It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin's Tail Increases in Size Could Cause Massive CME Like Event

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Looks like a comet. But it created a gravitational trough, that's not like a comet. By simple numbers it's effect will be 240 times the influence of the March alignment during the Sept. alignment.

No, I'm not kidding. This is a comet? Where is your proof?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmamaknows

Looks like a comet. But it created a gravitational trough, that's not like a comet. By simple numbers it's effect will be 240 times the influence of the March alignment during the Sept. alignment.

Please provide these numbers and an explanation of what a "gravitational trough" is exactly (I don't recall ever seeing it in any of my Physics texts).

Please, I have no problems with "simple numbers".

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

thank you for pointing out the biggest farce with the Nibiru people....the solar system is not a straight line, its very likely this object would either go above, or below the earth....

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

So have at it - what are your thoughts regarding any possible events caused by Earth passing through Elenin's debris tail/trail/comma.

Neither the coma, nor the "tail" (there can sometimes be more than one) will have any of the effects that are postulated in that article. I'm surprised, since that is (I had thought) usually a good source to link from.....maybe, they allow the same sort of fear-mongering speculation (RE: comets) as ATS does (??)

The make-up and density of the coma and any streaming matter, as affected by the Solar Wind, will still be very tenuous, and no "danger"....certainly, NOT to the level of a CME! The energies just aren't there.

The "tail", in fact, can be compared to having the density similar to thin smoke, with particle sizes that are equivalent. The one aspect of "energy" it has, is the relative velocity....its speed, compared to Earth's, and the closure rate.

Some info:

• coma - a dense cloud of water, carbon dioxide, and other gases spewed off by the evaporating nucleus as the comet nears the Sun;

• dust tail - up to 10 million km long, it is composed of smoke-sized dust particles driven off the nucleus by the escaping gases (this is the most obvious part of a comet to the naked eye);

• ion tail - up to 100 million km long, it is composed of ions that interact with the solar wind.

starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov...

• A rather technical treatise, on the environment of gases surrounding a comet:

Gas Dynamics and Kinetics in the Cometary Coma:
    Theory and Observations

Easy FAQ:

14. How does a comet change as it comes near the Sun?

When a comet has come near enough to the Sun to be affected by the Sun's radiation, the gases of which it is composed are vaporized. The comet grows tremendously in size without gaining mass, and is a vapour. The very small particles which were in the frozen gases are now free and travelling along as they were before.

15. Why does a comet's tail usually point away from the Sun?

A comet's tail is formed when the Sun's radiation and the pressure of light drive the very thin gases and very small particles that form the head of a comet away from the head. Since the force that produces the tail of a comet comes from the Sun, the tail is driven out from the side of the comet's head which is away from the Sun, and points away from the Sun.

16. How long is the tail of a comet?

There are some comets which have no tail as they passed near the Sun. As a rule, however, comets' tails are very, very long. The tail of Halley's comet was about 160 million kilometres long, longer than the distance between the Earth and the Sun. The Great comet of 1843 had a tail over 480 million kilometres in length.

www.guide-to-astronomy.narod.ru...

There were many references, also, to Halley's Comet, and the studies made during its passage in 1986. And, we suffered no ill effects......Comet Elenin is a fraction of Halley's, on scales of "impressiveness"...

A history lesson, form centuries past, regarding the odd, and irrational fear of Humans, when it comes to comets (written in the late 1990s, as the year 2001 was nearing....and, the hype about "2000" has hotting up):

Comet Hysteria and the Millennium:
    A Commentary

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:55 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Justoneman
    Well the verdict is still out on whether we're getting the whole truth about comet Elenin. I feel that we will get some major affect like Haley's comet

No, the verdict is not out at all, it is what it is.
    And like others I would really like to know what 'major affect' Halley's comet actually had, do you care to elaborate on this point?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:23 AM
    link   

you pulled this right from the youtube vids. there is no basis for any of that. either you're backing what you heard and perhaps don't understand, or you are H_A-terral03

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:28 AM
    link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Well the verdict is still out on whether we're getting the whole truth about comet Elenin. I feel that we will get some major affect like Haley's comet on one of these near misses of the three comets (I think it is). If not Elenin then one of the others. TOO many rocks seem to be flying by Earth these days giving credence to the amonous feeling that SOME of these people who appear whacked, MIGHT be onto something when they claim a big event is about to happen. All the chatter has us collectively going all directions with very little true focus. Something is affecting the Sun and the weather throughout the solar system in a way not observed before in modern civilization.

Either Velokovsky's electric universe in action or a brown dwarf companion star or something still undetermined. It matters not what is doing this. as it is obvious the Earth is going through natural changes related to a heretofore officially unacknowledged solar system wide event. What matters is how to deal with whatever it is? Or is this all HAARP stuff with photoshopped SOHO pics complicating the data for those who seek the truth? I think since I had seen evidence of warming on other planets with Saturn and Jupiter reportedly in phases never described before, I feel that it is something beyond Earth's influence driving the matter.

