It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival : Points I Have Not Heard Mentioned.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Hey there everybody, I always make it a point to at least read the posts about Survival and have downloaded several PDF files on the subject, as well as researching some things for myself. My family already has a plan but there are several scenarious I have not heard planned for. For example I have heard people say that they have stockpiles of weapons and food on land or at a home somewhere else away from where their "city" home and their jobs are. This is quite often the case at least with people that I know who are "prepared."

Ok so what if we go into a state of martial law and all highway and interstate travel is blocked?

Also I have heard people for years tout and promote you to prepare prepare prepare, stockpile, stockpile, stockpile etc......regardless of how much money you say you have or don't have I have even been told that me paying my bills should be the same level of priority as stockpiling.

I say to you and question those of you who are lucky enough to have been able to prepare or keep preparing because as of the last several years I have known about this I have been in menial barely average or above average jobs and have been able to afford day to day living at best.

I would say to those people who are not atleast middle class or have some savings that it is almost impossible for those that the impoverished level of existence that many of us are at to prepare for anything except to maybe breathe, eat, drink, and feed ourselves when we get up in the morning if we're lucky. I'm being somewhat dramatic but then again not really. I have not had any bills cut off as of late from sheer graciousness and luck from my bill collectors. I have been hanging on by the hair of my chinny chin chin.

So my question is this, for those of us who don't have many connections to be able to get a hold of things we will need especially on short notice and if money means nothing by the time we figure everything out, what chance do any of us have against the government or military or enemy combatants of any kind if only people who basically make atleast 35-40k per year are the one's able to save up enough money NOW to be able get survival tech and equipment????

If the world as we know it ended this way tomorrow would you survive? Are you ready? Are you? Really? How prepared is enough? And when is it too much?

Let the conversations begin!!!.........*()*

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonSpirit2

If martial law is enacted several illegal things will happen and I believe it is against the T&C to speak of illegal activity.
Therefore plan for another scenario, such as a kind invasion of friendly troops that do not shoot on site, sometimes....

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Get rid of your cell and become self reliant instead of cell reliant is my number one suggestion in that, second would be improve your physical condition so that you can travel at least ten miles without stopping and minimal water breaks, you could travel outside of the range of any type of martial status that way. Two day's worth of water, and enough tools to catch, kill, or get food and your set. Stay away from gridded area's like highways, major waterways and your golden. Good place to start is looking at the French resistance in WW2, and underground railway in the civil war to give you a good foundation and a starting point on that, maybe even read a bit into the guerrilla tactics used in the American revolution, you can get copies of the book used in the Academy for that, if I find it I will tell you who wrote it, it's in a box somewhere.

When will I learn I can find anything online, here's the book for you goes through every American war, my copy goes to the Gulf war, but I am sure it has been revised. www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306868966&sr=8-1
edit on 5/31/1111 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I love posts on survival.
I have slowly been stockpiling as I am not necessarily poor, but not wealthy either! I haven't been able to buy the things I want to ensure (almost complete) survival. I need a few guns! And those are pricey. I would like 2. One for me and one for my oldest son. He knows how to shoot and respects what a gun can do. But obtaining even one is out of the question for me right now.
So in the mean time, we have food, water, medical supplies and medications. As well as batteries, flashlights, and a few hand operated radios/lights. I would like to eventually stock a few drums of gas in my shed as well as GALLONS of water.
I don't have a "set" plan as I think they would be different given certain scenarios. I live a good 35 miles out of the city. My uncle owns a gigantic farm about 35 more miles from where I am. Depending on the scenario, I would pack up the kids and . out there.
Anything short of natural disasters that forced me out of my home, I would probably bunker down here. I would feel safer in my basement than trying to travel to my uncles farm.
But if there were attacks in the city, I would be getting the heck out pronto. I live right off the highway so it would be easy to hop on and take off.
My other concern is the health of my oldest son. He has some health issues and survival would be difficult for him if he didn't have access to a well balanced diet. Even with medication (which is impossible to get extra prescription meds!!) I don't think he would last long without good meals for an extended period of time. The thought of that alone terrifies me. I never even thought about survival stuff until I had children. I don't really care too much about myself. I could live off of crackers and water and be fine I'm sure. But ensuring their health and well being is at the top of my priority list.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Because that's what tptb want... That's why our economy will soon crash... Not to derail your stockpiling funds but to make you into poor defenseless you so then big brother can land his helping hand..PWN'D.

