It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Gun to have for when the brown stuff starts flying.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The best gun for SHTF?

Rules: Conceal, Defend, Utility ---> High capacity handgun.

CONCEAL
You need to be able to conceal your weapon for several reasons. Primarily, so you don't become a target. Having a shotgun, rifle, or carbine slung over your shoulder is like having a blinking neon sign "threat" or "free gun" or "arrest me".

If you are spotted by Military (martial law) from a distance (check points, helicopter) you DO NOT want to have a gun visible otherwise you most likely will become labeled a threat and hence forth taken OUT.

DEFEND
Revolvers are great, but in a fire fight having to reload after 6 rounds just isn't going to cut it.

UTILITY
A 9mm handgun will still allow you to take out small to medium game, but you need to learn how to shoot it well.

edit on 31-5-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by OoohLaDeDa
Hi!
Next in the flying brown stuff series:-

So, we have the martial arts sorted, now onto a subject very close to a lot of peoples hearts.

GUNS!!!

Which gun should a person choose to help them, their family and their pets survive? Which is the best and why?
Please consider as many reasons as you can think of when coming to your conclusion.

Its really hard to narrow things down to one specific gun because some are better in certain scenario's than other guns. My vote for the best all around would be a 12 guage shotgun Remington, Mossberg, Winchester etc. all make some very reliable pump action shotguns add a couple mods like a magazine tube extention, some tritium night sights and side folding buttstock and you got a more compact can of whoop ass in your hands. Load it with "00" or "000" buckshot and at close range 1-50 yards its absolutey devistating. Load it with some Foster Slugs and you can reach out to 100-150 yards accurately with an 18.5 inch barrel a longer barrel will let you reach out even further but then it becomes to cumbersome to carry. Another good shell to have on hand is #4 buckshot at close range it packs a heck of a punch too #4 is an ideal home defense round because it wont penetrate as much as "00" or "000" buckshot and spreads out into a wider pattern once it exits the barrel but don't use #4 Buckshot at long range the pattern gets to big to be effective.

Some on here have said a .308 would be a great all around while it would be great if all your encounters happened 500-800 yards away but in close combat it penetrates way too much and wouldn't be ideal swinging around a nearly 4 ft. long rifle from buttstock to end of barrel. A .308 in a home defense situation would penetrate completely throught the attacker, completely through your interior walls and completely through your exterior walls and then travel to your neighbors house and completely penetrate there exterior walls as well. Overpenetration is not what you want simply because it could cause severe injury or more to anyone that may be directly in its path.

If you prefer compact, and reliability then you cannot beat a .357 magnum revolver with a 4-6 inch barrel now you can get some revolvers that hold 7 or 8 rounds and with a .357 magnum thats a lot of firepower and you can reload that say 8 round revolver in half the time it would take to load 10 rounds into a semi-auto clip. With some speedloaders on hand and lots of practice you can reload your revolver just as fast or faster than somebody changing magazines. Plus for plinking targets you can use the much cheaper .38 Special in your .357 Magnum doesn't pack as much punch but can still get the job done with much less recoil and muzzleflash.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
its your money buy one of your choice not what people on here say

a gun without ammo is nothing but a club.

get a gun and get lots of ammo

and TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN and get use to it.

learn cqb most gun fights are 20 feet or less.

guns and ammo!!!!

edit on 31-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Poker
I think the best gun to have would be a loaded one.

Classic! Best argument to respond to all of the best caliber, gun, bullet grain, etc... folks. Jello Junkies and Morgue Monsters take note!!!
edit on 31-5-2011 by mandella1099 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by wardk28
The glock was the worst. I got more jams and as the magazine empties as you fire, you notice the difference in weight which can throw off your accuracy. No complaints with the beretta.

Seriously, man. Your Glock was defective/needed repair. Glocks are IMO the most reliable semiautomatic pistols available. Don't take my word for it, this guy trains with them every day. He runs a firearms training school in Tennessee. I've taken his "Fighting Pistol" class. Highly recommended.

www.youtube.com...