Cool, you start with a non-committal "the verdict is still out" and then you mention "major affect" (sic) "like Halleys Comet", what effect is that?

Then you start mentioning stuff about the Sun and weather being affected (I assume by comets), when was that?

You then mention Emmanuel Velikovsy's electric universe as if it hasn't already been debunked many times before.

And, to top it all off, you talk about HAARP stuff & SOHO images being photoshopped.

Please, stick to one idea, state your theory or belief & provide some sort of proof or support for us to evaluate.

Otherwise, it looks like some sort of stream-of-consciousness rant.

edit on 31/5/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

Oh my bad. I was trying to say that we will probable experience passing through a tail effect off of something soon as I think there are too many icy rocks floating around in near earth collision courses for my taste. As far as what Elenin is, I can't do more than carefully trust what data sources we have to this point. Utube is not one of them but I will listen to that occasional astro physics demonstration for the sheer purpose of seeking truth in all things with just enough of an open mind to keep my brains in my head. Now however, whatever the truth has been, I know in my own estimation that some of it has to have been hidden by those who are supposed to represent it. Ruining my opinion of their sincerity. As an example did anyone also notice NASA found water in SIGNIFICANT amounts on the moon during Apollo 17 mission. Why wait to tell us, so we will not want a moon base?

Water in that amount means we crack it and wa la! Hydrogen for power AND oxegon for breathing all in one source. How many years to process this hidden data and then allow the Indian Space Agency to get the bulk of the credit? To trust these people in control of the data absolutely is very dangerous to science. Like the climatologist trying to withold compromising data, NASA has a lot of control by way of the bully pulpit on what gets to the people. Those to whom are required to forfiet what is always seen as hard earned money to pay their bills. The NASA data must withstand peer and any other logical review. We appear to be getting weather affects from a source in our solar system is the message I see here being avoided by main stream science or media outlets.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:37 AM
    link   

Originally posted by pazcat

Well the verdict is still out on whether we're getting the whole truth about comet Elenin. I feel that we will get some major affect like Haley's comet

No, the verdict is not out at all, it is what it is.
    And like others I would really like to know what 'major affect' Halley's comet actually had, do you care to elaborate on this point?

I had read about earlier Halley's comet visits like 1910 having a far reaching affect to the day-to-day lives of the world and how spectacular some of the visits had been. It's left for us to just wonder about the awesome sensation it would be to see that event ourselves. I guess I hope to see something unusual and whatever we get it is exciting to me to see this whole thing unfold with the data revealed so far.
    edit on 31-5-2011 by Justoneman because: none

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:04 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Justoneman

Well, I'm not entirely sure what these effects may be and seeing as the comet has been seen at least as early as 240BC I would of imagined that there would be some kind of verifyable evidence of these effects. I guess that is the information I'm after.
    The only real things that Halley has left us with are the Eta Aquariids and the Orionids meteor showers which don't cause any hassle at all except to some satellites.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:54 AM
    link   

You show me yours first!
    In this instance, that would be proof of this gravity trough. (Along with any scientifically published data. Please back it up with professional assessments that state that this object is so unusually anonymous that it defies conventional cometary science and must be a "brown dwarf" or large cosmic turd coming precisely centered to smash earth to smithereens. --Betcha can't.....

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:58 AM
    link   
    Its the tail of comets brushing earth's atmsophere and creating red skies that are in ancient writings, myths and accounts including in the bible, during Moses's exodus. Also coinciding with the tail and red dust are earth changes, so there is probably quite a bit of impact.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:38 AM
    link   
    All this fear mongering about comets coming to kill us reminds me of that stupid movie "Night of the Comet (1984)" where, from IMDB, "Two pretty high school girls (one a cheerleader!) don't like their mother or her new boyfriend ("Daddy would have gotten us Uzis!"). One morning, they wake up to find that everybody in Los Angeles has been turned to dust by a Comet except them, a guy who looks like Erik Estrada, some zombies and the occupants of a secret underground government installation."

IMDB

Trailer here

If it really happens like in the movies I can't say I like idea of it getting less crowded after Elenin passes though killing zombies might be fun.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:25 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Bramble Iceshimmer
    All this fear mongering about comets coming to kill us reminds me of that stupid movie "Night of the Comet (1984)" where, from IMDB, "Two pretty high school girls (one a cheerleader!) don't like their mother or her new boyfriend ("Daddy would have gotten us Uzis!"). One morning, they wake up to find that everybody in Los Angeles has been turned to dust by a Comet except them, a guy who looks like Erik Estrada, some zombies and the occupants of a secret underground government installation."

IMDB

Trailer here

If it really happens like in the movies I can't say I like idea of it getting less crowded after Elenin passes though killing zombies might be fun.

