It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N.-Backed Summit Seeks ‘Social Justice’ for African Descendants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Here they are again demanding reparations If already posted, delete.
Source

Now I'll be the first one to say that slavery in all forms is unacceptable. but i still have certain opinions.

1.Some people just don't get it. They were slaves when they were fed, housed and clothed.
Now they get those same benefits from the government instead of a slave-owner and they are slaves still.
They must live where the government says, eats what the government says, learn what the government says, work where the government says and they still don't get it.

2.Will this commission look at the history of oppression in Africa before the tribes began exporting Africans? Will they look at current descendants that are being enslaved by Muslims in Du-far, Ethiopia and the Sudan? Will they look at the 700,000 Africans that were 'hacked' to death in Rwanda? Will they look at the political ideology that promotes 'discrimination'. Will they call the 'clan' in for their take on this? In a word.....no.

3.We can correct this injustice by sending them where they would be living if their ancestors had never been brought here. After Katrina, Ghana issued a call for all it's wayward children to return, they would be given land and assistance and a big welcome. I don't recall any big response. Funny- you would think that they would jump at an opportunity to escape Mean Ol' Whitey and his "racism".

Sigh. I'm just getting tired of being told that I did Something bad to people who died a long time ago and that i should pay for it now.
edit on 30-5-2011 by Kingbreaker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingbreaker

According to some scientific theories, we are all African descendants. Does that mean I can get some reparations?
Seriously though, people need to get over the past. I'm of Native American and German descent, and I don't go around complaining about what "The White Man" did to my ancestors... I'm actually rather tired of the racism that is allowed to be spewed by black people all over the airwaves, targeting every white person, saying that we are all somehow responsible for what was done to their progenitors. None of my ancestors held slaves, several of them were slaves, and yet even when I explain this to people, it doesn't change the fact that they think that all "white people" owe them something.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingbreaker

Lol let um have it hell this country is going down the tubes anyway I'm thinking of moving! Even if they get this it still wont stop them from thinking they are victims it will only make them complain more until they destroy this country and even then they will blame it on the white man. It's sad all the bleeding heart liberals have killed America and replaced it with a welfare country and it will be all fun and games until the money stops coming and it turns into a 3rd world country.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
another money grab....and thats all it is...

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Yeah but you got to remember the money grabber in chief is sat in the white house hoovering up the moniez!

Where do we stop? is Saudi arabia going to give money to the Cornish for all the white people taken into slavery? Or what about neanderthal descendants suing cromagnion for cash?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Astr0

Ilike that Neanderthal part....poor ole things...lets give THEM some money too...maybe get a Chicago neighborhood orgainizer and a commie "professor" to rep for them

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This is just another ploy to tick white people off and keep the races at each other's throats.

Most present Americans' ancestors were not even here during the times of slavery.
Millions came from Europe in the late 1800's. Mine came in the 1890's.
We who can show that our ancestors were not even here should not have to pay,
and all those who lived in Northern states where there was not slavery should also be exempt.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Where the hell does anybody get the right to punish the descendants of someone who committed a crime by making them pay reparations?
I think I'm going to go sue Walmart because my dead grandfather once slipped in one of their stores years ago.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
What if the scottish demanded reparation for being transported to the North America and Australia during the scottish clearances.

Or the Jewish people in Israel demanded reparations from Germany for Hitlers actions

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
This is just another ploy to tick white people off and keep the races at each other's throats.

Most present Americans' ancestors were not even here during the times of slavery.
Millions came from Europe in the late 1800's. Mine came in the 1890's.
We who can show that our ancestors were not even here should not have to pay,
and all those who lived in Northern states where there was not slavery should also be exempt.

The easiest solution would be to just tax Anglo Americans. Anglo's in the south where behind slavery/segregation directly, it is their hands that are red. Anglo's in the North where cowards who greatly profited off of slavery.

While the German American(smartest ethnicity in America, because back then they where smart enough to stay the heck away from Anglo Americans period) community was directly responsible for ending slavery in America and endured well over 300-400 years of persecution, oppression and attempts of genocide in America(from Colonial time to Present Time).

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Well after hundreds of years of institutional discrimination, intimidation and de-humanisation who can blame them for wanting reparations? If I was one of the descendents of the slaves brought to America I'd be demanding some sort of pay back as well,

It's strange how you're all quick to forget that just a generation ago it was still illegal for a black man to use the same water fountain or sit at the same table as a white man...........

I'm not saying people should be given reperations nowadays but their anger is entirely justified given the history of oppression and discrimination faced by African-Americans.
edit on 30-5-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

To Hell with that! All payments to PC CRAP like this need to stop!

Who sold the African slaves to the white man to begin with? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Besides, you can't hold me accountable for my great great grandfather being racist.

Enough with sucking our money dry.
edit on 30-5-2011 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

West Germany did pay reparations since 1952, both to Israel and individual holocaust survivors.
www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...
In fact, last I heard some of the legal people involved in compensation to Jews from Swiss Banks are now working on a case to sue multinational companies involved with apartheid for reparations.

The problem with African slavery is that so many different people were involved (including Africans themselves), and it will raise some seriously politically incorrect questions about the involvement of the Islamic world in slavery.
That is a can of worms nobody really wants to open at present.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
What if the scottish demanded reparation for being transported to the North America and Australia during the scottish clearances.

Or the Jewish people in Israel demanded reparations from Germany for Hitlers actions

Since the ending of the Second World War, Germany has paid out over 61* billion dollars.

www.ihr.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

* That figures looks at the Dollar value comparison with the German Mark in 1998. So in today's money when adjusted for inflation would be the equivalent of 120+ billion dollars.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
According to our genealogical research the first of our family to "immigrate" to America did so as an indentured servant - he was a white man; however, as am I so I guess it was all his fault. Add that to the Cherokee Great Grandmother and I should be all kinds of rich from the man's reparations.

Or...

I guess as the son of two people who never graduated High School, never owned a home or made more than 30k a year between them; I could just work hard, attend night classes finish college while serving full time in the Army while fighting in multiple conflicts and deployments.

Then I could go to OCS; I could save and invest and delay procreation until my mid thirties so I could retire and own my own farm and break the cycle of poverty through hard work and effort. But I guess victimhood was not one of my options...

All white people owe those of African decent because we have life by the short hairs I guess. Yep – I tripped over the silver spoon on my way to financial security, it was the only real hurdle.

My advice to the recently oppressed - stop feeling sorry for yourself and work hard, stop making kids you can't afford, get off drugs and stay in school a lot more options will open up for you.

As for the United Nations - how bout we cancel our subscription to save a few bucks; what a waste of money. The UN, an organization that only serves one purpose – to feed its own existence.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I'm an anglo in the south and I happen to know through genealogy searchers that my family NEVER owned slaves.

So am I guilty because I'm white?
Isn't that sorta like saying someone is stupid because they are black?
Racism goes both ways and I'm just so sick of it.

Craziest thing I heard lately was out of Birmingham - Oh look at all those black folks in line for food stamps! (Because of the tornado.) It's always the black folks lining up for a handout!

If they'd looked at the ROME newspaper with the ROME lines, they would have seen a similar LONG line with just white folks.

Tornadoes are NOT racist. They hit where they hit - if it is in a primarily predominant BLACK neighborhood, that's who will need assistance. If they hit in a predominately WHITE neighborhood, it's going to be whites who don't have homes or food.

Why can't people just be people? Just everyone ACT like decent folk no matter what your color and let racism die.

new topics

top topics

join