It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funny/silly & insperational quotes from Political Figures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
yes ok i was bored and when im bored i look at random junk
thought id share these with everyone to get a chuckle or gaze at the silliness

quotes taken from This Site

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
...Dan Quayle

"He is racist, he's homophobic, he's xenophobic and he's a sexist. He's the perfect Republican candidate."
...Bill Press (about Pat Buchanan)

"I am reserving two tickets for you for my premiere.
Come and bring a friend - if you have one."
...George Bernard Shaw (to Winston Churchill)
"Impossible to be present for the first performance.
Will attend second - if there is one."
...Winston Churchill, in reply

"If I were married to you, I'd put poison in your coffee."
...Lady Astor (to Winston Churchill)
"If you were my wife, I'd drink it."
...Winston Churchill, in reply

"You will either die on the gallows or of a loathsome disease."
...John Montague (to John Wilkes)
"That depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."
...John Wilkes, in reply

"What makes him think a middle-aged actor, who's played with a chimp, could have a future in politics?"
...Ronald Reagan (about Clint Eastwood running for mayor of Carmel)

"He can't help it - he was born with a silver foot in his mouth."
...Ann Richards (about George Bush)

"Nixon's motto was: If two wrongs don't make a right, try three."
...Norman Cousins (about Richard M. Nixon)

"If life were fair, Dan Quayle would be making a living asking, "Do you want fries with that?"
...John Cleese

"If you haven't found something worth dying for, you aren't fit to be living."
...Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Kites rise highest against the wind--not with it."
...Winston Churchill

"I have always believed that the road to peace lies in genuine understanding between people. The more we know about one another, the more we come to realize that, in fact, we are not so different after all."
...Jordan's King Hussein

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
...Winston Churchill

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
...Martin Luther King Jr.

"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?"
...Abraham Lincoln

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
...Dan Quayle

"I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix."
...Dan Quayle

"It is wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago..."
...Dan Quayle

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."
...Dan Quayle

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself."
...Mark Twain

"Yesterday, December seventh, 1941, a date which will live in infamy, the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."
...Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind."
...John Fitzgerald Kennedy

"I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to die in."
...George McGovern

"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die."
...Salvador Dali

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
...Winston Churchill

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
...John F. Kennedy

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom."
...General Patton

"The problems with first ladies is that you have to set the standard. My role is to be both star and slave."
...Imelda Marcos

"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do matters very much."
...Jackie Kennedy

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't."
...Margaret Thatcher

"Feminism was established to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream of society."
...Rush Limbaugh (like he's one to talk)

"We must all hang together, or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ...Benjamin Franklin at the signing of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

"No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent."
...Abraham Lincoln

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty."
...John F. Kennedy

"Older men declare war. But it is youth that must fight and die."
...Herbert Hoover

"Pro is to con as progress is to congress."
...Unknown

"Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount."
...General Omar N. Bradley

"My first wish is to see this plague of mankind, war, banished from the earth."
...George Washington

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
...Sir Winston Churchill

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
...Sir Winston Churchill

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
...Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can guarantee success in war, but only deserve it."
...Sir Winston Churchill

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."
...Sir Winston Churchill

"Throughout the history of mankind there have been murderers and tyrants; and while it may seem momentarily that they have the upper hand, they have always fallen. Always."
...Mahatma Ghandi

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."
...Groucho Marx

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
...Henry Louis Mencken

"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."
...Ronald Reagan

"Ninety-eight percent of the adults in this country are decent, hard-working, honest Americans. It's the other lousy two percent that get all the publicity. But then - we elected them."
...Lily Tomlin

"Americans, indeed all freemen, remember that in the final choice, a soldier's pack is not so heavy a burden as a prisoner's chains."
...Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
...Theodore Roosevelt

"There is only one quality worse than hardness of heart and that is softness of head."
...Theodore Roosevelt

"I am different from Washington; I have a higher, grander standard of principle. Washington could not lie. I can lie, but I won't."
...Mark Twain

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
...Mark Twain

"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."
...Harry S. Truman

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."
...Harry S. Truman

"I don't know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be."
...Abraham Lincoln

"I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free."
...Abraham Lincoln

"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just."
...Abraham Lincoln

"The ballot is stronger than the bullet."
...Abraham Lincoln

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."
...Abraham Lincoln

"Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."
...Abraham Lincoln

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
...Ronald Reagan

"Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of."
...Benjamin Franklin

"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."
...Benjamin Franklin

"Marriage is the most natural state of man, and...the state in which you will find solid happiness."
...Benjamin Franklin

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
...Plato

"Politics is actually a combination of two words: "poli", which means many, and "tics", which means bloodsuckers."
...Jay Leno

"To err is human. To blame someone else is politics."
...Hubert H. Humphrey

"When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung."
...Henry Ward Beecher

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex ... uh...setbacks."
...George Bush

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity; If you want to test a man's character, give him power."
...Abraham Lincoln

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"
...George W. Bush

"It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it."
...George W. Bush

"This is Preservation Month. I appreciate preservation. It's what you do when you run for president. You gotta preserve."
...George W. Bush (Speaking during "Perseverance Month")
edit on 31/5/11 by ronishia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

William Tecumseh Sherman

I’m biased as he’s my Great-Great-Great Grandpappy, but there is always wisdom to had from those who have “Been there, Done that”.

- I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell.

- I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are.

- If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast.

- War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
thanks, good list, made me want to go read some more, ty

join