It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists turn skin cells into neurons - great news for stem cell research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The New York Stem Cell Foundation (NYSCF) is a non-profit organization focusing on curing major diseases using stem cells. Dr. Marius Wernig of NYSCF led a group of Stanford University scientists in this latest accomplishment.

In a paper published in the online edition of the journal Nature, Dr. Wernig and colleagues reported that they created functional neurons from skin cells by the addition of four proteins. Recent work has shown that with four factors, somatic cells can be reprogrammed into a pluripotent state and then differentiated into various cell types.

This is great news for stem cell research as they can use the more easily attained neurons for work on disease treatments and cures.

Medical News Today: Neurons Created Directly From Skin Cells Of Humans

"This remarkable advancement by an inaugural member of our NYSCF - Robertson Investigator program makes this an exciting time of rapid progress for stem cell science," said Susan L. Solomon, CEO of The New York Stem Cell Foundation. "It is imperative that we continue to encourage and support stem cell research in whatever form it takes, including both iPS reprogramming and human embryonic stem cell research. The search for cures is too important to close off any avenue that scientists believe is leading us closer to that goal."

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. This is one hell'f a break though!

Jamie.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Good News, and I support this research, although I don't support creating life and then destroying it, simply to gather stem cells.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Wow this is awesome! I feel like everyday we are getting one step closer to unlocking all the mysteries of DNA and the machine called the human body! NIce find!! Thanks for sharing!!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by hybridkate

I agree! I love that science is advancing in a way that's moderately open to the public via universities, etc. I'm sure there are PLENTY of things being developed and hidden though...

new topics

top topics

join