It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin's Tail Increases in Size Could Cause Massive CME Like Event

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Latest image measurements of Comet Elenin's coma has exceed 100,000 km.

Why is this important to us?

A poster over at Spaceorbs has brought an interesting theory based on considerable research that I present to you for your review and debate.

This poster says that Elenin's tail is what we need to be worried about. That passing through the debris trail after Elenin has passed us poses the most threat.

A comet's ion is made of plasma, the same plasma found in solar wind. Solar wind is expelled by the sun in the form of CME's. For those who have only a passing knowledge of the subject, most people call these events solar flares, which most people now know and identify as a realistic threat to modern-day earth.

I've done extensive study on this subject. While there is no arguing the threat of dust tail exposure, I believe an equal concern is the passage through the ion tail in September. In fact, my research has convinced me that this is not only a concern but will prove to be an upcoming disaster.

Since I posted the earlier question and several of my posts seem to have been deleted I hope you don't mind my taking this opportunity to pass some information along to readers.

A comet’s ion is made of plasma, the same plasma found in solar wind. Solar wind is expelled by the sun in the form of CME’s. For those who have only a passing knowledge of the subject, most people call these events solar flares, which most people now know and identify as a realistic threat to modern-day earth.

Source

Since the Mods have chosen to not allow me to post the entire message, please go to the source to read it.

Now certainly, we have no idea who this Rebecca is or her expertise or education. In any event I felt is was a well put together thought and raised new concerns about Elenin that I haven't seen discussed.

I have posted the entire comment here (Mods please don't delete) because the poster has mentioned that her prior posts and questions had been deleted from the thread and in case this one disappears I wanted to have a record here of the full post.

So have at it - what are your thoughts regarding any possible events caused by Earth passing through Elenin's debris tail/trail/comma.

edit on Mon May 30 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on 30-5-2011 by Julie Washington because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Interesting theory, but earth will not directly pass through elenins tail, depending on how you look at the orbit diagram, in 2D it would look as if earth is going through the tail, but 3D the comet will pass above earth. depending on how large the tail is, only a small part if any will hit earth.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
thank you for bringing this info to us,.
But,. I dont believe ELEnin will be the problem.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Based on NASA's findings with the Ulysses spacecraft examination of ion tails, the size of the tail by the time it reaches perihelion will be much, much larger than what is currently observed. NASA determined that comet tails (particularly in long-period comets such as Elenin) can extend hundreds of millions of kilometers in length and thousands of kilometers in diameter. Based on this information, even if Elenin is slightly above our orbit, with the ion tail pointing away from the sun, we WILL be exposed.

Do you have evidence for this my friend?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

The tail of Comet C/2010 X1 will easily exceed 100,000 km (it has been estimated that it could extend as far as 2.5 million km) but as the comet, on its closest approach to Earth will be over 21 million miles away, the tail could only reach 1/8th of the distance to the Earth at best.

The Earth simply will not pass through the tail.

Also the particles streaming from CME's from the Sun are highly ionized. The coma of a comet would, most likely be fairly inert as far as ionic charge and would be less likely to have any effect upon the Earth's environment.

But nice theory and well presented.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Funny, the movie 'Knowing' had something about a oil rig in the Gulf coast blowing up, than it happened. The date in the movie the world was hit by a massive CME was October 19th. Anybody know how close the comet will be on that date?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

The Earth did pass through the tail of Halley's comet in 1910. The comet passed directly between the Sun and the Earth. To say that we will pass through the tail of Elenin but did not pass through the tail of Halley's makes no sense. Halley's was closer to Earth than Elenin will be. The ion tail streams directly away from the Sun, the Earth passed through it.
www.ianridpath.com...

It would like to see exactly how those photographs "prove" it did not happen.
edit on 5/30/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
"While the solid nucleus of comets is generally less than 50 km (31 mi) across, the coma may be larger than the Sun, and ion tails have been observed to extend one astronomical unit (150 million km) or more.

The observation of antitails contributed significantly to the discovery of solar wind.

