It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Conjecture on What Dreams Are!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Well thought out and I have similar experiences. Where it just seems too good to just be imagination. Well whether this is realities crossing eachother, or simply the power of the mind (to create amazingly accurate hallucinations, and guess at what others would be thinking and dreaming about). At some point it does not matter - because if it's just the mind then it's practically supernatural in itself. If the muscle is supernatural then well, that's supernatural and you are only trying to explain what is supernatural and not whether or not it is.

Some examples off the top of my head that go along with your ideas, I'm sure I could come up with more: The few people that I know recall their dreams well, I dream about them more than others. Even if they aren't that great of friends or people I've known a long time. Some of these know I'm into dreaming, some don't.

I usually try to be the good guy in my dreams, using my powers to make a positive outcome, cheating the story along towards a good conclusion, and well, justice. The one time a relative of mine had a dream of me, he told me the next day on the phone that in this dream there was a train wreck and I was going in and out of the train saving people's lives. (it's just not common to make heros of others in dreams, it does happen yes but randomness and lack of meaning usually wins the day, and he has no reason to think I'm that way personality wise)

I just had a dream about a guy I really look up to. He is crazy and brilliant all in one. In this dream he led me and 3 others on a crazy adventure in my hometown - it is one of the funniest I've had in a while. It may be the first dream I've had of him even though I've known him 4 years. The mind just creates these similarities. In the dream I know I'm not judging people, in non-lucids I'm hardly aware. There is zilch concious processing when it comes to figuring out other's behaviors/personalities, and the mind almost always shocks me at how well it does this.

I think the mind can do amazing things when guessing others personalities, because all of our minds operate on heuristics and rules of thumb. That whole, "So simple it's amazing." theme that just permeates everything in life and our minds.
edit on 30-5-2011 by Novise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

I believe that you have studied dreams and this theory that you've put together comes from extensive analysis of your data.

I, too, have been studying dreams and thinking about them a lot. While I am open minded to the fact that you can control your dreams by shifting focuses, i do not entirely agree that they are just a chain of archetypes stemmed from an initial seed.

I've had plenty of dreams where my dream was completely unlike anything i was thinking about during the day and i've seen things that i've never seen before or dreamt of people i've met later on in my life. I've had experiences where someone and I would have a similar dream, seeing each other in the dream and experiencing the same atmosphere.

To me, those coincidences are just too great to merely be archetypes of the subconscious and point to a greater interconnection of the self and the infinite continuum of this universe.

Like I said, I've yet to completely verify my theory and I'm open to being wrong. But admit it...if my theory was correct, or at least part of it was correct with the interconnection of peers, think of the implications?

I've been practicing some lucid dreaming... to some failure, but i'm still able to remember my dreams. I still need to talk to some people that i've saw while i was dreaming.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ptenjakin

OK, I'll admit there may be outside influences from time to time, but they still present themselves in archetypal form. I've had more than my share of shared dreams, confirmed with other individuals. And when comparing dreams, there are differences that are still the same on an archetypal level. THe level of interference or pollution from other dreamers in a shared dream is difficult to ascertain, but in the end it still comes down to everything requires your attention to exist.

I'll give a recent account of someone I know who had an OBE type dream where he was in a local restaurant. In the dream he saw a sculpture of a whaling scene. When he went down to that restaurant, there was no sculpture, but there was instead a painting of a whaling scene. Different, but both the same on an archetypal level, both pieces of art.

Nor do I discount the possibility of non-human entities that can be encountered in dreams, but these too get filtered through our own personal archetypes. THe same entity may appear as an angel to a religious person, or as an alien to a UFO buff. You just can't take anything you encounter in dreams at face value, and have to understand that they are all filtered through your own personal archetypes.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join