It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christchurch Counciller announces potential for another 6 to 7 Magnitude within next 12 months

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Announced on Sue Wells blog - 28th May 2011

It’s now thought that we are looking at a longer term seismic series. (The latest guess is apparently that we have a 23% chance within the next year of a shake between 6 and 7 on the Richter scale, and dropping to 10% over the next 2 years. There is a chance of over 90% that we will have another shake between 5 and 6 in the next twelve months, dropping to over 70% in that two year horizon. Nobody was able to answer questions about Mercalli scale or g-force or depth so you can take those figures for what they’re worth. What we are seemingly certain of is that you shouldn’t put your blu-tac away just yet.)

Source

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
HAARP gonna cause it ?

Maybe I'm "confuzzled" here.......

edit on Mon May 30 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: deleted in error

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Further to this:

One focus for researchers over the past month has been the aftershock-rich "gap" between the eastern end of the Greendale Fault and the western end of the Port Hills Fault.

Scientists want to know what is going on between the two, with some concerned that any faults in the gap may rupture and link the two bigger faults.

Source: Stuff News

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Lord have mercy! I mean, normally I wouldn't have said HAARP but it does make you wonder...
Maybe I'm batsh!+ crazy or something is wrong here.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Hard to say, just as likely to be caused by the CERN LHC

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
edit on 30-5-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
One thing about this news report is that it was splashed across our TV screens during breakfast (Ticker tape):

ONE IN FOUR CHANCE OF MAJOR EARTHQUAKE IN CANTERBURY DURING NEW 12 MONTHS

Personally I think the public here could do without this sort of news (predictions) being broadcast by mainstream media. It was only a few months ago that they were attacking the Moon Man (Ken Ring), calling him a scaremonger. Pot calling the kettle black?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pplrnuts

SERIOUSLY?

Christchchurch is a CITY.

This information is taken from GEONET scientist, similar to the American USGS.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1

SERIOUSLY?

Christchchurch is a CITY.

This information is taken from GEONET scientist, similar to the American USGS.

LOL!!! Opps, my fingers started typing before my brain started to think on that one.

Idiot = me for sure here...

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Who couldn't predict a 6-7 earthquake in the next 12 months. Average yearly number is 134. Even if a quake struck somewhere one has already occured is to be expected. Unlike lightening they do tend to occur in the same place.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Lately,. a 6. or a 7. would not be all that alarming,.
So to say this is to be predicted is like saying when a storm is coming it might rain..

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Must remember to put brain in gear before fingers let fly!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

Hi Redrose, true but when you've lived in an area that for hundreds of years has hardly known an earthquake, and has now suffered two major ones (plus several thousand aftershocks), causing major loss of life and the destruction of a large part of the city, the last thing you want rolling across the bottom of your TV screen, is an announcement about MORE large size quakes!

My 8 & 10 year old saw that information this morning, and after many months of trying to calm them down, I've lost an awful lot of ground

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Our 6.3 on Feb 22nd killed over 180 people, injured hundreds, traumatized thousands...if you lived thru something like this, I'm sure that you'd revise your statement.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
If there's anybody I trust on seismic data and predictions involving earthquakes, it's a councilor for the 'Christchurch'. When I want honest, legitimate earthquake predictions, I don't consult my local seismologist, I just hit up some church staff,

"Yo pastor, when does God plan to bring on some earthquakes?"

"Uh, next year, October...October 27th. Yeah, that's right, the Lord spoke to me and it's a magnitude 6.5 I tell ya"

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Then as I said anyone can predict an earthquake. Why is the church scaring people about another possible one. Like you said that is the last thing anyone wants to hear. One would think the church would be trying to console not scare.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Oh man...

You & TuPac must have missed the post where I explained that CHRISTCHURCH is a CITY?

It's not someone from a 'church' predicting things. She is repeating SCIENTIFIC information passed on to her and other Councillors etc, at one of the recent rebuild Christchurch meetings.

edit on 30-5-2011 by SpaceJockey1 because: Adding TuPac to the response

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Must remember to put brain in gear before fingers let fly!

Yes, you are correct!!!

Brain before fingers.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Hi Redrose, true but when you've lived in an area that for hundreds of years has hardly known an earthquake, and has now suffered two major ones (plus several thousand aftershocks), causing major loss of life and the destruction of a large part of the city, the last thing you want rolling across the bottom of your TV screen, is an announcement about MORE large size quakes!

ChCh/Canterbury Earthquakes

5 June 1869: Earthquake in early Christchurch

On 5 June 1869, Christchurch settlers were shaken by an earthquake centred beneath the city, possibly around Addington or Spreydon. The earthquake was probably shallow, with a magnitude of about 5.8. There was damage to stone buildings and the spire of St John’s Church on Latimer Square, and many fallen chimneys. The quake may have caused some ground settlement in the Heathcote Estuary, as locals describe the tide as running higher up the Heathcote River afterward.

There have been earthquakes here before.

Also, IGNS wasn't predicting, it was using a probability index which is far different from Ken Ring's methods. It's difficult when people rely on the newspapers for information such as this rather than go directly to source. IGNS and Geonet are excellent sources and they even have a Facebook page where the 'general riffraff' can ask questions.

There is no information available to the general public yet regarding the recent seismic survey and even my work colleagues who were involved are not allowed to say anything until the official announcement. We are going to be briefed by one of the key seismologists however and I will share more information once I know of it.

I will say that it wasn't HAARP or CERN. It was a natural event and the previous link shows precedents, including (as per the quote) an earthquake beneath Christchurch City.
It's surprising how many times the Cathedral spire has been rebuilt!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Also, here is a link from Geonet regarding their forecasting:

Geonet: Shaken not stirred

Probabilities are calculated using a background of geological and earthquake information and all of the earthquakes that GeoNet records are looked at. For each event the probability that it will be followed by an earthquake large enough to cause strong shaking is calculated from the known behavior of aftershocks. The shaking that would be produced by such an earthquake is then predicted from the known relations between earthquake size and shaking patterns. The likelihood of that shaking is then added to the background probability on the map.

There's more too. It's a good read and better than a stuff.co.nz article.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join