It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Precrime device being tested by Homeland Security in Northeast US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
More police state devices from those totalitarian bastards.

‘Malintent detection’ technology tested in the northeast United States

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has begun field testing new technology designed to identify people who intend to commit a terrorist act.

Nature reported that the DHS has been conducting tests of Future Attribute Screening Technology (FAST) in the past few months at an undisclosed location in the northeast.

The technology uses remote sensors to measure physiological properties, such as heart rate and eye movement, which can be used to infer a person's current mindset.

According to a Privacy Impact Assessment (PDF) released by the DHS in 2008, the technology is intended to measure a person's malintent -- the intent to cause harm.

"Behavioral scientists hypothesize that someone with malintent may act strangely, show mannerisms out of the norm, or experience extreme physiological reactions based on the extent, time, and consequences of the event," the report stated. "The FAST technology design capitalizes on these indicators to identify individuals exhibiting characteristics associated with malintent."

The DHS has claimed accuracy rates of around 70 percent, but some scientists have questioned the results.

And once this is accepted both by the government/large portion of society, if a machine says your guilty, with almost no proof of error, why do you need juries? Or even commit a crime at all before getting arrested? I mean, humans are certainly not smarter than machines!

This is your future in 5-10 years if Homeland Security isn't dismantled.
edit on 31-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Malintent screening?

I swear I'm not planning anything malicious. It's just gas. Horrible face crunching gas.

We've been operating on a pre-crime system for a while now with charges like "conspiracy" and all of this media supported guilt before innocence garbage filling up the news. Of course the glorious PA isnt helping liberty any.

We're just getting around to admitting it now.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Reminds me of the Minority Report film.
Big Brother is not only watching what you do, but is predicting your actions and will punish you BEFORE you execute them?
Wow!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I posted a thread on this several years back, the really creepy thing is that the folks behind this software being contracted to handle our Airport Security are former Mossad and IDF goons...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Isn't there a movie about that exact same technology? Like a cop is part of a unit that uses Precrime devices to stop crimes before they happen?

This just seems too much like a movie script. What's next? Robocops?

ETA: Konstantinos beat me to it.
edit on 31-5-2011 by isthisreallife because: oops.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Good thread. This is highly disturbing! Here is an article from 2k7 that I believe is relevant.

A team of world-leading neuroscientists has developed a powerful technique that allows them to look deep inside a person's brain and read their intentions before they act.

"Using the scanner, we could look around the brain for this information and read out something that from the outside there's no way you could possibly tell is in there. It's like shining a torch around, looking for writing on a wall," said John-Dylan Haynes at the Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences in Germany, who led the study with colleagues at University College London and Oxford University.

"We see the danger that this might become compulsory one day, but we have to be aware that if we prohibit it, we are also denying people who aren't going to commit any crime the possibility of proving their innocence."

www.guardian.co.uk...

Brave new world indeed. You are all guilty until proven innocent, got it?!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This is just amazing.Let's assume that this thing works and is highly accurate for a second. What is to stop the unscrupulous from programming it for use against their enemies? Like owebowmore having it used against Rush or some other political threat or "undesirable" so that they are designated a "terrorist" or "criminal" by the machine. No judge, no jury, just the "intent" as measured by the "computer". WTF is this world coming to?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
This is just amazing.Let's assume that this thing works and is highly accurate for a second. What is to stop the unscrupulous from programming it for use against their enemies?

Exactly. That is another big point.

Owns guns? The machine flags you. Don't like the FED? The machine flags you. Don't like police brutality and getting away with it? The machine flags you.

And you can't appeal it, it's a MACHINE... it doesn't make mistakes!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Let me see.
Let's say I'm walking down the street, and I see this hot girl. My eyes race all over her body, and as a natural side effect my heart rate goes up. The system detects this and suddenly I'm a rapist?

Because if that is so. Every man is a rapist.
edit on 31-5-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
More police state devices from those totalitarian bastards.

‘Malintent detection’ technology tested in the northeast United States

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has begun field testing new technology designed to identify people who intend to commit a terrorist act.

Nature reported that the DHS has been conducting tests of Future Attribute Screening Technology (FAST) in the past few months at an undisclosed location in the northeast.

The technology uses remote sensors to measure physiological properties, such as heart rate and eye movement, which can be used to infer a person's current mindset.

According to a Privacy Impact Assessment (PDF) released by the DHS in 2008, the technology is intended to measure a person's malintent -- the intent to cause harm.

