It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nevada Campus Gun Bill Heads to The Assembly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Nevada Campus Gun Bill Heads to The Assembly

Current law requires the institution's president to approve people who are licensed to carry concealed weapons to do so on campus. SB 231 would eliminate the permission requirement. It passed the Senate on a 15-6 vote and now goes to the Assembly. "This would send a message to people who victimize in this area that someone could have a firearm to protect themselves," Sen. John Lee, D-North Las Vegas, said before the floor vote. Lee described current campus protection where students lock themselves in rooms and huddle in a corner if a shooter is loose as inadequate. "We have better systems than that to protect ourselves," he said. "This bill does not allow you as a concealed weapons holder to become part of the police force but it does allow you to protect yourself against an aggressor."

Many Nevada students have been waiting for this for a long time. Our college campuses have become grounds for sexual predators and robbers to do as they wish. Nevada is a state with a VERY high gun ownership rate. Regardless of political affiliation, most Nevadans are very pro gun and we like our gun laws to reflect that. And they do.

Reno is not as bad as Vegas as far as crime is concerned. So I'm not surprised to see this coming from NLV and in general from Clark County(Las Vegas/North Las Vegas/Henderson/Boulder City). Yet Clark County is the only county in the state of Nevada to require permits and registration of handguns. It is an older law grandfathered in after the state preemption law was passed.

The state of Nevada allows open carry without a permit of ANY weapon, and concealed carry of firearms with a CCW. There are no restrictions on what kind of weapon a person can own, and it is also NFA friendly(machine gun collectors). There are no restrictions on magazine capacity, caliber, grips, or anything else that is viewed as simply silly here.

I love my state.
edit on 31-5-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Is arming college students really smart? I'm completely pro-2nd Amendment, but this is a dangerous precedent. I understand the need for firearms in terms of protection, but is this really how we want to go about reducing crime on college campuses?

I go to South Alabama in Mobile and it's not a very good area. That being said, I wouldn't carry a weapon on my person if it was allowed. Too dangerous to be armed in a room full of teenagers that.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I heard it said somewhere (I think it was Issac Asimov in his book "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress") that an armed society is a polite society.
If someone thought that they could get cut to ribbons for being agressive to someone, they would definately think twice. It is an interesting point of view anyhow.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

They're already armed. No one is arming anyone. Guns are already allowed on campus with permission, all this bill does is remove the need for permission.

There's always this paranoia that just because a person is armed that he/she will just go off and start shooting for no reason just because they're a student in college. That doesn't make any sense. It doesn't happen now, why would it happen as a result of the passage of this bill?

The whole point of this bill is to allow students to protect themselves. It isn't enough for the cops to show up late as several students are shot to death by a mad man, or a girl is raped and killed. People need to be able to protect themselves. This bill reflects that very fundamental right.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by rcanem

Agreed, I think this is why folks online are such tools towards each other.
In person nobody would talk to me or a lot of folks the way they do online as there is no fear of getting beat up.
If the campus has armed students a person would avoid the hard target and go for a softer target,
There are several UC schools that are ripe for the picking close by.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Is a college student carrying in the supermarket, down Main St, the movie theater, the Olive Garden, at the playground, anywhere else at all dangerous?

Why would that same student suddenly be dangerous once he/she crosses an arbitrary line?

Either you support campus carry as any other carry or you don't support any carry at all. No other position has any logical or real merit.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
When I was in college for my undergrad degrees, there wasn't any real bar to carrying weapons on campus other than they be cased and unloaded. Our next door neighbors (in the married dorms) had an elaborate reloading setup, to boot.

This isn't a new state of affairs - it's more like a vain attempt to go back to the way it used to be up until the early '90s.

Even in high school some years before that, the only rule was that you check your rifles/shotguns in with the principal, or lock them in the trunk of the car, if you had one. They got edgy about you leaving them in the truck rifle rack due to theft issues.

Of course, we're not talking Detroit or LA.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I didn't say that once a person carries a gun on campus is inherently or automatically more dangerous. I'm just stating my opinion that the need for a gun on campus is unnecessary. From my own personal opinion and experiences.

I lived through the VT massacre so I understand the need for weapons on campus. I am personally just against it. I think that an administrator should at the very least be aware of an armed student. At the same time, I don't find it necessary.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

So wait... You understand the need for students to protect themselves... But you're against that need being met?

Secondly, your last post you said that you don't think it's smart to arm college student BECAUSE they are college students..

You are contradicting yourself.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

So wait... You understand the need for students to protect themselves... But you're against that need being met?

Secondly, your last post you said that you don't think it's smart to arm college student BECAUSE they are college students..

You are contradicting yourself.

I am against it. I'm all for arming yourself, it's your god given right. But, I don't think having guns on campus would solve anything. Most people, when shot at, freeze. If a gunman walks into a room and starts shooting, it's a lose-lose situation, regardless of how many armed individuals there are.

What I meant in my last post is that College kids don't need to be armed. Period.

I probably lost my train of thought somewhere, I do that sometimes.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by isthisreallife
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I'm just stating my opinion that the need for a gun on campus is unnecessary.
I lived through the VT massacre so I understand the need for weapons on campus.

That should get some kind of award right there.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Most college 'kids' are over the age of 21. They are eligible to purchase handguns and carry them. Why are you against eligible adults carrying a weapon in the place they are likely to spend most of their time?
edit on 1-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join