It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camping/survival recipes: mine and yours. LETS SHARE!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Some of these recipes are fine for camping, but you can also use them in survival situations or during natural disaster. Many are recipes or modifications of recipes that were cooked before electricity. Some are just tried and true personal recipes. I thought it would be nice to share with everyone and hopefully gain more for my files as well. WHen youre looking at these recipes, please dont think you have to hold fast to ingredient lists... I switch ingredients up all the time and surprise myself.
Ive gotten some of these recipes on the net, from friends, family, or just my own concoctions over the yrs.. I didnt come up with all of these myself and dont intend to mislead. Theyve been compiled for maybe 9 yrs now.** IF YOU HAVE A SPECIAL REQUEST FOR A RECIPE... let me know. I may have it. ** I have many cookbooks, some inherited.. and I can always look something up for you and just type it in to the thread.

I am older and have a HUGE database of recipes, some youll never find in a book or on the net as far as canning recipes and canned meats. I have methods of field curing and drying meats as well. I have about 30 depression era recipes Im going to make a separate thread for.. which should help everyone out hopefully in the coming financial hardships.

Since Im NDN, I thought Id start out with a few variations on frybread. Its cheap, easy, and VERY tasty. Throughtout my life Ive eaten frybread, married a white guy who never had it.. and now its a side dish at most meals!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simple bannock

2 ½ cups of flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
3 tblsp lard
1 cup cold water (approx)
Let's not forget the all time easiest campfire bread....BANNOCK!

Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the lard and mix in thoroughly. Gradually add the water (you may not need it all) and mix until the dough is thoroughly dampened, but not sticky.
Knead the dough on a floured board for 30 seconds. Flatten the dough to 1/2" thick. Cut into 8 pieces, and fry in a lightly greased frying pan, on medium heat, for 12-15 minutes each side.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pail bread

Grab a pail!

Literally, just throw in:

8 cups white flour
4 cups multigrain flour
1.5 tsp yeast
.5 tsp course salt (table salt will do)
.5 tsp sugar
1 tbsp each garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, and rosemary.

mix all dry ingredients in the pail

add 6 cups warm water and mix until combined, no more. I use my hands.

cover with the pail lid, but NOT TIGHT or it will explode when the yeast acts up.

Leave it over night.

In the morning divide into 4 equal parts without kneading. It will be sticky and goopy. That's ok!

DON"T add more flour!

I coat 4-9 inch cake pans with flour tho you can use bread pans too.

Sprinkle corn meal on top and put in a preheated 400 degree oven. Bake 25 mins, turn the oven down to 350 and bake for an additional 25 mins. Rotate the pans at the midway mark as ovens have weak and hot spots.

My ovens are professional convection ovens so you will have to experiment on yours but trial and error will produce fantastic results!

An outdoor oven can cut the baking time in half depending on the style.

If only a good loaf of plain bread is desired, leave out the spices. Also works great for a raisin bread or anything else you want. Experiment!

Makes 4 loaves.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outback camper damper:

4 cups of flour (self raising better than plain)
butter or oil - about a table spoon
1 to 1 1/2 cups water OR a stubbie of BEER

salt if you want it
raisins/sultanas if you have them
or whatever else you can think of

mix it all together
chuck it in a camp oven in the fire embers (or in foil in the embers)
cook for about half an hour

serve with butter, jam & cream, or whatever

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im Blackfeet and we have many recipes for it.. different sides for it as well. "Who has the best frybread" has been known to break up marriages, cause marriages, and cause fights..
NDN men take their wives frybread pretty seriously. The recipes can be very individual and add your own ingredients for different tastes or different "toppings" just for fun. If you get too enthusiastic with added ingredients or being, you may just be accused of being pretentious or the dreaded label of being " non-traditionalist"... and Im not even joking. LMAO! This is the exact recipe we always started out with and its a "double" batch.. but it really isnt.. doesnt matter how much frybread you make , you usually dont have any left over! I have used this recipe, smeared preserves thin on it, and rolled it up as a breakfast when camping.. and my husband has a real fetish with using a little hummus as a spread and topping it with minced shallots. stinky, but actually pretty darned good. If you google the history of fry bread.. it is something that was used in famine and fortune.. its a very versatile food. You can even make "indian tacos" out of it!

2 cups warm water
2 packages dry yeast
4 Tablespoons soft butter
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
6 cups white flour

Place water in bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water and allow to stand in a warm place for 5 minutes. Add butter, sugar salt and flour. Knead awhile, adding a tad more water…or flour to proper consistency. It will make a stiff dough.

