It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind Blowing 'magician' David Berglas gets audience to levitate tables. Wow. Is he the real deal?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I've always loved magicians and magic since I was a young kid and have strong memories of being taken to magic shows when I was little. I used to watch magic shows fanatically on television. I bought books on magic, but was too young to understand the complexities of the tricks explained. Then I was bought a super 8mm cine camera when I was 11 and discovered it was far easier to make people 'disappear' using basic camera editing than it was developing my magic prowess.

I am still involved in that same kind of magic, working in films and TV to create 100% believable (I hope) composite FX sequences, which is the art of combining filmed footage to create a believable moment.

When I was younger there was one magician who completely blew my mind. And he still does. His name is David Berglas, and I couldn't find any mention of him on ATS and so thought I'd start a thread. The inspiration to do this is that I just came across footage from his TV show that i remember seeing so many years ago (mid eighties), and the trick i will reference is still so incredible. If it is a 'trick'.

Through my interest in magic and research i have found out how most tricks are done, or at least the theory behind the trick. Some people prefer not knowing, to keep the magic alive, but I love knowing and the magic is still kept very much alive due to the incredible skills of a good magician. For instance I know how David Coppperfield levitates in a sealed perspex box, but I'll never get bored of watching him perform that trick.

But this trick that David Berglas performs boggles my mind more now than it did when I was a kid. Because now I know a whole lot more.. yet this still baffles.

Before the astonishing clips, I suggest you read a few words about one of the greatest magicians that people have never heard of.

DAVID BERGLAS BIO

David defined magic on British television as was one of the very first magicians with his own show “Meet David Berglas” in 1954. Numerous other television series followed and were highly acclaimed in Holland, Sweden, Norway and Germany. In the 1970s he presented a one hour television special in Las Vegas. In the UK he caused a sensation with his Channel 4 series “The Mind of David Berglas” where he interviewed and entertained ebrity guests including Omar Sharif, Christopher Lee, Britt Ekland, Peter Cook and Max Bygraves.

He was the President of the Magic Circle from 1989 to 1998 and one of todays greatest showman, Derron Brown, of whom I'm a massive fan, cites David as an inspiration and calls him "one of greatest living magical performers." David is still lecturing and performing but in this day and age of interwebs and cgi and disposable entertainment I feel that his art has been sadly forgotten by the masses and if anyone desrves a retrospective of his incredible work and achievements it is David Berglas. David's style is miles away from Mr,Copperfield's, and reminds one of an older time of Victorian sceances and parlour tricks.

By starting this thread I hope to let more people know about this great man... and... this might be controversial to some, I would still love to know people's ideas about how he could accomplish one of his signature acts... 'table levitation' as I haven't got the faintest.

Others have said this before me, and that is perhaps David Berglas does have amazing paranormal powers, and we have been lucky enough to witness them, albeit disguised as 'tricks' so as to preserve his secrets from those that would use the same powers to create harm. He of course says they are all tricks. I am inclined to believe him though a part of me would love him to have tapped upon those parts of the human brain that remain tantalizingly elusive to science.

I urge you to seek out the many clips of David on youtube, as somebody has kindly uploaded all of his 80's TV series. And if anyone finds any spectacular clips of tricks (there's loads I've only heard about... smoking underwater for instance.) then please post them here.

And now for the magic.

Here is the clip of the TV program I saw as a kid, 'The Mind of David Berglas', where he gets random members of the audience lifting tables. I think this is insane. I just can't see how they would all be stooges, nor do I see any evidence of magnets/ wires. The part when he asks them to take both hands off the table... well... speechless kind of sums it up.

The trick is annoyingly spread over two videos. But enjoy the rest of the show or skip straight to the 5 minute mark of first video. The scene continues in part 3. And dig thos 80's fashions and hairstyles!!

Part 2 (trick starts at 5 minutes)

Part 3

And here is a clip of the same trick in a 1981performance, as showcased in a recent 'best of magic' show, with some talking heads lavishing praise and a recent clip of David talking about his art.

Great magic is one of the most beautiful of all the performing arts and David Berglas is a master. I hope you enjoyed finding out about him and look forward to your comments on his 'trick.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by manmental

A way this might be done is with magnetic power.

If the base of the table was a magnet, resting on a magnet and then it was turned on or turned off it might seem to magnetically repel and lift the table (rather push the table up and away from the magnet in the floor) while everyone's hands are on it keeping it from going all the way up and tipping over. Just a thought.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

A way this might be done is with magnetic power.

