It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Limousine Liberals? Number of Government-Owned Limos Has Soared Under Obama

page: 1
3

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   





Limousine Liberals? Number of Government-Owned Limos Has Soared Under Obama

Limousines, the very symbol of wealth and excess, are usually the domain of corporate executives and the rich. But the number of limos owned by Uncle Sam increased by 73 percent during the first two years of the Obama administration, according to an analysis of records by iWatch News.

Most of the increase was recorded in Hillary Clinton's State Department.

Obama administration officials said most of the increase reflects an enhanced effort to protect diplomats and other government officials in a dangerous world. But a watchdog group says the abundance of limos sends the wrong message in the midst of a budget crisis. The increase in limos comes to light on the heels of an executive order from President Obama last week that charges agencies to increase the fuel efficiency of their fleets.

According to General Services Administration data, the number of limousines in the federal fleet increased from 238 in fiscal 2008, the last year of the George W. Bush administration, to 412 in 2010. Much of the 73 percent increase--111 of the 174 additional limos--took place in fiscal 2009, more than eight months of which corresponded with Obama's first year in office. However, some of those purchases could reflect requests made by the Bush administration during an appropriations process that would have begun in the spring of 2008.



I really encourage you to read the article. It is most amusing- particularly the reliability of the GAOs numbers in the first place.

The article continues:




Although the overall limo numbers in the fleet report were up in 2010, federal agencies and departments did not benefit equally. The State Department, with 259, had more limos than any other agency in 2010 and has gained 194 limos just since fiscal 2008. Of those new limos, 98 were defined as "law enforcement," which the GSA said means they are equipped with sirens or lights, high-performance drivetrains, or are used for surveillance or undercover operations.

The State Department in a statement said its limos are deployed by overseas diplomats and in the United States by Secretary of State Clinton and "distinguished foreign visitors." Many of the limos in its fleet are armored to protect against attack. The department said its Obama-era increase in armored limos is "both in proportion to the increased threat to diplomats serving overseas and is in proportion to the increase number of diplomats we have serving in high threat environments." Appropriations documents indicate the State Department was engaged in a longer-term effort to increase the number of armored vehicles that would have stretched back to at least 2007.

...

The Department of Homeland Security, which in 2010 had the second largest number of limos at 118, dropped four limos from 2008 to 2010. A spokesman for DHS said the majority of its limos are used by the Secret Service, which is part of the department, but declined to elaborate on exact numbers, citing security concerns.

...

According to a March report by the GAO, the federal government spent $1.9 billion on new vehicles in fiscal 2009, and burned through 963,000 gallons of fuel a day with its fleet of 600,00 vehicles.



Funny times.




posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
The federal government is, for the most part, a gigantic scam being run out of Washington, DC. The main goal is that of any confidence game...to separate you from your money.

The less Federal Government does, the freer We the People are.

Remember: A tax on your income is the root of all evil.



posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by loam
 


Please do not hate me as I am not that way but I am just asking the hard question everyone wants to know but is afraid to ask.
Our current potus is buying alot of cadilacs?
Whoda thunk!



posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It's Christmas every day for Obama and his henchmen. They have a huge fund of taxpayers money to spend, spend, spend.
edit on 31-5-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Don't forget the Limo that bottomed-out in Irealand last week.
Is Obama paying from his wallet or American tax-payer?



posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Exactly what is a limo. If I get a "limo" at the airport it is generally a POS used up mini van. So that is called a limo. If the president or many other targets were not being shuttled around in an armored limo -- would that not be a dereliction of duty of the people involved in protecting these people. The article switches from limos to vehicles and back. Is an SUV a limo - hell every soccer mom in the US uses one of those. Is a Lincoln town car a limo -- sometimes a towncar is just a cab.

Bull# article. The US needs to provide transportation for its executive. Some is wasted. Show me a corporation that dosen't waste money. I have personally arranged a round trip bus-jet from Huston to Puerto Rico for a 100 modems that some project manager felt had to be delivered that day. They sat for 3 weeks after that. I know a pilot who has flown from upstate NY to Florida with fresh christmas trees so some execs holiday went well.

To think there are not notable examples of excess in any endeavor is really kinda naive.