I took advantage of a turbulent silver market at the beginning of this year and then purcheaed my supplies with my winnings... Before that I was poor and still am poor. I look for meat on sale and dehydrate it.. I have a graden... You can make weapons of all sorts with a swiss army knife a roll of duct tape and some string...you don't need money to start a serious reserve... I live on the edge of a major city. If the SHTF i will leave asap in my 68 ford Bronco that i paid 250 dollars for and over 3 years dropped less then 3 grand in it and the effer flies. I guess maybe you should of posted this a wile back cuz time is running short these days it feels. There is still much you can do...
edit on 31-5-2011 by BlastedCaddy because: had more to say

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I should write up a nice long post on how the real key to survival is not the latest and greatest toys but simple old fashioned knowledge... it's not your toys that will save your life... but what you know that will keep you alive

So what if you don't have an AUG, two, one for each hand.... bet you can rig a snare trap if I teach you how... true hunting rabbits with a pair of full auto AUG's is cooler but...

As for stockpiles... do you really want to eat a years worth of freeze dried pasta... or would you rather plant a nice little backyard garden??? Say your yard isn't that big... seems to me in a real SHTF you'd have all your neighbours yards to contribute to your growing space...

road blocks... here today gone tomorrow...Oh sure for the first few weeks maybe months you'll see road blocks... but once the crowds die down... trust me... if you have to get out... get out before hand,or plan to spend one year/winter, where you are... you do not want to try moving with the crowd... that would be suicide...

Don't stress on what you don't have... make a list of what you do...
when you encounter those things you need... stop thinking about how buy them, but rather how to make, find or fashion them.... don't come crying... but I don't know how... well that my friend is your job and responsibility...Learn how, keep studying, put those skills into practice... form a local group with complementary skills... use your noggin and stop creating problems for yourself when you should be building on the foundation you already have...

The Best survival tool sits between your ears....

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

You might be on to somethin... I think you should write that as do others i am sure..

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This comes down to a very important point:

Are you looking to survive 3 months or for years? The difference being do you think "the problems" in our country are going to be short term or long term?

Me, I am going for the long haul approach.

The reason this question is important is because there is very little point in stockpiling food past a month or two at most. If you don't know how to find your own food and water, you are facing death as soon as your stockpile runs out.

Long before I stockpiled anything, I would learn basic survival skills. How to find and purify water, what wild plants are edible, how to build a fire in any weather, how to catch, hunt, trap game.

The truth is, if one is preparing for a tornado, earthquake, etc...some supplies, a week or two, are helpful. The country doesn't collapse because of a usual natural disaster. Tide will be out with their washing vans, FEMA will come, etc.

Now, if the country collapses, prepare for the long haul. As soon as Federal and local governments break down panic will set in and more and more conveniences will erode. In this case, a stockpile of more than 30 days TOPS will cause the following problems:

-- target for unprepared people (they will know you are there eating something....)
-- unable to relocate (way to heavy and cumbersome, target for traveling thieves, etc.)
-- dependence on your supply (I'll hunt when I get close to running out...)
-- countdown to death (does it really matter if you survive only 3 months? If you don't know what to do when it's gone....)

I really don't think people sitting in their happy homes with smoke coming out of the chimney and piles of food around them is the " need to survive" scenario I am envisioning.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
let me ask you dragon spirit? how much do you spend on internet per month?
2nd line.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
LEarn to become zero reliant on electronics.

Every economist I know is saying that 2011 is the year to start getting out of debt, big time. Several different sources are saying not to add unnecessary expenditures this year, at all.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Of course spending some cash and getting good tech can increase one's odds of survival, but here's the biggest kicker in the world.....wait for it.....

