It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The only way to truly silence a messenger is to worship the messenger

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
An odd thought occurred to me. What would it be like to visualize the iota interplay between messengers and those who receive the messages?

By messengers I am talking about people whose thoughts, ideas and actions not just changed the course of history. But they also showed us a different path then the one we are on now; prophet's, messiah's and visionaries.

Imagine the iota of a messenger is a two sided sword* leaning against a wall. You look at the sword and something about it rings true. Now imagine you walk over to the sword and pick it up to hold as your own.

But it is a sword with which you have to balance one end with the palms of your hands. So the question is which end do you balance it with?

Do you take the handle so that you can raise the iota up high, and also so as to not risk harm to yourself? Or do you walk the line, and keep the iota true by balancing the iota with the care of your palms?

Now imagine that the source iota is floating above the heart of the messenger. But also imagine that which ever way you hold the iota yourself, the iota above the messengers heart is reversed.

*(don't impose any Freudian slip war nonsense and take the sword metaphor for what it is)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Dude your post sounds unbelievably profound and wise!!!!!

I dont mean to be cheeky but can you explain what it means

edit on 30-5-2011 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I would take the iota and balance it carefully so as not to put it in a position where it could be taken out of context.

It's funny, but I just got done watching a 60 minutes interview with Bob Dylan from 2006, and in it he mentioned that while the general public in the '60's saw him as some sort of messenger of wisdom or spokesman for a generation because of the songs he wrote, he didn't see himself that way at all. According to Bob Dylan, Bob Dylan was simply a singer and a songwriter. That's it.

So remember, while you may think you are seeing a sword leaning up against the wall, it might in fact just be a butter knife that you wish was a sword

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Dude your post sounds unbelievably profound and wise!!!!!

I dont mean to be cheeky but can you explain what it means

edit on 30-5-2011 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

Ok, to make a long story short, if you idolize the messenger over the message what exists? Does the messenger exist or the message?

Neither really. What your idolizing is nothing more then a husk, a shadowy shell of something else. And the message? It is dead, for all intensive purposes the iota that the messenger tried to spread no longer exists in the world anymore.

But saying it like that misses the depth of the iota behind this "topic". Because what happens if a person is scared and they are already balancing the "sword" with the handle end?

They will just end up gripping it and using it as an excuse to hurt others. Or they could end up becoming foolish thinking they are ever so safe and drop it. It could land on their foot or fall and hurt another. It will all be accidental of course.

Even though it can be dangerous to balance the iota with the palms of your hands, but you are actually keeping the iota safe(the messengers heart is actually a representation of the original iota). That is pretty much where I got the idea of the "sword" being held above the messengers heart.

To me iota's seem to be like a cloud of thought that can envelop people for good or bad. Thoughts, ideas and concepts form the brain, muscles and organs of iota's. With those receiving, practicing an iota, being the bones that give iota's support, and help in an iota's movement. Enabling iotas to have in impact in the "physical world".

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

I'm a little confused by your usage of the word "iota".

I understood it as
–noun
1.a very small quantity; jot; whit.
2.the ninth letter of the Greek alphabet (I, ι).
3.the vowel sound represented by this letter.
—Synonyms
1. bit, particle, atom, grain, mite.

So, reading your post substiuting in any of the synonyms above doesn't make sence to me.

What excatly do you mean?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I agree with the last post. Did you learn a new word and now trying to find a spot to use it? I think I uderstand what your saying though. How does the message remain once people start following the messenger instead of the words of the message. Unfortunatley hardly one can exist without the other.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Im still confused

Doesnt iota mean a small amount? it doesnt seem to fit in the context your using it but I gather from your repeated use of it thats its important.

I think I get the overall message

Its like Jesus, he preached love and tolerance etc etc and people seem to have forgotten his message and instead focus on his life and the way he died.

I think I get it

As an example: Jesus is being worshipped and instead of listening to and practising what he preached they focus on the fact that he did preach, instead of carrying the message he was trying to spread in their hearts they use the message as a weapon against anyone who doesnt believe or think as they do.

Am I on the right track?

I really think I know what your talking about and can see why you used the metaphor you did, its not an easy concept to articulate.

S&F for a great message its just a shame most people wont have a clue what your talking about

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by balrathamir

I'm a little confused by your usage of the word "iota".

I understood it as
–noun
1.a very small quantity; jot; whit.
2.the ninth letter of the Greek alphabet (I, ι).
3.the vowel sound represented by this letter.
—Synonyms
1. bit, particle, atom, grain, mite.

So, reading your post substiuting in any of the synonyms above doesn't make sence to me.

What excatly do you mean?

naa I am probably thinking of a different word that is probably similar. Basically a word I picked up in a writing or paper I read awhile back, where the writer talked about how ideas, concepts spread from person to person. And I think, "think", he/she used the word "iota" to describe it all. In the paper he/she talked about how "ideas/concepts etc" can take on a life of their own kind of thing.

-----------
Was thinking of the word "meme", duh! My Bad.

Hehe ironic I picked it up from Dawkins. Owell the over all meme concept is applicable for this.
edit on 30-5-2011 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I would think the best way to silence a messenger is to either lock them up in a jail cell somewhere, like Bradly Manning or kill them like John Lennon.

There are many other examples of John Lennon types that were killed because they were influential or were popular and knew something they shouldn't.

Worshiping the messenger may just get more people to think about the message being sent from the messenger. Which i would think, would have an adverse effect rather then an effect TPTB would want.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I can't imagine that worshipping the messenger would kill off the message. Not if the messenger is bright enough to realize what's happening around him/her. Then again, the sort of people who would worship a person are the sort of people who wouldn't understand or benefit from amessage anyway. Not everyone is capable of learning. Especially if they're only looking for someone to validate what they already believe to be true. They've got that saying now "If you're a hammer, the whole world is a nail." That works for most people in this world, so it's not as if there are many people who will ever benefit from any message regardless of who or what delivers it.

Hell, there are people worshipping wall stains and pizza crusts that they think have Jesus in them. The Vatican has tens of thousands of bits of this and that, that are supposedly "holy", and every single Catholic church is given one of these things (they call them relics), and it's only a bone fide Catholic church while this relic is physically located somewhere within the building itself. That sure sounds like worshipping the damn thing, to me. They literally "decommission" the building by taking the relic out of its hidden spot and shipping it back to the Vatican. This is actually what they do to erase the holy from a church building. You'd think the modern segment of the human race was well past this sort of foolishness, but it's not.

What silences the messenger is the fear of a loss that can't be tolerated by that messenger, but that's only once the messenger has emerged from complete obscurity. Most messengers never emerge. In this world, if you're not a natural salesman, you'll never be a messenger or much of anything at all.

new topics

top topics

join