The ion tail is formed as a result of the photoelectric effect[dubious – discuss] of solar ultra-violet radiation acting on particles in the coma. Once the particles have been ionized, they attain a net positive electrical charge which in turn gives rise to an "induced magnetosphere" around the comet.

The comet and its induced magnetic field form an obstacle to outward flowing solar wind particles.

As the relative orbital speed of the comet and the solar wind is supersonic, a bow shock is formed upstream of the comet, in the flow direction of the solar wind. In this bow shock, large concentrations of cometary ions (called "pick-up ions") congregate and act to "load" the solar magnetic field with plasma, such that the field lines "drape" around the comet forming the ion tail."

Source

Ulysses Catches Record for Catching Comets by Their Tails

Ulysses' first cometary tail encounter occurred in 1996. Back then, comet Hyakutake was dazzling scientists and the public alike with its noteworthy appearances in the nighttime spring sky. On May 1, 1996, while Ulysses was cruising through space studying the solar wind, its data suddenly went wild for a few hours.

"As we were not looking for comets, we did not realize the significance of the data right away," said Smith. "The solar wind seemed to almost disappear and was replaced by gases not normally found in the solar wind, and the magnetic field in the solar wind was distorted."

At the time of the unexpected encounter, Ulysses was hundreds of millions of miles from comet Hyakutake and far beyond the visible tail. As their analysis began ruling out other possibilities, the science team came to a startling conclusion - Hyakutake's tail extended more than 480 million kilometers (300 million miles, or three times the distance from Earth to the sun), making it the longest comet tail ever recorded.

The interaction between comets' tails and the solar wind has been studied for decades. A comet's ion tail always points away from the sun, whether the body is traveling toward or away from the sun along the comet's elliptical orbit. It was this finding that eventually led in 1958 to the discovery of solar wind. The magnetism and velocity of the solar wind are so strong, the effect pushes the comet's tail forward.

Source

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Halleys Comet - Some Fun Facts:

1910The 1910 approach, which came into view around 20 April, was notable for several reasons: it was the first approach of which photographs exist, and the first for which spectroscopic data were obtained.

Furthermore, the comet made a relatively close approach of 0.15AU, making it a spectacular sight. Indeed, on 18 May, the Earth actually passed through the tail of the comet.

One of the substances discovered in the tail by spectroscopic analysis was the toxic gas cyanogen, which led astronomer Camille Flammarion to claim that, when Earth passed through the tail, the gas "would impregnate the atmosphere and possibly snuff out all life on the planet."

His pronouncement led to panicked buying of gas masks and quack "anti-comet pills" and "anti-comet umbrellas" by the public. In reality, as other astronomers were quick to point out, the gas is so diffuse that the world suffered no ill effects from the passage through the tail.

Wiki

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Well the verdict is still out on whether we're getting the whole truth about comet Elenin. I feel that we will get some major affect like Haley's comet on one of these near misses of the three comets (I think it is). If not Elenin then one of the others. TOO many rocks seem to be flying by Earth these days giving credence to the amonous feeling that SOME of these people who appear whacked, MIGHT be onto something when they claim a big event is about to happen. All the chatter has us collectively going all directions with very little true focus. Something is affecting the Sun and the weather throughout the solar system in a way not observed before in modern civilization.

Either Velokovsky's electric universe in action or a brown dwarf companion star or something still undetermined. It matters not what is doing this. as it is obvious the Earth is going through natural changes related to a heretofore officially unacknowledged solar system wide event. What matters is how to deal with whatever it is? Or is this all HAARP stuff with photoshopped SOHO pics complicating the data for those who seek the truth? I think since I had seen evidence of warming on other planets with Saturn and Jupiter reportedly in phases never described before, I feel that it is something beyond Earth's influence driving the matter.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RizeorDie
Interesting theory, but earth will not directly pass through elenins tail, depending on how you look at the orbit diagram, in 2D it would look as if earth is going through the tail, but 3D the comet will pass above earth. depending on how large the tail is, only a small part if any will hit earth.