LOL, "Night of the Comet", that's exactly what popped into my head when I read the OP. OMG! Here come the comet tail zombies. I forgot about the red dust, gonna have to see if that available through Netflix streaming. A good B movie if I remember correctly.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 01:40 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
    Its the tail of comets brushing earth's atmsophere and creating red skies that are in ancient writings, myths and accounts including in the bible, during Moses's exodus. Also coinciding with the tail and red dust are earth changes, so there is probably quite a bit of impact.

When we went through the tail of Halleys Comet in 1910, no red skies were observed. Read about it here

Red skies were not one of the 10 plagues on Egypt, nor are they mentioned in the book of Exodus. Read about it here and also here.

The tail of a comet is very tenuous and approximates a better vacuum than we can produce on Earth (referred to in the above links). Going through the comet's tail would not have any noticeable effect.

Posting verifiable untruths qualifies you as a NINny Troll.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:04 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington
    reply to post by Phage

His pronouncement led to panicked buying of gas masks and quack "anti-comet pills" and "anti-comet umbrellas" by the public. In reality, as other astronomers were quick to point out, the gas is so diffuse that the world suffered no ill effects from the passage through the tail.

Great Find! "Anti Comet Pills" and "Anti Comet Umbrellas" that's awesome! Maybe years from now we'll look back and see the things were doing today are just as stupid as back then.
    I can just picture someone hiding under a anti comet umbrella, it's like the nuclear scare from the cold war, when you see the flash, duck and cover, stick your head between your legs and kiss your a** goodbye.
    edit on 31-5-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:23 PM
    link   
    Here is my wild conspiracy theory about this comet.

NASA feels this comet is just a comet and not worth the tax payers money and their limited spending budget to make a huge scientific research program dedicated to it. Instead they keep an eye on it and give us what they know and spend their real money on the sun and deep space projects that could have a real impact on Earth and science in general.

I know that is wild speculation and I should be thrown in a nut farm.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:30 PM
    link   

The tail of Comet C/2010 X1 will easily exceed 100,000 km (it has been estimated that it could extend as far as 2.5 million km) but as the comet, on its closest approach to Earth will be over 21 million miles away, the tail could only reach 1/8th of the distance to the Earth at best.

The Earth simply will not pass through the tail.

Also the particles streaming from CME's from the Sun are highly ionized. The coma of a comet would, most likely be fairly inert as far as ionic charge and would be less likely to have any effect upon the Earth's environment.

But nice theory and well presented.

Julie, I stand corrected. I previously stated that the comet will never return due to its hyperbolic orbit, but this was incorrect.

The latest data does actually make it look like it is a long period comet.

It has apparently been perturbed in its path by the giant planets.

Its period seems to be about 11,600 years.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:01 AM
    link   

The tail of Comet C/2010 X1 will easily exceed 100,000 km (it has been estimated that it could extend as far as 2.5 million km) but as the comet, on its closest approach to Earth will be over 21 million miles away, the tail could only reach 1/8th of the distance to the Earth at best.

The Earth simply will not pass through the tail.

Also the particles streaming from CME's from the Sun are highly ionized. The coma of a comet would, most likely be fairly inert as far as ionic charge and would be less likely to have any effect upon the Earth's environment.

But nice theory and well presented.

Julie, I stand corrected. I previously stated that the comet will never return due to its hyperbolic orbit, but this was incorrect.

The latest data does actually make it look like it is a long period comet.

It has apparently been perturbed in its path by the giant planets.

Its period seems to be about 11,600 years.

OK I have now re-revised my position on this back to my original one, that the comet will exit our solar system and never return.

The current and latest plots of its orbit have it on a hyperbolic course. It will never return.
    edit on 2/6/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 11:36 AM
    link   
    reply to post by chr0naut

the earth will pass in the blue tail ( ion) only few million miles away from the comet on Sep 28 and on Nov 2 the earth will pass through the dust tail because the tail will expand considerably in space. it will hail rice size burning particles and the red dust too.
    the ulysses experienced temorary damage and electric disturbances even though it was 350 million miles away from the comet in its tail but the earth will be just few million miles away from the comet when its ion blue tail will engulf the earth from all sides. Haley was perpedicular to earth orbit. and this comet is the closest comet to earth in a hundred years.
    get prepared.
    all these consequences if it is just a comet.
    if it is big planet otr brown dwarf sun it will be much worse. the coma is the real size of the comet if the comet was far away (like when it was discovered in dec 2010. there should not be a coma in that far distance.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:57 PM
    link   
    Pink skies, pink clouds, pink nights and pink night time clouds have already been seen. I, too, was reminded of Exodus and the red in the water. The OP link to 'fun facts' and the cyanogen detected in Halley's tail got my attention and brought to mind the Passover.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join