It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red line bordering my posts and a couple of others

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Um actually no. I have never cared about stars, flags or anything like that. I care about the content.

I think it's cool yes but it's not like I am all "omg look at me," I am proud of my contribution on ATS. Its like my second home

It's not only about what you think of it. It's about what it does to the community. The content is what matters, not the member from whom it comes from. I have seen countless of examples where members such as "Slayer" have been handed lots of stars to, when the comment was pretty much a one line piece of crap with no quality content whatsoever. Do you think the fancy outline is gonna help in matters or will it create a new distinguished class of poster? I think the latter. And believe me when I tell you. Too much praise gets into people's heads and leads the way for power.

Let's not praise the poster. Let's praise the post.
edit on 2-6-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Have you ever read Slayers threads? He is a wonderful contributor to the site. He also makes me laugh

I think you are missing the point.

Yes one liners get stars but honestly I don't care about stars or flags and some one liners are all you need to say.

Why are you so upset over it anyway? It's just an internet forum, it's not like we can buy anything with these borders.

Many of the top members contribute wonderful threads and posts to ATS, what is wrong with recognizing their work? I don't see anything wrong with it. Why don't you look at some of the top members profiles to see how they contribute?

Personally if people only look at that (the borders) and not the post that is their problem.

I only star posts that have good content and contribute to the thread, sure I star the occasional joke that makes me laugh, why not?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

There never was freedom of speech here, so to speak.

We are guests on a privately owned website and we play by their rules.

I also don't see how giving recognition to members who have been recognised by their peers constitutes stifling freedom of speech?

I never claimed that there was freedom of speech on this site. I mentioned freedom of speech in regards to certain topics which we are not allowed to discuss, which even the MSM is discussing. But for some reason on this site we can't.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

They use to have these contribution levels below your avy, then they went away. So it's not like they didn't have them before.

I think those were here when I first joined or shortly after.

They have had a few different contribution level things on here since I joined. They get revamped here and there it seems.

Good. I'm still totally against it. It stinks of elitism. No member is better than any other member, except trolls. We are all better than them.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I was sitting here reading the post, and thought to myself,
self, should you really post in this thread?

So I went and got a cup of tea, as I was putting the tea in the microwave, the time read 11:11

which was the wrong time BTW

That was my clue,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This all reminds me of the debate over the bars, and how passionately Jkrog08, wanted to keep them, the above post is an example of his topics, I encourage everyone to check them out, he was a humble and well loved member,

I am a prime example of how one who isn't a prolific writer, or a fighter, who starts UNPOPULAR topics, that are politically incorrect can some how

never mind

edit on 083030p://bThursday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 083030p://bThursday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Awe I loved my Jkrog! We were very good friends off of ATS and that thread you linked is awesome! It's in my signature

Yes he was a wonderful contributor and he did want to keep the bars, I remember that.

Star for you if I could

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Freedom of speech is a specific right of the people to speak without the interference of government. Can you explain how that applies to ATS, an internet forum? ATS is not a government nor is it a democracy nor even a representative republic. It's a privately-owned website with rules made by the owners. It is a dictatorship. You are a guest here. If you don't like the rules, you don't have to participate. Believe me, there are plenty of rules that I don't like. But I am free to leave. This is not my home. I do not make the rules.

There are subjects we cannot discuss (read the T&C). If you expect Free Speech on ATS, it is your mistake for doing so.

No my friend. Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak without someone breathing down your neck. Government has adopted the principle. Which was created by the people. And you are damn right this is a dictatorship. So it is appearing more and more everyday. Still I believe people should have a say when it comes to making changes to the website (like creating polls), because after all this site is kept alive by all the members. Without the members this site would be nothing.

People are equal. Content is not.

As others have said, these little bands of color seem to be extremely important only to those who don't have them. It means diddly to me.

I wouldn't want it for anything in the world for reasons I already stated. No member is more valuable or better than any other member.

On the other hand. I completely agree that people are equal but content is not! Let's start giving praise and recognitions to comments and not people. And we already have a system for that called "stars" where people can vote for the content that they really like and agree with.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

No member is better than any other member, except trolls. We are all better than them.

And there you have it.....