Allow to rise in large bowl covered by a towel in a warm place for 1 hour. Place lard or oil in a large deep sauce pan and heat to almost boiling. Form dough into 4 inch discs about 1/4 inch thick and fry until golden brown on each side. Drain over paper towels on serving plate.

Serve with butter, jam, sugar, cinnamon sugar, or what ever you like…or make “Indian Tacos” as you would any other taco replacing tortillas with fry bread.

Note: Frying in lard is best and make a small hole in the center of each before frying!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No yeast fry bread

1 cup unbleached flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon powdered milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup water
Vegetable oil for frying

Sift together the flour, salt, powdered milk, and baking powder into a large bowl. Pour the water over the flour mixture all at once and stir the dough with a fork until it starts to form one big clump.
Flour your hands. Using your hands, begin to mix the dough, trying to get all the flour into the mixture to form a ball. NOTE: You want to mix this well, but you do NOT want to knead it. Kneading it will make for a heavy Fry Bread when cooked. The inside of the dough ball should still be sticky after it is formed, while the outside will be well floured.
Cut the dough into four pieces. Using your floured hands, shape, stretch, pat, and form a disk of about 5 to 7 inches in diameter. NOTE: Don’t worry about it being round. As Grandma Felipa would say “it doesn’t roll into your mouth.”
Heat the vegetable oil to about 350 degrees F. Take the formed dough and gently place it into the oil, being careful not to splatter the hot oil. Press down on the dough as it fries so the top is submersed into the hot oil. Fry until brown, and then flip to fry the other side. Each side will take about 3 to 4 minutes.

Fry Bread can be kept warm in a 200 degree F. oven for up to 1 hour. They refrigerate well and can be reheated in a 350 degree F. oven for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Some of these recipes youll see dry milk or powdered eggs.. thats what I have as far as camping or stockpiled "survival" food... just substitute. People buy TVP and dried goods for their survival pantries..... and seem to neglect to get any recipes.... so here you go:

Corn Cakes
Serving Size: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, reconstituted
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup whole egg powder, rehydrated
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. salt
   1. Preheat a skillet over medium heat.
   2. Spray skillet with nonstick spray
   3. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl with a mixer set on medium speed. Mix until smooth, but don’t over mix.
   4. Pour the batter by 1/4 - 1/3 cup portions into the hot pan and cook for 1 to 3 minutes per side or until brown. Repeat with remaining batter.

----------------------------------------------------------

Cornbread with Whole Wheat

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup brown (or white) sugar
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup whole egg mix, reconstituted
1/4 cup whole milk milk powder, reconstituted
1/4 c shortening powder

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cornmeal. Add reconstituted eggs, milk and shortening. Mix well. Bake in greased 9 inch square pan at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes. (Will also make 12 muffins.)

Variations: Add 1/2 cup cheese powder, or 1/2 cup bacon TVP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicken TVP Dinner
Serves a family of 4-6
Ingredients:
4 cups dry Chicken TVP, reconstituted
1 lemon, sliced
1/4 cup dehydrated onions
1 tblsp garlic powder
Olive oil
Thyme, sage, or rosemary, or a combination
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
In a roasting pan, place the chicken TVP mixed with onions, garlic, olive oil. Sprinkle lemon juice over the mixture. Sprinkle mixture with thyme, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook at 350F for 20 minutes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homemade Noodles

1/4 cup beaten whole egg powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 cup whole milk powder
1 cup whole wheat flour (or white)
water added slowly to make into dough

Combine all ingredients. Place dough on heavily floured counter and press out with hands. Sprinkle more flour on top of dough and then roll out with rolling pin until very thin. Let dry for 1-3 hours. Roll up heavily floured dough loosely and slice thin (1/4 inch) and unroll. Drop into boiling soup, or salted water, and cook 10-15 minutes. Yield: 3 cups cooked noodles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicken-Flavored Rice Mix

1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
1 1/2 T instant chicken bouillon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
Pinch of pepper
Combine all dry ingredients, 2 1/2 c cold water and 1 T butter or margarine in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and cook 15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Yield: 4-6 servings.

I have a TON more of the recipes for dried or freeze dried.. or TVP meats... if you need more : let me know. I wasnt sure how really into these items ATSers were.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Yeah mate send them my way for sure would love to have a file full of all these ideas for survival or just in case type thing. Thanks in advance.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Step one: crunch up Top Ramen and gently open top of bag, careful not to rip the sides

Step two: dig out the saucepack and tear off top

Step three: empty powdered saucepack into crunched up noodles

Step four: hold top of bag closed and shake contents(preferrable to do this while humming and dancing to your favorite tune)

step five: open and enjoy!

step six: take swig of filtered water and swish it around in mouth after a few bites and keep eating

step seven: return to killing zombies.....

