It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peanut Allergy PATCH?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Source: ca.news.yahoo.com...

"An experimental patch could help desensitize people with peanut allergies, a biotech company says.

In allergies, the immune system reacts inappropriately and vigorously to the point that it can trigger inflammation in the airways that can cause breathing to stop.

Scientists aim to desensitize that overreaction by exposing someone to a bit of the allergy provoking protein in the hopes that the body will become used to it."

Looks like the nicotine type patch has made its way to helping people deal with peanut allergies! Pretty Cool. Its still under investigation however, it seem promising, It works much like the nictone patch, by realasing a small amount of the allergen from the patch through the skin in an attempt to desinsitize people to their allergy.

Thoughts?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I get newsletters on this almost weekly. I am a shift supervisor for a peanut processing plant recently overtaken by ADM.. They're trying all sorts of ways to knock the peanut allergen out of existence without killing the peanut. It scares me, I don't want to process GMO peanuts. I work at one of the only plants in Texas that does organic processing, that would mean the probable loss of that license if we were to start refining genetically modified "allergenless" peanuts. A patch would actually be a welcome alternative to GMO.

new topics

join