Well, most likely you won't obtain any recognition (good stuff) with that attitude. Troll is the dark side... come to the right side..

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Awe I loved my Jkrog! We were very good friends off of ATS and that thread you linked is awesome! It's in my signature

Yes he was a wonderful contributor and he did want to keep the bars, I remember that.

Star for you if I could

YUP, I immediately thought of him yesterday,
when I saw this new feature, he was special, no doubt about that.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

This is a private site and the owners can do what they please and set their own rules, if you don't like it there's the door so to speak.

If it wasn't for SO and Springer there wouldn't be an ATS.....You should thank them, not insult how they run their site.

I have been to many forums and this is the only one that has any kind of structure to it and I like it, which is why I havent left since I joined

Yes there are certain topics that are highly restricted but again it is their site and they have their reasons for it.

Based on you post earlier I am going to assume the topic you think we should be allowed to discuss is the drug topic. Well read this thread and the two updates given by SO and you will get your answer as to why these topics are highly restricted and limited to what is posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I also don't see how giving recognition to members who have been recognised by their peers constitutes stifling freedom of speech?

To me my peers are the other members of ATS..
This system of the top 100 posters is obviously NOT decided by my peers/members..

It's more an admin/mod selection...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

He would love this feature too!!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Personally if people only look at that (the borders) and not the post that is their problem.

That's the whole point. These new fancy outlines are gonna put unnecessary attention (however small) towards them, instead of towards the content. And I can see it already. The posts with the outlines are gonna get more stars and more value/praise than the ones that don't have them for the simple fact that it comes from a top "golden" or "silver" member.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

prolific writer

You think that just because you made quality threads and posts over the years, you are incorruptible? Get real man...

No, we have to follow the rules just like everyone else,

peace
edit on 093030p://bThursday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

This is a private site and the owners can do what they please and set their own rules, if you don't like it there's the door so to speak.

If it wasn't for SO and Springer there wouldn't be an ATS.....You should thank them, not insult how they run their site.

Well last time I checked I'm still allowed to give my opinion on something I disagree with. Thank god I guess?

So I'm insulting how they are running their site? A disagreement is an insult? Man... And you are a silver, almost way above top secret member huh...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Then you should do your part by intentionally not starring or flagging any post or thread from a "bordered" member regardless of the content.

Just see that border and refuse to flag/star.

That way you can help negate what you perceive as an irrational reflex on the part of those flagging and starring any border they see with your an irrational reflex of your own.

edit on 2-6-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Hey.. just noticed the new contributor bar

not that i want one .. but how many post/flags/stars .. do you need to have the bronze/silver/gold bar ??

the old bar system was great.. would be cool to put it back on
im sure more then 80% of all member liked the old one better

i suggest a poll
to let all the ATS member vote on which system they would like to have

great work so far

i have suggest to many of my friends and even work collegues this great site

even infowars dont beat ATS

i wonder if Alex Jones have an account on ATS
edit on 6/2/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Then you should do your part by intentionally not starring or flagging any post or thread from a "bordered" member regardless of the content.

Just see that border and refuse to flag/star.

That way you can help negate what you see perceive as an irrational reflex on the part of those flagging and starring any border they see with your an irrational reflex of your own.

Is that what you think I should do? Almost sounds childish... Like I said before, I value content not the mouth from where it comes from. This outline is giving value and praise to the mouth, not the content.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

That's the whole point. These new fancy outlines are gonna put unnecessary attention (however small) towards them, instead of towards the content. And I can see it already. The posts with the outlines are gonna get more stars and more value/praise than the ones that don't have them for the simple fact that it comes from a top "golden" or "silver" member.

Probably partial true as it has always been for members with more stars for example..
I personally noticed I get far more stars now than when I first joined..
My views and posting style hasn't changed so I can only put that down to now being recognized more to some members and being akin to their views..

I think the recognized posters will always receive more stars etc..
Unfair?? Maybe, because I look at all posts regardless of a members stats and star that post accordingly..
We all started with nothing..

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Well they shouldn't receive more praise just because they are recognised posters. Imagine what this outline is gonna do. It's gonna give them even more praise. And the content may be a total nuance to Joe's. But he isn't as recognised and doesn't have the fancy outline.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join