It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

when tshtf, don't panic! (ever tried not to panic?)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by CN1018

yes, thanks, that was helpful.

It's not like we have many oppertunities to practice this, for most people the only practice they get is the real deal...

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Sound like you have a plan in mind

Hope it goes really well and you have lots of fun
I am sure your win your daughter over to the fun side

We aim for things which are fun but useful like tree camping (climbing and sleeping in tree boats)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

A good way to practice controlling that feeling is to start with the basics.

Start a list of things you fear. Heights, small spaces, water, and so on.

In small doses, put yourself in stressing situations that induce fear/panic. Then consciously find a way to separate the fear from your thought process. Once you train your body/mind to respond to fear with calmness and focus, it will become a lot more natural.

Ps- Thanks for starting this thread, It's an excellent topic everyone should put some thought into.
edit on 31-5-2011 by CN1018 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CN1018

I totally agree with your method described.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Instead of thinking "$&%^%$%# DON'T PANIC!!!" to myself, I think, "Just get through this."
It works for me simply because telling myself to not panic is nice, but not panicking won't solve anything. Getting through a scary situation requires action or reaction. Not panicking requires stopping, breathing, bugged out eyes, etc etc. Panicking accomplishes nothing when everything is at stake.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Back in the olden days I learned when learning to skydive did not involve being tied to an instructor - the first couple of jumps can be skeery. Standing on the wheel of a Cessna at 3000 feet and the throwing yourself into space will give you a sense of mastery, plus a week long adrenalin rush.

I was lucky in that my father was a doctor. I was able to watch him in a few life/death situations. The man would not panic. I saw first hand that panic was a totally useless emotion; dangerous to the person panicking and those around that person.

The only way to get over it is do something very scary with an amount of risk involved. Gather all the panic emotions in a box and just do it. you graduate from this with the ability to quell the panic emotion and the self confidence that you can do it.

Good luck

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Sit down and write out all of the bad crap that can happen to you and plan for prevention or containment.
If you fail to do this breathe, as breathing is all that is required to live.
You can go 3 weeks without food, 3 days without water, but only 3 minutes without breathing.
If you got that much, most of your battle is won.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Unfortunately, the only way to know is to be in such a situation.

I've had the fortune (or misfortune, as it were) to be in a few of these, and lucky for me, I'm more of the calm, cool, collected ones in an emergency situation. My wife is too, oddly enough, as she tends to normally be fairly emotional...but in an emergency, both of us think like lightning.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
The basic questions of this thread are:
How do you avoid panic in an emergency situation?
What can you do to urge yourself to calm down and think rationally?

Some seem to have the natural ability to stay calm under every situation, others (like myself) tend to jump up and down, panic and are not capable of thinking. Even if you have a plan, getting into a panic can set you back in a moment when you need to make crucial decisions.

So what's your "trick"?

breath. focus on your breathing.

When I was in court facing a trumped up charge a year ago which carried a penalty of jail time I was #ting myself. The breathing thing didn't dispel the reality of the situation I was facing, but it took the edge of my nerves and allowed me to hold myself together. And it kept me breathing, as in tense situations I can often wind up holding my breath. Even now long after I was completely cleared of the charge & have gotten my life back together I still # myself over much smaller things then that, for e.g when I went to the dentist last week I did the breathing thing but developed it a bit, and for the smaller things like the dentist it works a treat.

take big deep breaths through your mouth (or nose if at dentist), concentrate with your body on doing this task smoothly while you concentrate with your mind on counting each breath.

There is a physiological effect that happens when you breath like that which interrupts your thoughts making it near impossible to feel anxious, because if you think something that causes anxiety - as soon as you start to feel anxious your breathing changes. when that happens you can end up panicked about the fact that you're panicking, but here's what you do, don't try to stop thinking anxious thoughts, just start thinking about getting your breathing smooth and big deep long breaths again, as soon as you get your breathing right the anxious thoughts will fade again.

now you may ask how do I keep my breathing like that? well for the first 5 or 6 dentist appointments (i had really really bad teeth) I was able to just count to 10 over and over again for the whole half hour appointment, one number for every inhale+exhale, it helps also if you don't look around a lot & instead look at one spot as much as possible, something that doesn't move or change or demand attention in any way. Try to ignore your surroundings as much as possible. In the dentist chair I could do this & still respond to the dentists comments.

With the longer appointments I got bored of counting & instead I set a category 'animals' and a question 'how many?' then tried to imagine seeing different animals going about doing whatever they do. so I'd take a breath & think '5 monkeys in a tree' then another breath, '400 buffalo in a field' etc.

It probably sounds stupid but it worked.

looking back on all that now I would suggest that this breathing technique might not work for the panic caused by an end of the world situation, but it can help a great deal with thought regulation & overcoming anxiety.

Hope my answer makes sense to you & that it may be helpful.

peace,
-Bob

P.S) IF you are doing the breathing trick through your mouth make sure you use your gut to inhale instead of your chest for the simple reason that you get more oxygen that way & that's the way that this trick is designed to work - with the gut breathing, not the chest.

how do you know if you're gut breathing? instead of 'sucking' in the air as you normally would, try extending your stomach, push it out in front of you so its all bloated and you may notice you can do this without inhaling air. Try doing it again but allow air into your lungs, pulled in by the pushing out of your gut. you'll know when you are because your shoulders don't lift up simultaneously with your chest expanding, instead your gut expands the most your chest expands a little at the end of the inhale & your shoulders either don't lift or only lift a little at the end.

does that make sense? I may not be explaining this well. there are videos on singing techniques on youtube that can teach you to breath with your gut & you can see people doing it. anyway best of luck with all this, its a great tech' for relaxing in general & I recommend it to everyone

edit on 3/6/11 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
the 3 c's

stay calm cool and collected

running around like a chicken with its head cut off solves nothing and doesnt change any situation that you may be in.

rational thought is king but dont over think

irrational thought and fear will get you killed.

<< 1   >>

join