"Behavioral scientists hypothesize that someone with malintent may act strangely, show mannerisms out of the norm, or experience extreme physiological reactions based on the extent, time, and consequences of the event," the report stated. "The FAST technology design capitalizes on these indicators to identify individuals exhibiting characteristics associated with malintent."

The DHS has claimed accuracy rates of around 70 percent, but some scientists have questioned the results.

And once this is accepted both by the government/large portion of society, if a machine says your guilty, with almost no proof of error, why do you need juries? Or even commit a crime at all before getting arrested? I mean, humans are certainly not smarter than machines!

This is your future in 5-10 years if Homeland Security isn't dismantled.
edit on 31-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

So they randomly imprison people for feeling weird? huh?

US Gestapo: Disagree with us you go to jail. Act strange you go to jail. Notice our insane power grab go to jail.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Wow...this takes profiling to a whole new level. In the past we could be presumed guilty, or likely to commit crimes, on the basis of having tattoos, being black, dressing a certain way, riding a Harley...now they're tapping our brains. Will I be ticketed or arrested for thinking about running somebody off the road the next time they cut me off?

If DEA cannot use infrared as PC on a growhouse, certainly ACLU et al will pusue this as pure invasion. Arguement: a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy in their thoughts!
edit on 31-5-2011 by capod2t because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2011 by capod2t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

There's no place like home.

Oh darn. I'm still here with this article open on the screen.
How do we fix it? It's has to be broken in some way, shape, or form.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Do we really need a machine to detect shifty eyes? The machine could be empty, with a red light and a green light. Then the police can say the machine said the suspect looked suspicious, elimimating any liability. What a scam to circumvent the law.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Wow, just wow, leaves me kind of speechless.

This is just begging for misuse and abuse, which I'm sure was in the cards when it was designed.

Our country right now has the highest incarceration rate in the world already, do we seriously need some other way to keep locking the citizens up?

It is the stuff like this that makes me really consider leaving the US, I have always been of the mind that this is OUR country and I will fight to return it to the way it was designed by our Founding Fathers, no matter the circumstance I have always felt that there is NO way "they" are going to chase me out of my birthright, but now that they have a way to impede on my rights because an f'n machine says to!

The worst part about it all is, that they will catch up some poor fool, paint him as a jihadist or terrorist, cycle it 24/7 on all the MSM news and the masses will cheer at our technological superiority, all the while firmly selling their remaining rights and sealing the totalitarian state.

The whole point of Minority Report was to show how heading down this road would lead to the technology being manipulated and abused, and they said "Hell yeah, that's an awesome way to do it!!"

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Terrified of flying? *Snap of rubber gloves*

We'll check your prostate while we're at it!
edit on 31-5-2011 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
One good jolt of Inderal and its success rate drops to maybe 10%. You didn't hear it from me.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
load of bollocks if youll pardon my French. They had all on getting good xray machines installed and working that can literally see you naked and now we have a mind probe that can read your intentions...I don't think so. How would you calibrate it? how would it tell the difference between a mind that's contemplating the ending of a good action/thriller book or film and a mind contemplating an unlawful act?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Do we really need a machine to detect shifty eyes?

I do not think you understand. The shifty eye people are going to be the ones operating this machine - they are the ones with questionable morality that think its proper to detain people without cause, subject them to intrusive testing, and then arrest/torture/gas them even if 30% of those people are completely innocent.

The people that will be 'detected' are people like us that just posted a response saying we don't like being treated like criminals.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by markygee
load of bollocks if youll pardon my French. They had all on getting good xray machines installed and working that can literally see you naked and now we have a mind probe that can read your intentions...I don't think so. How would you calibrate it? how would it tell the difference between a mind that's contemplating the ending of a good action/thriller book or film and a mind contemplating an unlawful act?

No, I'm afraid its not. There is a YouTube video of a 'commercial' for lack of a better word from the manufacturer demonstrating the technology. The video was not intended for public consumption. They demonstrate how 'awesome' it would be to be able to screen everyone that attended a sporting event - and how they can process X number of people per minute with the technology.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Oh don't worry soon enough elites will live in large compounds with ED209's and sentry guns, crowd control sirens etc etc. They will control food growth via GMO and all utilities. The compounds will be self sufficient and only the desired will be welcome into them while the outside world is wasteland.

In a round about way it says this in the bible. Essentially Jesus his princes and the chosen will live in protected city while the rest of the people suffer on the outside. That's the promise included in the return of Christ, the righteous dictatorship?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join