It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Two Arrested from Albany, NY Mosque

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Two men who had ties to a mosque in Albany, NY were arrested after they attempted to acquire a shoulder fired missile. FBI agents arrested the two men in an undercover sting operation Wednesday night. The individuals were trying to purchase a missile launcher for an undercover agent they thought was a terrorist. One of the men had also recently purchased a plane ticket. The FBI refused to comment further on the situation at the time of the arrest.

Reuters - Two Men Arrested from Albany Mosque
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two men suspected of being involved with an al Qaeda affiliate were arrested in Albany, New York, on Thursday in a scheme to launder money to buy a shoulder-fired missile, U.S. law enforcement sources said.
The sources said the arrests on Thursday night were unrelated to the raising of the terror threat level over the weekend on intelligence that al Qaeda was targeting financial centers in the United States.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The two men are said to have ties to Ansar al-Islam which is know to be tied to the al-Qaeda organization. One of them is a U.S. citizen, but information on the other's origin is unknown at this time. This is thought to be unrelated to the terror threat level being raised in NY earlier this week. The mosque was still closed this morning.

Additional Sources
CNN - Two arrested in missile sting operation

[edit on 5-8-2004 by dbates]

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
This its funny, where they were going to do buy the launchers in wall mart.?

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
"This its funny, where they were going to do buy the launchers in wall mart.?
"

Funny? What do you find funny about it? And what's this about them trying to buy it at someplace like wall mart? I fail to find any humour in this incident.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Well then answer me where they were going to buy the launcers obviously you may know, becasue to my knowleage you just don't go around getting this things in the local supermarket.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
hitting a little closer to home now....

now it's a missle....the last report I heard was a missle laucher???

maybe it was both?

ya know, we are spending all this money anyways...and are so far into debt it's rediculous...would it really hurt if they actually invested some money into securing our borders more, and blocking some of these nuts from coming in to begin with...or is this a bait and trap scheme....ya, you can come in...but ya ain't getting out!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well then answer me where they were going to buy the launcers obviously you may know, becasue to my knowleage you just don't go around getting this things in the local supermarket.

some greedy corporate executive working for the producer who needs just a little extra money to afford that year long vacation to Bermuda???

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
dawnstar,

You are right I just posted the same question in another thread, if the Al-queda is out of funds,(not that this men were link to them yet) and eradicated to me it seems that they are very much well alive and financially stable.
Oh!!! We forgot they are getting their money from Bush personal friends the Sauds of Saudi Arabia.
f them.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Marg...

There are lots of these 'Stinger-type' launchers floating around the world. Some of US but most of Soviet manufacture. They are relatively easy to acquire in certain parts of the world and can be smuggled into the US via Canada or Mexico. They're not very large. The most common types are disposible units (that is, not reloadable) that are the missle/launcher combination.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Well I see the conection now, but it's still dificult to find this type of weapons around and usually underground as to speak
But how do the authorities know the money to be laudered was for buying missiles it could have been drung money.?

[edit on 5-8-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Well you see my friends, the United States and her allies are at war. Our enemy had declared war against us quite some years ago. We have returned the favor as recently as the year 2002. These incidents likely occur with regularity. Do you think the fact that the enemy wishes to destroy the United States is a fabrication? This is precisely why we invaded Iraq, to provide a theatre for this war in the heart of the enemies territory, rather than in the United States, which is where the enemy wishes it to be. Are all Arabs bad people? NO, by no means. All muslims bad? NO, I don't think that either. Does Arab militancy, and a significant proportion of the enemy, breed in Arabia, yes, yes indeed, that is why we are there.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The bastards remind me of fleas on a dog. The only way you rid the dog of fleas is dip him. This is what needs to be done with the majority of Muslims in our country and Canada.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Marge I am not sure what you mean by where do you get these things walmart, PS I,m in Albany and not very happy to hear about this. I moved from NYC a month after 9/11

I am not sure if you read the article, but it was an FBI Sting operation. They do this to drug dealers and Arms dealers all the time. The pose as people who can get things and bust them when they purchase. A Should Strap Missile isnt as hard to come by (at least it was not a few years ago) as you may think, Just ask all the Militia groups in the woods in Michigan.

Here is the local news here
www.timesunion.com.../5/2004

Profile of the guy

www.timesunion.com...

[edit on 5-8-2004 by ShiftTrio]

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
ShiftTrio,

We have open borders you know and anything can come into this country with not problem and the goverment has been warned about this things but not body seems to care.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I havent seen them state what type of missile it is yet but I assuming its a stinger misslie.

These things could do quite a number on a 747. And you dont have to be a genius to use these things. Just point it at what you want to shoot wait for tone and pull the trigger.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Well this story has just made the british news, nice to see that the FBI arn't compelety useless.

Bet these guy had the shock of their's lives when they were stung, go's to prove that al quedia are active and planning, but for everyone one you catch there's 5 more waiting in the shadows to strike.

I argee that if it was a stinger missle, then that could do alot of damage to a 747, take out the wing or tail and watch it fall to the earth in a blaze of fire.

As Homeland security and the fbi state, and the British police, it not's a case of if they strike again, more of a case of when.

Osama is not a stupid man, he is oxford educated, and the whole point of a terriost attack to make the biggest impact possible, 9/11 raised the bar for al quedia, next it will be bigger and deadlier.

i for one hope and pray that it's only a convential attack, not something like a bio attack or chemical, or god forbid a nuke.

[edit on 6-8-2004 by jayjay2910]

top topics

join