It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70% of Science Award Finalists Are Children of Immigrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Immigration is a boon to American science and math, a new report asserts, noting that 70 percent of the finalists in a recent prestigious science competition are the children of immigrants.

"In proportion to their presence in the U.S. population, one would expect only one child of an Indian (or Chinese) immigrant parent every two and a half years to be an Intel Science Search finalist, not 10 in a year," wrote the report's author, NFAP director Stuart Anderson.

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=ArqVUZpqL_y90BxP1ATvcscPLBIF;_ylu=X3 o'___'NtM3ZnbmpvBGFzc2V0A2xpdmVzY2llbmNlLzIwMTEwNTI5Lzcwb2ZzY2llbmNlYXdhcmRmaW5hbGlzdHNhcmVjaGlsZHJlbm9maW1taWdyYW50cwRwb3MDMwRzZWMDeW5fbW9zdF9wb3B1bG FyBHNsawM3MG9mc2NpZW5jZWE-

What is it that makes asians so much more studious than others?
I'll tell you what, culture!

The U.S. is being de-culturized, too much stupid reality TV shows and too much dumbing down on news stations.
Everything is stupified. Children growing up are surrounded by stupidity.

Then you will have people saying these hard workers with good parents are stealing their jobs, the jobs that they aren't skilled enough to get.

Something needs to change in the U.S., and it needs to change Yesterday!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I would be curious as to others suggestions to break away from this crap being shoved into our faces here in America. I have felt a rising consciousness in myself over the last couple years to break away and keep an open mind about everything, so Id really be interested!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Its lot more than culture. Most of the immigrants migrating outside Asia are generally educated mass. The drive to succeed is embedded by the parents into their children through hard work and dedication. Otherwise there are cultural shocks to be witnessed in any part of the world. However I do agree that the media in general is biased and to maximise the profits, dumbs down the masses by using commercial echo. Its more so a mind control thing where Kids are not born dumb but indirectly channeled to act and think dumb.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This is a great example of how those that don't have much except parents that push them to exceed will succeed. Instead of depending on handouts and welfare.
I have always been of the idea that when you work hard and succeed, and then give your winnings to your children, instead of teaching them how to work hard and succeed, you are dooming them in the future.
No one wants their kids to want for things in life. But, when they want and work for that want, they will in turn succeed.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This is hardly surprising. Asians on average have a higher IQ than Whites, and their culture puts more emphasis on intellectual pursuits than ours.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evola
This is hardly surprising. Asians on average have a higher IQ than Whites, and their culture puts more emphasis on intellectual pursuits than ours.

That doesnt mean that Caucasion race is dumb as most of the modern science is to be credited to the west (though ancient science existed but was unproven or destroyed to a certain extent).

A big factor is that Competion is fierce and chances of landing a good job are very slim in most asian countries. Thus it also breeds intelligent students. Cost of living and Life in general is expensive in comparision to the western lifestyle (though west is closing the gap quickly with the rising inflation).

new topics

top topics

join