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
One of the mods here made a great thread concerning Quinoa.. which didnt get much traffic. Quinoa is a superfood as far as Im concerned and we have incorporated it into our everyday diet. It is also VERY VERY simple and easy to grow in most climates in your own garden space. Here's the thread. It contains more info as well : www.abovetopsecret.com...

Quinoa Stir Fry (for hungry family of 4)
Created by: Pam Ruggles

2 cups quinoa cooked in 4 cups water
2-3 stalks broccoli, chopped
1 cup snow peas
3 spring onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tablespoon grated ginger
2-3 Tablespoons sesame oil
20-24 steamed shrimp Stir fry veggies in 2-3 Tablespoons sesame oil til tender. Add 1 Tablespoon maple syrup after veggies are done. Add 20-24 steamed shrimp and stir in, if desired. Add soy sauce to taste.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 cups water 2 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ cup quinoa 1 Tbs safflower oil
½ cup carrots, diced ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
¼ cup celery, diced ½ cup cabbage, chopped
2 Tbs onions, chopped 1 tsp salt
¼ cup green pepper, diced parsley, chopped

Sauté quinoa, carrots, celery, onions, green pepper and garlic in oil until golden brown. Add water, tomatoes and cabbage and bring to a boil. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Season to taste and garnish with parsley. Serves 4-6. This is a very basic recipe for quinoa vegetable soup. For variations try adding some of your other favorite vegetables, chopped and sautéed. Quinoa can be a welcome addition to just about any type of soup.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sopa de Quinoa

Serves 4

2 cups quinoa
6 cups water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 scallions, white part only, sliced
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs, yolks only
1/2 cup of grated Zuleta Andino or a similar mild, semi-aged cheese that melts well
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Bring a stockpot of water to a boil. Add the quinoa, lower heat to a simmer, and cook, covered, for approximately 60 to 90 minutes, stirring occasionally, until grains are soft.
While quinoa is cooking, heat butter in an 8-inch frying pan over medium heat. When butter is melted, add onions and cook until transparent. When quinoa is ready, add the onions and half of the milk and bring to a boil for five minutes, then reduce heat and let simmer.

While the quinoa mixture is simmering, process egg yolks, the remaining milk, cream, and cheese in a blender for one minute. Stir this mixture to the soup immediately before serving, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.

Cheats: Cook the quinoa up to a day ahead, reserving the cooking liquid separately. When preparing the final dish, heat and incorporate the quinoa cooking liquid in small amounts with the rest of the ingredients that go into the blender. Or, freeze the quinoa and its cooking liquid in an airtight container for up to three months.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe is FANTASTIC!

Black Bean Soup with Quinoa

Ingredients:

* 2 cups black beans, soaked overnight
* 2 quarts chicken broth
* 1/2 cup diced celery
* 1/2 cup diced carrots
* 1 cup diced onion
* 3 tsp minced garlic
* 1 cup diced tomatoes
* 2 Tbsp olive oil
* 4 tsp chopped cilantro
* 4 tsp sour cream

Spice blend

* 1 1/2 tsp paprika
* 1/2 tsp dried oregano
* 1/4 tsp ground new mexico chili pepper (if available)
* 1/2 tsp cumin powder
* salt to taste
* 1/4 tsp black pepper

Preparation:

1. Prepare basic quinoa.
2. Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Add the soaked beans, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until tender. Check water level and add more if necessary. (About 1 hour)
3. Strain the beans and reserve 2 cups of the water.
4. In the same pot, with beans removed, sauté onion, garlic, celery, and carrots in olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add the spice blend and sautée for 1 minute.
5. Pour the reserved cooking water, chicken broth, and tomatoes into the pot. Add the beans and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat.
6. Using a hand held blender, puree the soup in the pan until mostly liquid allowing some texture to remain.
7. Serve soup in a bowl over a scoop of quinoa or brown rice. Garnish with 1/2 tsp of cilantro and 1 tsp sour cream.

Serves 4

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman
Step one: crunch up Top Ramen and gently open top of bag, careful not to rip the sides

Step two: dig out the saucepack and tear off top

Step three: empty powdered saucepack into crunched up noodles

Step four: hold top of bag closed and shake contents(preferrable to do this while humming and dancing to your favorite tune)

step five: open and enjoy!

step six: take swig of filtered water and swish it around in mouth after a few bites and keep eating

step seven: return to killing zombies.....

