It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cucumbers kill 14 in Germany - Dangerous Food?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a88fea29c9fa.jpg[/atsimg]

14 Dead in Germany as Cucumber Crisis grows

Is it just me, or do there seem to be more and more food bourne illness outbreaks that turn deadly lately?

I am not talking about genetically modified crops from Monsanto or anything like that, I simply mean good old fashioned food turning deadly.

At what point in time do we all have to simply drop back to growing our own food in our own gardens to make sure we are safe?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
They are not sure that cucumbers are the cause. A container with cucumber apperantly tumbled over and dropped the boxes on the floor. The bacteria could have gotten onto them during that event.

Test have not yet concluded that the cucumbers are the origin. So, leave Larry alone or cover his eyes will ya.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I have my own Garden going
as we speak... have been reaping Kale for days
Broccoli & green leaf lettuce... oh and don't forget the
Strawberrys

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
If people would properly wash/cook their vegetables, then this problem would not exist. I just can't feel sorry for the lazy and stupid.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
ALWAYS wash fresh produce before eating it...even after a fresh rain. You don't know what might be hidden in those raindrops or what might be in that dust...

...and hey, Larry's getting a bad rap here!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This is why I have a rule NOT to eat any foods that are red or green. This is proof those foods are dangerous!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

No red or green food eh? You think it has anything to do with the color? I worry more about the antibiotics in meat.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

there s nothing to laugh about when pple die..and dont call them lazzy,not all viruses die easily after washing the vegetable..all i know is that they were imported from spain and were so called bio products(which i personally never buy cause i grew up in a farm and i totally know what a true bio product smells and tastes like..)
if u live in the city and still want to be safe just make friendship with a good old fashion farmer and buy directly from him..thats if u dont personally like milking the cow and care for your own garden

wish everybody all the best and stay safe!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I smell Monsanto might have a hand on this since there well known for this type of problem. Does anyone agree?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
I smell Monsanto might have a hand on this since there well known for this type of problem. Does anyone agree?

Um, no. The bacteria that caused these illnesses/deaths is enterohaemorrhagic E. coli , which originates from cattle fecal matter. The most likely reason that this occurred is the vegetable farm is located near a cattle feed lot and flies carried the bacteria from the feed lot to the vegetable farm. This problem can exist anywhere, with any "brand" of crop. This has nothing to do with Monsanto.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by withallmylove

there s nothing to laugh about when pple die..and dont call them lazzy,not all viruses die easily after washing the vegetable..all i know is that they were imported from spain and were so called bio products(which i personally never buy cause i grew up in a farm and i totally know what a true bio product smells and tastes like..)
if u live in the city and still want to be safe just make friendship with a good old fashion farmer and buy directly from him..thats if u dont personally like milking the cow and care for your own garden

wish everybody all the best and stay safe!
Some one with some smarts. I wish everyone would read this you are a wise one . I grow my own, what I dont grow I get from the farmers market.
PEOPLE ARE DEAD THATS NO JOKE.

Thank you

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Oh good- another reason to drown my cucumber slices in hummus!

SeraphNB

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by john1287

Thank you John! Pple like you are my hope for the future

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
cucumber is a boring vegetable anyway

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
That must be why my local supermarket is doing a buy one get one free offer then.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
There is nothing boring about a phallic shaped veggie that can kill people!

But there are some funny things about it!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It was reported today (NPR carried a segment on it) that the problem is NOT the cucumbers, so they are back to point zero trying to figure out the source. Testing has confirmed presence of e coli in some cucumbers, but they subsequently learned it was not the same strain.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
If people would properly wash/cook their vegetables, then this problem would not exist. I just can't feel sorry for the lazy and stupid.

Who cooks their cucumbers? unless ur having fried cucumbers, but usually cucumbers are eaten raw

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
It was reported today (NPR carried a segment on it) that the problem is NOT the cucumbers, so they are back to point zero trying to figure out the source. Testing has confirmed presence of e coli in some cucumbers, but they subsequently learned it was not the same strain.

I was going to say that infected cow manure could have been used as fertilizer. I've heard stories, nothing verified, that they use human manure in Mexico and that's why the veggies down there will give you the Aztec Two-Step. Anyway your post apparently showed that this cannot be the case.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

This particular case is not caused simply by not washing and cooking the vegetables properly.

Deadly bacteria NDM-1 spreads!

www.webdoctoradvice.com...

www.webdoctoradvice.com... new-bacteria-ndm-1-spreads/

- This infection will certainly expand further. Fortunately, not so fast as, for example, influenza. It spreads with dirty hands and objects, so it slows it. Prevention is primarily hand hygiene. Unfortunately, in the UK among infected patients death may be expected. This deadly bacteria in Great Britain “took” mostly children and elderly but particularly risk is for those who already suffer from some serious diseases such as cancer.

This is a serious outbreak which is spreading quickly without a well defined path, imho.

Drug-resistant super bacteria found in three US states and Canada

In fact, officials are not sure WHAT is the cause of the outbreak. The bacterial was found on some cucumbers, but they have not tracked them to all the victims, and have now had break outs in the UK, Canada and US.

14 dead in Germany as cucumber crisis grows

news.yahoo.com...

Authorities in Germany warned against eating raw vegetables after traces of the bacteria were found on organic cucumbers from Spain last week. But officials said they are unsure what caused the sudden outbreak of enterohaemorrhagic E. coli (EHEC) which can result in full-blown haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS), a disease that causes bloody diarrhoea and serious liver damage and possible death. The outbreak has hit countries including Britain, Denmark, Sweden and the Netherlands, but most these cases appear to involve people who had recently travelled to or from Germany.
www.rawstory.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join