It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Believe?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Whether there are really ETs or not is completely inconsequential. If they are real, then what their goals are, why they are here, and who they choose or choose not to contact and why, is absolutely unimportant. In the grand scheme of things, Humanity should pull up its big girl panties and take care of its own. I would hate to enter a community of interstellar civilizations as a backward planet with no self-control. That kind of reputation could make it very hard to pick up alien chicks at the space bar.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
If we were to be made aware of other civilisations would we pull together and be all peaceful to each other? I am not sure. To be honest, as a civilisation, I think we would fear it rather than embrace it. Being introduced to other civilisations, with their advanced technology and knowledge, is basically being introduced to the unknown - would we handle that well?

But I am all for the space bars and chatting up the alien women. I can then use my intergalactic chat up lines: "Are you probing? 'Cos I just think you abducted my heart"

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Geordie

Plus I really need to try out my recipe for a pan-galactic gargle blaster on someone.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by vexati0n

For the hopeless to find hope only in the unattainable is a tragedy, in my opinion.

This is quite a grim assessment of our current society. Yet, I feel the greater truth you are highlighting is incredibly abstract and founded in a philosophy not held by most ATS members. In this sense hope can be seen as an addictive drug. If unbridled it may produce great emotional sensations for a short duration, but when it wears off and reality sets in then it has failed to serve its purpose dutifully. Hope and faith are wonderful things to nurture in the human spirit. However, they can be abused in order to manipulate the minds of the weak into a false sense of security.

Never dare to dream. Just be sure that your feet are planted somewhere on the ground while you are doing so.
edit on 31-5-2011 by TheChemist1 because: awkward wording

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join