I shoot quite a bit. I've trained some. I take my gear out on the weekends and get dirty. I try to break things. It's the only way to know what works. I trust my life to an AK and a Glock sidearm in .40 S&W. Nothing wrong with a 1911. I love them...it's just that from my own personal observations my conclusion is that a Glock is slightly superior.

But...you can't use the Glock as a hammer. You can with a 1911.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
12 gauge sawed off. top pick but.....that's assuming you won't need to be far away from target or threat.

if that roar don't scare em' then ya gots a small problem.

really nice hunting rifle, w/scope.

sat nite special or a reasonable 2 shot derringer that can be hidden.

semi auto and/or auto of your choice. ones that can hold large clips.

i'm no gun expert, but 4/5 guns is is not a lot of hardware to drag around

besides the c-4 and claymores.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
As a perpetually pissed off Senior Chief Gunner's Mate once told me, the best gun in the world isn't going to save your life if you don't know how to shoot it.

The brand of gun is, for the most part, irrelevant. If it fires bullets reasonably straight and continues to function, you should be good to go.

I would strongly suggest practicing with as many different firearms as you can. You never know when you might need to pick up somebody elses.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by allenidaho
As a perpetually pissed off Senior Chief Gunner's Mate once told me, the best gun in the world isn't going to save your life if you don't know how to shoot it.

The brand of gun is, for the most part, irrelevant. If it fires bullets reasonably straight and continues to function, you should be good to go.

I would strongly suggest practicing with as many different firearms as you can. You never know when you might need to pick up somebody elses.

The ole "A Gunners Mate once told me" line. Classic.

op, i hope you see that this mans post is obvious and true. hopefully in considering buying a rifle or handgun, the thought crossed your mind that you should know how to use it?

As for a gun that shoots reasonably straight and continues to function? i would say guns that dont meet that criteria are the minute minority. so again, a pointless comment.

The last line is right on. Considering your just thinking about it, you arent involved in a gun culture. So shooting many guns isnt an option.

any who

Looking through this thread the consensus is 12 gauge, which I agree with.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I've chosen a Mossberg 500A for this purpose due to it's reliability and versatility.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Sticky with a shotty. People watche movies or play video games and think shooting guns are easy. Well I got news for you, unless you go to the range often, you'll probably miss most if not all of your target...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CrUARlmqso

This is awesome and your able to have your AR.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

A question though, being an army wife for most of my life, I have heard lots of negative things about 9 mm police weapons. Why do they have such a bad reputation??

I personally prefer shotguns!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

A 9mm is a fast round. It tends to go through a person rather than dump it's energy into them.

I actually prefer the .40S&W because you get close to the same capacity as a 9mm, and close to the same stopping power as a .45. It's a good in between round and it is also plentiful.
edit on 13-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Ruger 10-22
Almost never jam with factory 10 round mags.
You can carry 10 times the ammo.
22 cal good penetration at good velocity.
Rambo will be the first among the dead in a shtf.
10-22 cost a fraction of alot of other guns.
It can take down large game but it is illegal to do so in all states (I believe) animal cruelty for those who cannot aim.
22 kills full grown men.
I have never repaired mine, so I assume they are durable. parts are available however.

I like the .22 for plinking targets because its cheap and fun but for hunting purposes there are more that are much much better and can almost guarantee a humane one shot kill on small game and large game. The .22 is good for small game i'll give it that, but anything that fits in the large game category its ineffective unless target is at just the right range, standing in just the right spot with perfect weather conditions and you hit just the right spot, miss and you just lost dinner and/or severely pissed off the animal and now he's chasing down while your plinking away shots under stress, he finally gets you and maims you and now he's eating you for dinner along with his other friends he shares the great outdoors with.

