It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to finally abandon SPIRIT rover on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Source: ca.news.yahoo.com...

"LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Spirit, the scrappy robot geologist that captivated the world with its antics on Mars before getting stuck in a sand trap, is about to meet its end after six productive years.

Spirit has been incommunicado for more than a year despite daily calls by NASA. The cause of Spirit's silence may never be known, but it's likely the bitter Martian winter damaged its electronics, preventing the six-wheel rover from waking up."

Seems as though NASA has finally given up on the SPIRIT rover after it fell into a deep dark sleep. It has been unable to answer back any calls/communications that NASA has directed its way. As much as i dislike NASA for many reasons, I do have to say that th rover project was pretty amazing! The amount of time these little guys spent roaming all over Mars is pretty cool! Especially when you look at how long the mission was expected to last!

If you're interested, "A formal farewell is planned at NASA headquarters after this weekend's Memorial Day holiday and will be televised on NASA TV."

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I am curious to see how many people give reasons as to why NASA has not been able to communicate.
Actually I am curious to what people have to say as far as NASA not giving any truth to the subject. Thats why I love this site!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWhaler

Some of us have been following the two rovers [Spirit and Opportunity] progress. The little engines that not only could but did! It was only a matter of time before Spirit went belly up. Considering their original Mars mission lifespan expectations were only 90 days.

The rover got stuck in early 2009. It's last communication with Earth was on March 22, 2010, as Martian winter approached and the rover's solar-energy supply declined. The rover operated for more than six years after landing in January 2004 for what was planned as a three-month mission. I say the US tax payer got more than their moneys worth.
edit on 31-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWhaler
I am curious to see how many people give reasons as to why NASA has not been able to communicate.
Actually I am curious to what people have to say as far as NASA not giving any truth to the subject. Thats why I love this site!

NASA has communication problems because the martians stole the antenna so that they can communicate with the beings inside Comet Elenin.

True story, I dont need to post links to back up these ridiculous factual claims!

DISCLAIMER - The contents of this message are totally fabricated, by reading this message you have automatically agreed not to use the content in any way that may be deemed as factual. Thank you for your consideration and logical understanding.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

last contact was 3/22/10 ey? Thats interesting. Oh those skull and bonemen probably stole it to put geronimos head on it.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Why don't NASA publish the frequencies, power and commands / protocol used so maybe somebody else can try?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by zookey

Hmm good question? Apparently they have been trying to send broadcasts for a while to 'revive' the rover but to no avail. The last try to revive will be sent today, and they will contonue to listen for anything out of the rover from orbiting spacecraft but the outlook is that the rover has said its final words.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Agreed! for a 3 month mission to turn into that long is amazing! The pictures that came out of those rovers was pretty cool. As i said before, I have many issues with NASA, however this mission was a fantastic success in terms of money spent and knowledge gained

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by zookey
reply to post by Nspekta

Why don't NASA publish the frequencies, power and commands / protocol used so maybe somebody else can try?

If NASA did this and if someone were actually able to control a rover, then they could put graffiti on Mars. This reminds me of the smiley face on Mars hoax where a hacker supposedly controlled a rover to draw a smiley face on a rock. I looked for the youtube vid but could not find it.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Poor lonely guy.

new topics

top topics

join