Our race has survived MILLENIA without "tech", you just need to make sure you have the basics, the REAL basics, and some knowledge.

You need a reliable knife - The Gerber Profile is $18 at Wal-mart, it is an outstanding knife at that price point, and can hold it's own against many other blades in more pricey ranges.

A reliable form of fire starting (flint and striker at the minimum) - You can get Mil Spec Flints (Ranger Flints, etc.) from $7 - &10

Water - Military canteen with cup, use the cup to boil the water if the water source is questionable, this will run $10-$15 if you go with a 1qt canteen. Water purification tabs though aren't too much more, another $10.

Warmth/shelter - Emergency blankets, the mylar type, they do work, (you're surviving not having a weekend at the Hilton) these are usually $5/ea, get a couple.

Trapping - Ideal would be some 24ga brass wire, but you HAVE to have 550 paracord, you can get 100' for $5 to $10, if you need smaller threads you cut off a section and separate it.

Then spend time in the library or the bookstore, don't need to buy anything, just read and soak it up and take notes for reference.

I understand tight budgets, but sticking to the true essentials you can do it, the above list is about $50-$70, if it's REALLY tight, just grab $10-$20 worth of gear a week, you'll have what you need pretty quickly.

If you have no experience outdoors, camping, hiking, or whatever, watch some Man vs Wild and Survivorman, these will get your brain in the right frame of mind, they're not bible's to survival, they'll just get your . in the right place, then GO CAMPING, get OUTDOORS, you need to get comfortable with nature if you're going to rely on nature to survive.

ETA: Oh yeah, Duct Tape also, you can never underestimate the value of duct tape, a million reasons to have it but it will be the reasons you can't think of where it will be invaluable.
edit on 31-5-2011 by Hijaqd because: Duct Tape

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'm not a survivalist, I am a "prepper" or a "do-it-yourself" guy, or even better, a "self-sufficiency enthusiast."

If you put back 20 bucks a month (Don't tell me you cannot cut a candy bar or some coffee or ... the net).

-pick up a staple each time you go to the grocery. A can of veggies, a loaf of bread to freeze (although you should be baking your own bread), a bag of beans or a bag of rice.

-pick up a pressure cooker at the hardware store, some ball jars and lids, and some wax. Can whatever is on special in the produce aisle. Green beans will keep 2-3 years if you can them yourself. Right now, I'm working on canning butter!

-start building scraps for a raised garden bed, or save money to rent in an urban garden. IF you will take the trouble to grow AND can your own food, it's practically free. A can at the grocery now costs over a dollar. You can a jar of green beans you grew for like, 15 cents.

-Save up for 5 gallon plastic water jugs; fill them and store them in your home. 14 gallons for every person.

-Don't buy a first aid kit. Buy different bandage supplies after you have a large cache of food, make your own First Aid Kits. One for home, one for each vehicle, one for each bug-out bag.

-buy a 22 rifle with a scope, used at a pawn shop, and learn to use it. 22lr is the weapon of choice for the mafia; why do you think that is?

-after you have some food and first aid piled back, start in on flashlights, lanterns, candles, and general camp gear. Or make your own. For the price of a summer sleeping bag with some perverted cartoon on it, my wife can make three sleeping bags for the kids. I am looking into making our own backpacks, instead of paying top dollar for the kids to take to school in the fall.

-learn to hunt, fish, garden. Then find out what animals you can raise. IF you have a back yard, rabbits are terrific for their meat, and are not regulated since they have no sounds or odors associated.

-download all the books you can.

-buy tools at the pawnshop, and learn to fix whatever cars or bikes you own. The library has more information than you can digest.

I have a jillion kids, and more debt than kids; but I am preparing for the worst because the worst is becoming inevitable.

It is hard work. But you know in your heart that winter is coming. And I don't mean the seasonal change in the sun's declination. I mean winter. The winter of discontent. When people decide there's no pay in playing by the rules, and the only virtues are force and fraud. You can give up, which is what most will do (even the parasites will, quickly enough), or you can prepare, and maybe come out better than you went in. You cannot make yourself invincible, but you can leverage your position.