Now in a home defensive situation with an intruder armed with a much more powerful weapon than your .22 LR and knows how to use his/her weapon my money is on the intruder and frankly I would not risk my life to a inferior weapon and caliber unless you don't value your own life or that is your very last resort, thats my choice though, you do what you feel is right. I sleep very sound at night knowing that I have close by a Remington 870 loaded with 6 "000" Buckshot and 6 more "000" buckshot waiting on the sideshell carrier.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
1. Whatever you have

2. One your very comfortable with

3. One you have plenty of ammo for

4. One that you can shoot accurately

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by OoohLaDeDa
Hi!
Next in the flying brown stuff series:-

So, we have the martial arts sorted, now onto a subject very close to a lot of peoples hearts.

GUNS!!!

Which gun should a person choose to help them, their family and their pets survive? Which is the best and why?
Please consider as many reasons as you can think of when coming to your conclusion.

Chinese made SKS. I own several other rifles, and this cheap unit ALWAYS fires, and chambers the 7.62X39 NATO round. Most "enemies" will be using these rounds, so it will be easy to pick up THEIR ammo once you take care of business.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
12 gauge sawed off. top pick but.....that's assuming you won't need to be far away from target or threat.

if that roar don't scare em' then ya gots a small problem.

really nice hunting rifle, w/scope.

sat nite special or a reasonable 2 shot derringer that can be hidden.

semi auto and/or auto of your choice. ones that can hold large clips.

i'm no gun expert, but 4/5 guns is is not a lot of hardware to drag around

besides the c-4 and claymores.

Wow 4-5 guns is not alot of hardware??? now remember you need ammo for those 4-5 guns and you'll most likely want to lug around some extra magazines or loose ammo for those 4-5 guns and if you have for instance say a 7.62x39 30 round steel mag for an AK thats around 2-3lbs. just for that one 30 round magazine. Ammo has more weight than most without experience know, hence is why the US Military and many other Militaries around the world use the 5.56 or something similar. Smaller round means less weight meaning the more ammo a soldier can carry to send towards the enemy, sure the .308 and .30-06 are far superior in every category to the 5.56 but that ammo weighs nearly twice as much and if your lugging around 5 guns fully loaded with loaded mags in a chest rig and some extra ammo in your pack next thing you know just your guns and ammo add up to 40 or 50lbs unless your in the Military and used to carrying gear on a frequent basis its just not practical.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The best gun for me has to be the L85-A2, the A1 was shire but the A2 is reliable, leightweight, powerful and is capable of a kill from 1.2 miles. That is pretty good for a small arm.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensdoexist

Problem here is your 1 shot 1 kill thingie.
Can you tell me of a better caliber for small game other than 22 LR, L, S, or CB?
The only answer is no.
You could use a handgun but a rifle is far superior.
Now this 1 shot of say 223 or 5.56 nato, have you ever shot a squirrel with 223?
Yeah, see there is the problem, alot of bloodshot meat and just alot missing.
Plus anyone who has been hunting will tell you that the big game vs small game ratio is a wide gap, you will pass 200 squirrel on your way to a buck.
Plus squirrels are alot easier to dress and pack out.
In home I can dump 10 rounds of 22 acurately before you could realize someone was shooing at you.
Sun Tsu, said 1 soldier defending his home...well you understand I'm sure.
If you need the heavy and big bang still that is fine.
Good hunting.
Another thing I feel I must address is the inferior weapon thing.
I have owned an 870 years back, I do not own one anymore and have no intent of owning another.
Unless heavily modded with aftermarket parts, the 870 is actually a classic definition of inferior.
A ruger 10-22 out of the box is one of the best designed and functioning weapons in the world, that's the fact.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Glad your not in upper brass in the military, my bet is you'd be pushing to get the Ruger 10/22 as the standard issue gun for ground troops and there would be a ton of dead troops because you seem to think the .22 is the "Be all, End all" in every scenario from hunting to gunning it out with insurgents and criminals breaking into your home. I'm enitled to my opinion just like you are too, you keep your .22 because in your own mind your right and not willing to listen to sombody else's views on the effectiveness or lack of effectiveness on small calibers and I'm done wasting my time talking to a wall that doesn't want to hear sombody critisize the godly uber powerful all around ultra reliable obsolete rimfire .22 LR, good luck and goodbye because your right and anybody that criticises the .22 will automatically be wrong.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join