It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates, looking into putting military pay cuts on the table

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Yes, Mr. Gates needs to reduce 400 billion dollars from the military and what better way to cut than increasing tricare premiums and deductibles, while cutting on the military pays.

They figure out that with 9% unemployment recruiters will not mind becoming soldiers in our volunteer Army with less money and benefits.

I guess when it comes to cuts, suffer the nation first while the rich benefits the best, after all nobody bailouts the military but the wealthiest in the nation do and with congress approval.

Get ready people in the services been a hero will be a littler bit cheaper this time next year.

Gates Puts Pay Cuts on the Table

Under pres­sure to reduce the DoD bud­get, Defense Sec­re­tary Robert Gates has – until recently – avoided ask­ing for a reduc­tion in mil­i­tary pay and ben­e­fits. How­ever, the Wall Street Jour­nal has reported that increas­ing pres­sure on law­mak­ers to make big­ger cuts in the fed­eral deficit has con­vinced defense bud­get plan­ners that Con­gress is will­ing to look at cut­ting mil­i­tary com­pen­sa­tion.

How­ever, pres­sure from the White House to make $400B in cuts may have forced Gates’ hand. In fact, Sec. Gates reently floated the idea that reduc­ing mil­i­tary com­pen­sa­tion may not be a bad idea. Gates told a group that reduc­ing mil­i­tary pay wouldn’t neg­a­tively impact recruit­ing

Read more: militaryadvantage.military.com...
MilitaryAdvantage.Military.com

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
You know, as a veteran, I can tell you this SUCKS!
When I was in the military in the 90's, we had lower enlisted soldiers using FOOD STAMPS to feed their families, the pay is already low enough, leave it alone!

Military Pay Scale
edit on 5/30/2011 by HomerinNC because: added pay chart

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Wouldn't this make it the first Defense Budget cut since .... for ever ?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

My husband is a retire marine and he is also disgusted by this, first the wealthiest in the nation and abroad get their money back after losing it to bad investments with our tax payer money in the name of bailouts, that counted for trillions of dollars that many never has gotten to pay back like from Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac, but when it comes to cutting not only they cut on those that are the ones supporting the filthy rich but the now the government wants to cut into those that are serving and defending our way of life.

Then you figure that the whole thing about serving the nation and protecting our way of life most mean crap to those that hold this nation's power.

Everything is preserving the wealth of the wealthiest and screw the regular tax payer Joe.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WordPlayJAy

This comes as a surprise actually because the last thing that went over the hill was the DOD facing a freeze due to lack of funds a few weeks ago, then they passed an emergency budget to keep them working, now the government needs to cut billions to keep the DOD working in the civilian sector at the expenses of the military personnel.

We already got the increase in Tricare and humana so much for free health care for life.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
If there are 100K total troops deployed.. and..

they are each receiving $225 per month in combat pay...

BRING THEM HOME.. and you have just sliced...

22.5 Million Dollars a Month... of the Defense dept budget..

Add in the cost of transporting all of the ammunition, food, equipment to those deployed and you can see the numbers adding up nicely..

without touching their current pay and deserved compensations...

just sayin...

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Currently serving in the Air Force...Im sick and tired of hearing this #.
Honestly they might as well do it because its getting freakin ridiculous having to worry about our pay all the time.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I know you are right!
The thing that kills me is they put these boys to work at a company field office, they bleed and die and now they want to cut their pay too!!
The king must be careful as we know what a standing army does, especially when they are not paid what is owed to them.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

But . . . they would not, why? because our defense budget majority of funds goes to pay for the private sector that has gotten like a big blood sucking monster at the expenses of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, this money gravy train can not be stop, this is what happen when the private sector budget is bigger than the military when it comes to the military defense budget.

Rather they will sacrifice the Military sector over the private one.

So the war most keep on going, but our service men and women will die for less.

Just disgusting.

And that doesn't end there Panetta is going to take over Gates and for what I read he have not problem scarifying the military for the private sector

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Either cut the troop levels or cut their pay, this is a day of reckoning that is about one or two decades overdue. Defense spending took down the soviet empire and it's the largest expenditure by the US government now, it's the number one "entitlement program" out there.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I posted a link from my memorial day thread to here...

The parts of the budget that need cutting on the military side are ridiculous... every cut can be done with proper leadership....