Some people found their niche in society only after Rome had fallen.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It's not easy to work out where to start, but you need water, food, shelter. These are the primary priorities. With regard to food, the best thing you can do by far is invest in an Excalibur food dehydrator, a vacuum packer & some cryvac bags. Done properly, dehydrated food can last 30yrs, & you can buy up on fresh food that happens to be in season & selling cheap. It's amazing how much food you can stash away all over the place & it weights next to nothing. Store it in buckets at home or pack up PVC tubes & bury them. You can also buy non hybrid seeds & vacuum pack them. This is the long term food strategy. Learn how to make a solar dehydrator so you can dry your crops in the summer if the power is gone. Most importantly, forget the "rugged individual" survivalist concept because you won't make it without community. If you have like minded friends with skills, start talking to them & making a contingency plan. Whilst you may feel like a paranoid wacko doomster at times, it all comes back to common sense & your ability to read into the future more accurately than most given the circumstances we find ourselves in these days. If anyone needs convincing just get them to watch the documentary "Collapse". If they're not getting the picture after that them cut them loose because they have the blinkers on & nothing you say will change them. Oh, & stop watching TV. Get to work.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

I am actually lucky in the way that I live in a college town because they like to include amenities here so my high speed internet and cable are included in the price of my rent I only pay $600 per month for a 2 bedroom as it is now but it's going up by almost a $100 come August when the students get back. Unfortunately the draw back I have living literally right off of the University is that when the college students leave in an otherwise relatively small town all or most industry dies therefore my job is highly seasonal. About Feb. 15th - May 10th = Busy time during spring semester and around August 15th - November 15th = busy time around fall semester and football season. I may make above average pay for these months but then I am essentially down to $100 per week for all of summer and from around December to the middle of February. I see what you're saying and ya almost everybody I knows eats out atleast a couple of times per week because as a taxi driver in a town like this I spend a lot of time "out." So it's typically what I consider a pain in the butt to carry my lunch every single day I work. But you're right if I cut out say eating out 1 day a week I could essentially buy something for atleast $10 every week.

Btw in response to some other posts I love the show "The Alaska Experiment" and "Survivorman." I have been camping and can switch from "urban" living to being in a tent like that, absolutely love the outdoors. I'll give you an example a few years back I owned a tent (unfortunately it was stolen) and I spent 2 weeks with my wife in this tent just spontaneously decided to stay instead of go home, no preparedness etc...and wanted to stay the rest of the month, however the wife decided she missed her shower and our king sized mattress too much to stay any longer. I told her right then and there I was perfectly willing to just go up into the wilderness in that tent and live. If I had my way that's what I would do, however I do have a wife and a 2 year old little girl to think of and it would not be as easy for them as it would me.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijaqd

And thanks for that btw appreciate the basic list.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

No problem, after those essentials, everything else is gravy and comfort.

Just piece by piece, put it together, if you need links for ANY of that gear or other things, u2u me, I have links for a number of reliable and affordable gear.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Most bug-out-bag items are things that you already have laying around your house... it's just a matter of gathering them together into one place (ie: duffel bag) so you know where they are if you only have a few minutes to get the hell out of dodge.

Things laying around your house that you can easily gather together into a duffel bag:

- Bandaids, q-tips, cotton balls, small roll of gauze - grab a handful of each and toss them into a ziploc baggie
- Nail clippers, tweezers, small scissors - toss in with the bandaids, etc
- Needle and thread, some safety pins - toss in with bandaids
- Hydrogen peroxide - save and clean out a small plastic bottle with a tight closing cap and pour some in there, put into a ziploc baggie
- Bar of soap - toss into a ziploc baggie
- Handful of Tylenols, Aspirin, Excedrin, Motrin, whatever - toss into a ziploc baggie

...You now have a makeshift mini first aid kit !