If the base of the table was a magnet, resting on a magnet and then it was turned on or turned off it might seem to magnetically repel and lift the table (rather push the table up and away from the magnet in the floor) while everyone's hands are on it keeping it from going all the way up and tipping over. Just a thought.

I think its safe to say you've just completely smashed that one. It's all mirrors and magnets: always has been and always will be

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
the two guys in suits are making the table levitate, dead give away is that they are wearing suits to cover up the hooks they have to lift the table

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
the two guys in suits are making the table levitate, dead give away is that they are wearing suits to cover up the hooks they have to lift the table

Dude!! I think you nailed it. I rewatched the clips and the suited guys opposite eachother don't actually lift there arms off, merely tilt their hands upwards. So if he has two stooges per table its do-able. So your theory makes sense.

It is usually the most simple method that works so this sounds more likely than magnets in my opinion. A magnet that powerful might have adverse affects on any metal on the participants.

Well.... if that is the answer... thank you. Didn't think that would happen so quick after years of puzzling. Right... what's the next magic trick i've always wanted to know about.... must post it here!

Magic rules!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The two men in suits are holding the table. They must have something beneath their sleeves that can hold on to the table. Notice that they don't lift their hands that high as compared to the others when they were told to lift their hands.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I watched a documentary on how this was done. Apparently when he
greets his audience he shakes their hands one by one.

As his hands contact theirs he coats them with super glue.
Thus making them stick to the table.

His show backfired when an audience member stuck their hand to
their face and was rushed to hospital.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Real Deal?! Meaning what? I'm not sure I understand.
Magicians use all sorts of tricks of the trade to create illusions to convince your brain that the unimaginable has just happened.

Are you suggesting he has super-powers? Or just a great illusionist?

Which real deal are you speaking of?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

You might be right because if there were magnets that powerful they would have to advise anyone in the audience with a pacemaker but they might have weeded those people out before hand.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

Exactly what I was gonna say.... "Real Deal" meaning what?

Real Magic?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
These are the real deal magicians

Messmer and Gary Kurtz ... Masters of the brain .... how can that be possible ? REAL POWERS

the ones who levitate stuff .. are like Chris Angel .. FAKE MAGICIANS

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

I think he, along with Derron Brown, are great illusionists, but both of them employ many tricks and techniques to ply their trade and both, although Derron Brwon probably leads the way here, have performed remarkable tricks that 150 years ago would have been exactly what so called mediums and spritualists would use.

I also like to believe that they have tapped into some of the mental secrets and mental tricks that are claimed by those with esoteric powers, going back centuries.

I basically like to believe in supernatural powers, and think that the more we discover about quantum physics the more some of these powers, like esp, telekinisis, power of space and time, apear likely to be possible, even if just on a molecular level.

So... the 'real deal'... I would love to think so. Probably not.... but who knows?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

The real deal are Messmer and Kurtz FTW

Kurtz enter your brain for information
Messmer manipulate your brain to make you do what ever he wants

these magicians have real powers/habilities
no illusions

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Awwwwww... There you guys and gals go wrecking the illusion.

Super Glue..Magnets.. Pick a way to create an illusion and it's beed tryed.

It's always more fun to wondor how they do a trick, as opposed to knowing how they do it.

Of course good magicians enjoy watching a well done presentation,even if they know how the trick is being done. That's part of the "code."

I watched some VERY famous Magicians make Lions and Tigers appear and disappear over and over.
I couldn't figure it out.
FINALLY, a "techie" told me what to look for.

OHHH.. So THAT'S how they do it. After that,it was just another day of work.
Took away ALL of the Illusion... Everyone in the audience was still Blown Away...Except me and the crew.

Most Crewmembers and "Techies" sign non-dislosure contracts stating they will be held liable for all legel fee's if it can be proven they discussed "proprietary" information.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
in part 3 were he makes a mistake it made me laugh a lot and hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he says he can pick a page by number by accident, and then he does haha, and then he says no better not its!!!
He completely ruins the trick its propper funny.. really funny hehe...
thanks for showing me these clips i was wetting myself

edit on 30-5-2011 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Repeat after me...magic isn't real. Rinse, reapply, and repeat.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Magicians are like Carny's

Not to be trusted

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

The real deal are Messmer and Kurtz FTW

these magicians have real powers/habilities
no illusions

cool. Thanks. I will look 'em up.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This is a prime example of a mediocre illusion performed by a master showman. This is an illusion, a trick is what a whore does for money.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

At 2:53 he explains how he does this.

Messmer and Kurtz are both amazing, but do not kid yourself about Mr. Berglas...he is the real deal. A supperb showman.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join