Read the article to the end, it addresses what you just wrote.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Elenin's "coma" is the size of the object itself. This is the reason behind the comet discoverer, Leonid Elenid's identity.

In case your ears are plugged, or your eyes are weepy and you can't see.

The object's "coma" size is the size of the object itself.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmamaknows

Elenin's "coma" is the size of the object itself. This is the reason behind the comet discoverer, Leonid Elenid's identity.

Where'd you get this info? Link please.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

No, it isn't. This was claimed in a previous post and roundly disproved.

I can only assume you are another NINny Troll.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The Earth did pass through the tail of Halley's comet in 1910. The comet passed directly between the Sun and the Earth. To say that we will pass through the tail of Elenin but did not pass through the tail of Halley's makes no sense. Halley's was closer to Earth than Elenin will be. The ion tail streams directly away from the Sun, the Earth passed through it.
www.ianridpath.com...

It would like to see exactly how those photographs "prove" it did not happen.

Well, Phage, what the hell are you talking about. Time to go back and take those first baby steps toward understanding.

The sky object's size is the size of the reported "comet's" coma.

That's the whole reason for "Leonid Elenin", to sell the object as a comet.

You will see it soon enough. Couple of months. No really! extra DIV

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

edit on 30-5-2011 by yourmamaknows because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2011 by yourmamaknows because: my post was very rude and disrespectful

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

No, it isn't. This was claimed in a previous post and roundly disproved.

I can only assume you are another NINny Troll.

Well, I'm glad you were here to set me straight. I guess I learned my business!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

In a twisted way it's going to be fun seeing all the punks screaming and cursing God.

This is the bad side of me. Should help others.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

So if the object looks like a comet, has an orbit like a long-period comet and has a tail like a comet, can we suppose that it is a comet and not some stupidly contrieved "brown dwarf" deatj star coming to annihilate us all?

That little problem out of the way, can we have a decent scientific explanation for why the tail of this comet is going to be just so disasterous to humans and our globe? I assume that you have researched comet tails and have found that they don't seem to be much of anything once you get into one and that the earth has passed through the tail and light debris of some in the past?. They are highly ratified, you knnow, despite what they look like from a distance. They are actually far less dense than light smoke and more resemble plain ol' atmospheric air than a swath of killer gas coming in to wipe up out.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens...or doesn't happen.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justoneman
Well the verdict is still out on whether we're getting the whole truth about comet Elenin. I feel that we will get some major affect like Haley's comet on one of these near misses of the three comets (I think it is). If not Elenin then one of the others. TOO many rocks seem to be flying by Earth these days giving credence to the amonous feeling that SOME of these people who appear whacked, MIGHT be onto something when they claim a big event is about to happen. All the chatter has us collectively going all directions with very little true focus. Something is affecting the Sun and the weather throughout the solar system in a way not observed before in modern civilization.

Either Velokovsky's electric universe in action or a brown dwarf companion star or something still undetermined. It matters not what is doing this. as it is obvious the Earth is going through natural changes related to a heretofore officially unacknowledged solar system wide event. What matters is how to deal with whatever it is? Or is this all HAARP stuff with photoshopped SOHO pics complicating the data for those who seek the truth? I think since I had seen evidence of warming on other planets with Saturn and Jupiter reportedly in phases never described before, I feel that it is something beyond Earth's influence driving the matter.

Cool, you start with a non-committal "the verdict is still out" and then you mention "major affect" (sic) "like Halleys Comet", what effect is that?

Then you start mentioning stuff about the Sun and weather being affected (I assume by comets), when was that?

You then mention Emmanuel Velikovsy's electric universe as if it hasn't already been debunked many times before.

And, to top it all off, you talk about HAARP stuff & SOHO images being photoshopped.

Please, stick to one idea, state your theory or belief & provide some sort of proof or support for us to evaluate.

Otherwise, it looks like some sort of stream-of-consciousness rant.

edit on 31/5/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join