back each other up not only in the good times; but the bad times as well.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

i'm not sure about all the other states, but in georgia, you get put on the sex offender list if you get caught peeing in public.

ever been drunk at a bar one night, came outside and peed behind the dumpster or in a bush? or peed in a bush sober? whatever the case? ever pissed in public? well then you are a sex offender and should be banished from society.

but i do agree that if this cat is convicted of molesting kids or raping women...maybe in a SHTF scenario...he would be dinner...

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
but the thing i doubt most people really think about...in a real SHTF scenario...if your neighbor doesn't have supplies saved up and you're not gonna share...you really only gotta worry about them for a couple weeks. they'll either walk away in search of food and never come/make it back or they will starve to death once they run out of the twinkies, ice cram and string cheese.

seriously...if The SHTF and the food chain gets taken down (i.e. no food on store shelves) you're really only gonna have to wait it out a couple weeks before thoe who didn't prepare die. and if everyone is still living...well then...the government is supplying food which will keep the people "happy".

so yeah...you either have nothing to worry about or only have to worry for a couple weeks. there won't be any gas so there won't be people from 3 states away coming for your stash. you actually should get to know your neighbors...so you can find out what they're about and whether or not they're getting ready.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
My neighbours would be a hinderance to my survival. Bugging out would be my option

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

how are you going to resupply once you run out of your hordded goods? you cant pack away a life time of can goods

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ICEKOHLD
but the thing i doubt most people really think about...in a real SHTF scenario...if your neighbor doesn't have supplies saved up and you're not gonna share...you really only gotta worry about them for a couple weeks. they'll either walk away in search of food and never come/make it back or they will starve to death once they run out of the twinkies, ice cram and string cheese.

You forgot option three, find a couple more unprepared people to come help kill you and take your stuff.

People would last a lot longer than a couple of week, depending on the time of year. Even bark and grass and stray cats and dogs, squirrels etc., will keep people going for a while. It takes a long time to starve to death if you have water, and eat random stuff.

But anyway, another good reason to take the time to get to know your neighbors, and help them out a little here and there, is you can quickly come to see who reciprocates. People who help back, you want in your little group if the SHTF. People who accept help but hide when other people seem like they could use a hand probably arent worth letting hang around in a SHTF scenario.

Human beings have been hanging out in groups since before we were human beings, and there is a reason for that. Protection from other groups, and other animals, and because many hands and minds are better than one. As romantic as going it alone might sound, I want people with me. But the right people. Dont carry dead weight. And "old" doesnt mean dead weight. I have two 80 something neighbors I would take over teenagers any day of the week. They know everything about plants. They would more than make up for their lack of physical ability just making sure the group didnt poison ourselves foraging.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
We were transfered to Illinois about 6 yrs ago and am here to tell you that you dont have to live somewhere very long to become a tight knit group. There is always the stray introvert or anti-social, but all in all we have become pretty close in our neighborhood.

Most of us in my few block area know each other reasonably well, participate in neighborhood watch together and all of our kids are one big group of friends. The only ones we dont know very well are a few renters in the smaller homes.. and a few of them arent the type youd want to know in any case. Most dont last a year, seem to come and go, and even if invited dont seem interested in neighborhood activities unless you mention free beer. We're only a few blocks from the elementary so no registered sex offenders here.. who knows about those "unregistered". Several of us maintain gardens and trade seeds or cuttings. We pet sit for each other.. and babysit;.. when the need arises. One family maintains a pool all the kid use and we maintain the basketball court and huge playhouse... one family who are avid campers with a nice plot and a tree grove have kid camp outs for the neighborhood kids once or twice a year. A few of the guys and my husband go to the gun club together. Its a pretty good neighborhood in an urban area of a smaller town. Our only wild card is the old guy down the street that insists on wandering around with flashlight in hand in everyones yards at night looking for some criminals he can whoop on occasion. We have block parties throughout the year, neighborhood yard sales ( more like swap our junk for their junk since we all give each other first dibbs! ) , things like that.. we are a small community within a community I suppose. Since I home school and Im here more often, I got tasked with alerting the elderly folks close by in the event of a tornado siren, bad weather, winter storm etc.. 2 of them cant really get in the basement and if they managed to.. I doubt they could get back out... this afforded me the opportunity to get to know them as well by checking on them or dragging them to our house when the weather is particularly bad or the electricity has gone out. Having a stand by genny makes one pretty popular when its well below zero out and the ice has taken down trees and powerlines.. that happened yr before last.

Several dont believe in the whole doomer thing and think BoBs are battery operated. It was surprising that most were closely of the same mind of my husband and I once the ice was broken.. and I assume this is due to the town being a mil town. We've spoken about a few things here and there in groups but mainly one on one. We will have to be bugging in with most scenarios : chronically ill child with a liver transplant on meds which keep her alive. We havent given up to others what we have on hand, nor do we ask them.. its an unspoken agreement of sorts I guess. We just know who is and isnt "prepared" among us. Bad thing is that the majority arent adequately prepared.. or what Id call adequately anyway.. just by the conversations we have. Guess it will depend on the type of disaster or whatever to determine how we will all fare.

Its not real hard to get to know neighbors and in your best interests even if you dont choose to be as social as we are with ours. Nice to know who is close to you and be able to assess them. The elderly lady next door recently had a massive stroke and lives with her son now, Im praying her kids dont rent the place and rather they sell it to a hard core urban survivalist.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
My neighborhood is a very tight place. The families w/ kids carpool together. Most folks cooperate to keep fence repaired and livestock on the proper side of the line.

There's a sex offender in my neighborhood, but he doesn't mingle. Someone pulled a gun on him down at the bowling alley years ago, and now he keeps to himself. But that's another story....

Most of my neighbors cannot bug out until they come over to collect all the tools and items I've borrowed and neglected to return over the years.

Seriously, I have about 3 of them that I am really close to; we all have kids in the same crowd, and 1 knows I am prepping, because he asks me for advice and literature. I think the other two probably are. One of them is such a hick that he could probably improvise better than most could prep in advance (he has subsistence livestock and a large garden now.).

We've talked openly at the monthly poker game about "Jericho" etc. We decided we'd block off our road with useless automobiles and set up a checkpoint.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join