Hmm are you related to my husband??
The man existed on frozen burritos and ramen before we got married..... and may even have used your ramen cooking nmethods.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Coffee can or pail meals.
These are real hits when we go camping.. and Id imagine with a little variation would be perfect for surviva; scenarios.

Coffee Can CHicken

* take a 3 lb. coffee can & using an old time beer bottle opener pop 6-7 holes on the side @ the bottom of can. then place 13 brickets in can,soak & lite. Have a chicken (3.25 lb. works best) but no more than 3.5lbs.
* Have seasoned to yo likings but don't fill the cavity too full for lack of the bird being able to ventilate. Wrap in Reynolds X-tra Heavy foil with feet to the top, place carefully in can and forget it for a 6 pack or so (2 hrs.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coffee Can Stew Coffee Can Stew Camping Recipe Camping Recipe
This Recipe is meant for older campers.
Decide for yourself if it is appropriate for your younger campers or not.
Required: 1 coffee can per person
aluminum foil
oven mitts
stirring spoon
Ingredients: Per person:
2 strips bacon
1/4lb chicken, hamburger, or stew beef
1/2 potato
1 carrot
1/2 celery
garlic powder
salt
pepper
Notes: This is similar to a hobo dinner, but with water added. Great for younger ones just starting to cook as long as there is no rush to finish the meal time.
Instructions: Dice all the vegetables.
Cut the bacon into squares.
Cut the chicken or beef into small pieces.
Place bacon in the bottom of can - the grease helps stop sticking.
Drop in pieces of vegetable and meat - as much as the person will eat.
Add seasoning as desired.
Add 1 or 1.5 cups water.
Cover with an aluminum foil lid.
Place directly in campfire coals.
Cook for 45-60 minutes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coffee Can Gunk

2 strips bacon
1 med. potato, sliced
1 med. onion, sliced
1 med. tomato, sliced
2 stalks celery
1/3lb. ground beef
1 carrot
salt and pepper to taste
Coffee can and lid
Cut carrot in half lengthwise. Cut celery and carrot into 2 inch lengths.
Cut bacon in half. Mold 2 meat patties. Place 2 pieces of bacon on bottom of can. Place layers of all ingredients.
Repeat. Place closed coffee can on top of glowing coals for 25 mins. Open lid and check after 10 minutes, if browning too rapidly, pour 2T. water in can.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corned Beef Stew

* 1 can Corned Beef cubed
* 1 can Creamed Corn
* 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese ( optional)
* 1 small onion chopped
* 1 medium potato-cubed
* 2 cups water
* 1 cup milk-any kind or powdered
* salt & pepper

How to Prepare:
1. Place potatoes in water in a coffee can and cook 7 minutes.
2. Add corned beef, corn, onion and milk, and cook until heated.
3. Stir in cheese. Add salt & pepper to taste.
4. Serve when cheese is melted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Box Oven

1 Brick (or flat rock)
1 pk Aluminum foil,heavy-duty
1 Corrugated cardboard box
1 Metal pie pan,old
3 Coat hangers
4 Charcoal briquets,lit or wood coals
1. Cover the inside and outside of the box completely with 3 or 4
layers of aluminum foil, including the flaps. Lay box on level ground so
that the opening opens oven-style (front-door style is OK, too).
2. Straighten the coat hangers, then run them through the sides of
the box about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom to form a rack.
3. Set brick in bottom. Place live coals into pie pan/pie plate. Put
pan on brick (don't forget, the PIE PAN IS HOT! Use an oven mitt or
hot pad).
4. Place food to be cooked onto coat-hanger rack and close oven door.
Watch carefully, checking often. Each live coal makes about 80
degrees Fahrenheit.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I prefer black beans and rice or quinoa with tortillas on the side over frozen burritos, but yeah pretty much the same thing....
... and thanks for the recipes... the ramen prepared the above way is more of a snack...I do cook it sometimes too...