Start with every four star with under three years combat experience.... cut there pay...

when they complain loudly nail them for insubordination... it will take them till they are in the enlisted ranks to realise what happened...

On a serious note...

The very first place to hit is the pentagon and the purchasing office...not the pay of the very men your going to need to put your stupid policies in place...

(yes gates should be completely relieved and put in the brig for dereliction of duty... make sure the army officer who is wanting to cut the navy marine core personnel budget is gaurded by marines... 'sorry about that sir the brig rolled')

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

Gates is going out, he is to be replaced by Panetta, I think he is leaving so he doesn't have to deal with the 400B death line in defense budget cuts, but what it makes not sense to me of the whole thing is that why are we still in Iraq and Afghanistan, we can easily cut billions more on the maintenance for the troops oversea if we stop the waste and mismanagement of having to give more than half of the defense budget to private sector for operations oversea.

edit on 30-5-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Either cut the troop levels or cut their pay, this is a day of reckoning that is about one or two decades overdue. Defense spending took down the soviet empire and it's the largest expenditure by the US government now, it's the number one "entitlement program" out there.

Where is this knowledge coming from?
We CANT afford any cutting period!
My job is so minimally manned that I'm working 84 hours a week with the same pay...and deploying with every branch.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

You're right.. it's all about making $$$ for others...

to put it in perspective.. from the 2010 budget figures

Total Spending $685.1 billion +3.0%

Military Personnel $154.2 billion

the cost of...

Operations and maintenance $283.3 billion, Procurement $140.1 billion, Research, Development, Testing & Evaluation $79.1 billion ..

TOTALED $502.5 Billion

So is that around 73.3% of Def Dept funds dished out to outside contracts?

only 22.5% to the pay of the troops?

Looks like the focus on cutting costs should be on the 73%

Forgot to add, that some of the funds in the 73.3% do probably go towards the feeding and clothing of the troops, I believe the 22.5% is strictly the amount paid to the troops..

It does cost quite a bit to take care of our volunteer force, I still think that the CUTS desired by the Def Dept can be found without more sacrifices on the troops' part...

edit on Mon, 30 May 2011 17:10:00 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: clarity

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
You know, as a veteran, I can tell you this SUCKS!
When I was in the military in the 90's, we had lower enlisted soldiers using FOOD STAMPS to feed their families, the pay is already low enough, leave it alone!

Military Pay Scale
edit on 5/30/2011 by HomerinNC because: added pay chart

I trust they will take make those pay cuts to the top officers that never get out of their chairs and not to the grunts that eat sand.

They better be careful where the cuts are made. A government always wants to keep their military happy.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Yes, thanks to our friend Rumsfeld he made sure that our military became everything private but the soldiers itself, see if soldiers became privatized they would have to pay them more, so keeping them in the government grab the pay was control.

The private mercenaries for hire get better pay than our soldiers in the field and they have the choice to hide behind the them.

What a joke.

This is the state of our nation as it stands today, when we most sacrifice our military for the private sector.

People doesn't understand how it works, when it says that our military budget is the biggest they should correct themselves and say that "the military private sector is the biggest money sucking monster of all.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

it's the number one "entitlement program" out there.

DUDE, ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?

I disagree with war and U.S. foreign policy but cutting soldiers pay ! How about all elected officials taking a 50% cut in pay , and no more expense accounts or free travel benefits on tax payers dime !
edit on 30-5-2011 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Halliburton accused of $1bn overcharge

www.theage.com.au...

There's your trouble

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

Yes, I'm dead serious, the defense budget is by far the most bloated "entitlement" program we have designed to reward fat contracts to those in the military industrial loop. We continue to foster a never-ending need for war while maintaining 700 bases overseas (737 at last count). Something has to give - cut the troop levels and scale back the military. All you have to do is look at the Soviets to see the precipice we are standing on.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Like so many topics on ATS a broad statement is NOT the answer. This , like many subjects here IS NOT as simple as black or white. Yes, the defense budget needs to be cut. No, the U.S. does not need bases all over the world. No, U.S. mercenary forces should not be funded or supplyed with tax dollars.. No , U.S. forces should not supply support or protection to any profitiers . Our military personel should get the best gear ASAP and the best pay and benefits.

I need to stop now before I get banned.

edit on 31-5-2011 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join