It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even in suicide, soldiers' families deserve condolences from president? ** Update **

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
OP this is a great post,I have witness alot in my time in the service and my brother also.The mental stability
of our solders needs to be address, and the counseling they get is very minimal they would rather give you a
prescription and throw you back out there.I have lost 5 very good friends in Afghanistan and one was a suicide.
God bless all that we have lost do to a worthless War.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more, E1.

If you die at war, no matter the cause, you deserve recognition DIRECTLY from the president himself. It's the least he could do to honor the fallen.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I think they should definitely get recognition. Obviously they would have done the act under a great deal of stress and a lot of those who did commit suicide at war must have felt there was no other way out. It would be like refusing recognition for a soldier who died of a heart attack or something. It doesn't matter how they died, they obviously sacrificed everything for their country in the end.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
The reason for te blackout on the letter is the fact they died by their own hand and not at the hand of the enemy. This I unfortunately support.

The person is still to be added to the overall number but not added to the rolls of those killed in action. If I am not mistaken they still qualify for full military honours, the flag folding and presentation ceremony and the 21 gun salute for their service but are not recognized as a KIA person.
edit on 4-6-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
*** UPDATE ***

Official: White House to lift ban on military suicide condolences

The Obama administration has reversed a White House policy of not sending condolence letters to the next-of-kin of service members who commit suicide, a senior administration official confirmed in a statement to CNN.

The move comes nearly six weeks after a group of senators -- 10 Democrats and one Republican -- asked President Barack Obama to change what they called an "insensitive" policy that dates back several administrations and has been the subject of protest by some military families.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

How many of those who committed suicide were regular users of medication prescribed to them by the military doctors???

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join