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
CATTAIL recipe for my fave Mod, Ahab

Fried cattail and rice

1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 cup peeled and chopped cattail shoots
1 cup shallots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 cups cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon chili paste or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over a medium flame. Add the cattails, shallots and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cook until the rice is hot. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NDIAN CATTAIL SPOON BREAD
(Traditionally served with a spoon.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

1/2 C. butter
2 C. fresh flower buds or cattails on the cob
1/2 C. diced onions
1/2 C. diced green pepper
salt
1 C. sharp cheese
pinch of chili powder

Melt butter in skillet and add cattail buds, onions, green pepper, and salt.
Saute for 5 minutes or until tender. Pour into greased baking dish.
Sprinkle with cheese and chili powder. Bake until cheese melts. Spoon onto
plate while hot.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CATTAIL LEAF SPIKES

Scrub spikes and peel to uncover the crisp whitish-green core, usually 1
foot to 18 inches long. Slice core raw into salads or boil in salt water
about 15 minutes and serve as a vegetable with butter and salt.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

boiled cattail

* cattail roots
* water
* salt

Wash the roots. Set water to a rolling boil and
add enough salt.
Drop roots in the water and cook untill ready.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EARLY in the spring/summer, when the cattail part (the part that turns brown) is solid GREEN, you can boil, butter, and eat them like corn on the cob. I have done this MANY times as a kid. The corn wasn't even knee-high yet, but we still had fresh "corn-on-the-cob"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cattail Flour

During June the male blossoms, which are located above the female cattail bloom spike, produce quantities of bright yellow pollen. This nutritious, corn-flavored food substance is easily gathered by wading through cattail marshes and gently bending each bloom spike over a deep bowl or bucket and "dusting" the golden pollen in (thereby pollinating the plant at the same time). This gathering is best accomplished on a still, dry afternoon. Gather as much fresh pollen as you can use soon or put by. It is an important flour extender and makes a good addition to biscuit, bread, and cake batters. It should be added in an amount of replace an equal amount of flour deleted from a recipe.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Dandelion wine

DANDELION WINE (FROM MOMMY BYLER)

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,173,154185-252204,00.html
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

1 gallon dandelion blossoms
3 lb. sugar
2 lemons
2 oranges
1/2 oz. yeast
A little ginger root, if desired

Pour 1 gallon boiling water over flowers. Cover. Leave for 3 days, stir every day. Then strain into a pan, add lemons and oranges and ginger root. Boil this gently 1/2 hour. Cool. Then add yeast and leave to ferment for 3 days. Then cork lightly. Leave for 2 months, then bottle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DANDELION GREENS

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1750,154185-255205,00.html

Dandelions, washed and leaves separated
Water
Salt
Butter
Vinegar if desired

Gather fresh dandelion greens early in the spring before the blossoms open. They are very bitter if too much matured. Wash well, discarding all damaged leaves, unopened buds are alright to cook.

Cover halfway with water and cook until tender. Serve hot with butter and salt, vinegar if desired.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DANDELION FRITTERS

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,174,153187-253204,00.html

4 c. dandelion flowers snapped off at the top of stem
1 c. biscuit mix
1 c. milk
1 tbsp. sugar or honey (optional)
1/2 inch oil in skillet

UTENSILS:

Mixing bowl
Deep skillet
Paper bag or toweling for draining

Mix together the biscuit mix and milk. Dip dandelion flowers in mix one at a time and douse well with batter. Heat oil in skillet to 335 degrees F. or until it sizzles when a bit of batter is dropped into it. Drop flowers into hot oil head first. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove and drain. Serve hot or cold. Store leftovers in refrigerator for snacks. Fritters can be frozen.

P.S. This recipe works equally well with fiddlehead ferns.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dandelion Soup

* 2 qt. dandelion greens, loosely packed
* 2 qt. chicken soup (any kind)
* 1 lb. ground beef
* 1 egg
* 2 Tbsp. bread crumbs
* 2 Tbsp. minced parsley
* 1 Tbsp. minced onions
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 1/8 tsp. pepper
* dash of nutmeg
* 3 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
* 2 Tbsp. sour cream

1. Bring chicken soup to a boil.
2. Add dandelions.
3. Cook gently.
4. Rice or fine noodles can be added (1/2 cup rice or 1 cup noodles).
5. Make tiny meat balls out of remaining ingredients.
6. When greens are tender, add meatballs and cook gently 10 minutes or until meatballs are thoroughly cooked.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dandelion Greens with Sausage

* 1 gal. dandelion
* 1 lb. smoked sausage
* 3 small potatoes, cut and diced
* 2 Tbsp. rice
* 4 Tbsp. vinegar
* 1 to 1 1/2 qt. water
* 1 tsp. salt

1. Wash and cut 1 gallon dandelion greens.
2. Place in bottom of medium size pot.
3. Put 1 pound of sausage, cut in pieces, in pot.
4. Put more dandelion greens on top of sausage.
5. cut and diced potatoes and put on top of greens.
6. sprinkle 2 tablespoons of rice over potatoes.
7. Boil all 40 minutes and add 4 tablespoons of vinegar before serving.

If needed may added more water if it starts to boil dry.

new topics

top topics

join