I assume that they did not buy all 600k vehicles in 2009 because that would come out to about 3,166.oo per vehicle. So maybe they do have POS minivans. If an aging fleet of 600,000 replaces 10% of its fleet and they averaged 30k per vehicle they would spend roughly 1.6 billion. Not counting salvage value of the vehicles they got rid of.

My god they burned 903,000 gallons of gas -- about 1.6 gallons per vehicle. Some of those Home Land Security vehicles were probably used for patrol and virtually never shut down, getting pretty good gas mileage there.

Note math is close but it is more meaningful than the article.

Pointless article...is pointless, not news.


edit on 31-5-2011 by spyder550 because: added points

edit on 31-5-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by spyder550
 



Originally posted by spyder550
Exactly what is a limo. If I get a "limo" at the airport it is generally a POS used up mini van. So that is called a limo. If the president or many other targets were not being shuttled around in an armored limo -- would that not be a dereliction of duty of the people involved in protecting these people. The article switches from limos to vehicles and back. Is an SUV a limo - hell every soccer mom in the US uses one of those. Is a Lincoln town car a limo -- sometimes a towncar is just a cab.


Notwithstanding, there is no indication whatever definition is used that it changed between Bush's administration and Obama's. So whatever your flavor of "limo" Obama's administration clearly seemed to suddenly need waaaaaaay more of them.


What changed?



Originally posted by spyder550
Bull# article. The US needs to provide transportation for its executive. Some is wasted. Show me a corporation that dosen't waste money. I have personally arranged a round trip bus-jet from Huston to Puerto Rico for a 100 modems that some project manager felt had to be delivered that day. The sat for 3 weeks after that. I know a pilot who has flown from upstate NY to Florida with fresh christmas trees so some execs holiday went well.

To think there are not notable examples of excess in any endeavor is really kinda naive.


Citizens have the freedom to make dumb financial choices. Governments do not. That expectation is a feature, not a flaw.



Originally posted by spyder550
My god they burned 903,000 gallons of gas -- about 1.6 gallons per vehicle. Some of those Home Land Security vehicles were probably used for patrol and virtually never shut down.


That's per day-- which demonstrates the point that a lot of those vehicles just sit around.




Originally posted by spyder550
The article is pointless.


Not really, but it obviously made you feel better to say that.


edit on 31-5-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by loam
 


Incase anyone wanted to know..

At 963,000 gallons of gassoline, at an average of $4 (because some, like limos takes premium, and many take diesel I increased the average as compared to the average cost of regular unleaded which is 3.80 for this fiscal year) comes to a yearly total of $1,405,980,000 Approx. Give or take a few dozen million.




posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Hey all you critics...how are all his czars expected to get to Hank's Oyster Bar for lunch???!!!

Geez! Do you expect them to eat in the cafeteria like normal people???



posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by loamIt is most amusing- particularly the reliability of the GAOs numbers in the first place.


It's actually the GSA's numbers that are unreliable. The GSA, the ones who are reporting this increase in Limo numbers...



The GSA said its limousine numbers are not reliable, even though the federal fleet numbers are officially recorded every year. In a statement, GSA spokeswoman Sara Merriam said, "The categories in the Fleet Report are overly broad, and the term 'limousine' is not defined," adding that "vehicles represented as limousines can range from protective duty vehicles to sedans." Asked whether the GSA actually knows how many limos it has in its fleet, Merriam responded that GSA "cannot say that its report accurately reflects the number of limousines."


This is a non-story.



posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by loamIt is most amusing- particularly the reliability of the GAOs numbers in the first place.


It's actually the GSA's numbers that are unreliable. The GSA, the ones who are reporting this increase in Limo numbers...



The GSA said its limousine numbers are not reliable, even though the federal fleet numbers are officially recorded every year. In a statement, GSA spokeswoman Sara Merriam said, "The categories in the Fleet Report are overly broad, and the term 'limousine' is not defined," adding that "vehicles represented as limousines can range from protective duty vehicles to sedans." Asked whether the GSA actually knows how many limos it has in its fleet, Merriam responded that GSA "cannot say that its report accurately reflects the number of limousines."


This is a non-story.


but it is being megaphoned by the baggers



new topics

top topics



 
3

log in

join