- Candles - surely everyone has a few of these laying around
- Garbage bags and/or leftover plastic grocery bags - you'd be amazed at the uses you can get out of those things
- Extra pair of socks, undies, t-shirt, comfy pants, sweater/hoodie, light rainproof jacket (gather clothing based on the type of climate you live in) - we all have clothes laying around that we hardly ever wear
- Flashlight w/some extra batteries
- Matches - if you don't have any, most places hand them out for free advertising (bars, restaurants, etc) - toss them all into a ziploc baggie
- Extra blanket and pillow - can be thrown into a garbage bag and put next to the duffel bag
- Some personal hygiene things like a toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, compact mirror (which can also be used as a signal or fire starter), etc.

These things you may not have kicking around the house, but are not expensive to purchase at a bargain store to throw into your BoB:
- sharp strong hunting knife in its own carrying case
- multi-tool or swiss army knife
- small camping axe
- water bottle or water canteen
- small portable radio w/ extra batteries

These are just some of the simple, quick to gather things that you can organize at minimal cost, if any cost at all. Look around your house, use your imagination, think of things that can serve as dual purpose too.

The smallest of preparation (for any situation) is better than no prep at all.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but I managed to get a copy of The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery.

An excellent resource for anyone that wishes to know what generations before us knew and how to do it just as they did back then! It is a Bible of information!

I also located a blog that is dedicated to those that follow this book and Carla's other publications.
encyclopediacountryliving.blogspot.com...

OK, here is a link that should get anyone all giddy-like: Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them.

Another spine-tingling read: Solar Pasteurization

Here is one of those Gems I can drool over: Old Fashioned Living Presents; The Garden's Path

Probably all mentioned before, but just in case there might be someone new on the scene, these have been my favs!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
You will be amazed at what you can do with very little cash....seeds are not expensive....camping gear isn't to bad if you realize you can use a tarp $10-$20 instead of a tent $50-$600....its a lot about your skills and abilities with gear...with food rice and beans are cheep...
You wear cloths right...so thats covered
You have a bathroom and items you use there...just get 2 or 3 when you need 1 and when the 1 is gone go get a few more of whatever it is...you build up you supplies that way. This works for all your supplies if you do it slowly over time, you will be suprised how much stuff you can aquire.
A sling shot is cheep, a bb pellet gun, or 22 is cheep....use your . and make a plan and go from there...plan for the most likely first and then the next likely...so on and so forth.

Good luck

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Good points.

If unable to reach your site, or whatever, make your home a bunker. Or instead of going by vehicle one could attempt a stealthy hike to the secured area.

Stockpiling only goes so far. Even canned food and ammunition go bad. So there is good reason to keep only a moderate amount.

As far as expenses vs. finances, there are always ways to cut corners. I bet there is camping gear on ebay for cheap. An old boy scout handbook or field survival guide can go a long way. Read them and practice.

Scrounge. Scavenge. Salvage.

Make it your new hobby. Cancel the cable, and xbox live. Eat PB&J. Take a lunch to work. Spend your tax return on a bug out kit.

Most of the items in a bug out bag should be small, essential, and relatively cheap. And kept near the camping gear.

You would be amazed at how much of what needs to go into a kit is just laying around your house.

A lot of what you can do is condition yourself. Stay in shape, or improve your overall health. Exercise daily. It's free. (Need to take my own advice here.)

As far as firearms go, well, good ones usually aren't all that cheap. Shotguns are relatively cheap and 12 gauge ammo is as common as it gets.

Double barrel 12 gauge shotgun brand new: $400
Recurve bows can be found pretty cheap.
Knives are cheap. Even some good ones.
Machete, Ax, Hatchet: very inexpensive.
Baseball bat: go look in the closet.

Handguns, assault rifles, and amassing various ammo types is where it gets really expensive. Unless you have money to burn...

Estate sales, Gun Shows, and private owners are possible venues of cheap firearms. Ask a friend. Somebody always knows somebody that will part with a piece or two.

What chance do we have?

Let's face it. Most of us probably do not stand a chance against the types of tragedy for which we prepare, or the one specified by the OP. It's not like all of us are just going to be able to hunker down or fly away. There's a lot of people in the same boat.

Living hand to mouth requires a good deal of survival skill. So don't count yourself out either.

Not giving up is a big part of survival.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join