It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Close Family Member Cleared To Work On Secret Project, Scarey OTT Background Checks But I Cant Say M

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Ok so a family member of mine has recently been cleared to work on a military project (in the UK) I have the name of the project, but dont want to say its name because I am pretty sure this thread could be read and he could get in trouble. I would like to point out that he hasnt told me anything specific and has not breached the official secrets act which he has had to sign.

So what a great thread this is going to be for you lot ey? Well I want to talk about the reason that I am so reluctant to post details. He (i'll say that at least) has gone through several stages of security clearance costing thousands of pounds to the taxpayer. they told the truth and never lied on any of these, Despite this he was brought into an interview and asked who lets call them so this post sakes 'Katey Martin' is? Now this is his girlfriend, they are not engaged or have even discussed it, but they were very cross that he hadnt mentioned her in the mass of forms despite only being asked 'martital status'. They knew where she lived, the fact that he stays with her very often and where they had been on holiday (which isnt too hard to find out) but what struck me was how did they know that he stays at her place regularly?

Now she and her family had to be also checked and details submitted about them, which she was understandably very angry about as they were more or less demanding the names and addresses/occupations etc of her family members.

I know that they must be thorough but considering when working at these places he is scanned all over for anything he may be hiding as well as weighed so he cant even swallow anything I think its a bit over the top! Not to mention all his equipment is steralised in many places so not even a microbe can be smuggled in to these locations.

I want to just point out how much money it must cost to do this. Officially the applications and vetting of the paperwork as well as the interview costs the taxpayer £3000. Now thats a lot when there are a few hundred to a thousand people on site and thats just the start of it! It seems that the foreign office are spending a stupid amount of money cheking everyones extended family tree when really this shouldnt matter if security is so tight. Anyway If say he had a brother or nephew who was an anarchist, anti government type would that really mean that he was too?

Anyway I am sorry for the lack of detail but I dont want to risk getting him in trouble (not that he has told me anything specific about it) I just want to be carefull since they seem to be so very meticulous. I wa wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar? I have been cleared to work on army bases in the UK despite being arrested a couple of times before, although I have never been taken to court over any of these offences. I thought that it was funny that I can work in these sensitive areas, but other companies before have turned me down for working in a warehouse. I also once applied for an engineering apprenticeship at the Atomic Weapons site in Aldermarston and you must be psycologicalled evaluated before interviewed aparently according to an employees son I know it is to ensure that you dont have any anti-government or anarchist sort of tendencies, probably why I was never asked for an interview then

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
if they wanted to find out who you are they could
and then it wouldnt matter if ur family member said anything or not
becos u just proved that he did
bit stupid to say you are related to them

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious
So what a great thread this is going to be for you lot ey?

Not really if you're not going to spill the beans, and tell us what you know.
edit on 30-5-2011 by Naptown317 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Is this another - 'A friend of mine knows someone who works for T[TB and knows everything there is to know about everything but I can't tell you anything or someone would get in trouble' threads?

Anyway I am sorry for the lack of detail but I don't want to risk getting him in trouble (not that he has told me anything specific about it)

Silly me! Looks like it is...

Question though... If you are not going to bring facts to the ATS why bother? We have conjecture and assuming enough to make us all turn blue.

Then again if your topic is the meticulous screening of possible employees for sensitive government jobs - well then you did a good job pointing out just how meticulous 'they' can be. Thanks for that!

peace
edit on 30-5-2011 by silo13 because: silly me!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
This is nothing new for the British Military. I have had checks done on me, my partner, my ex husband, my children and siblings etc. Any relative working for the forces will have background checks. It's all par the course and has been in operation for decades.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

So, your friend has been checked for a security clearance...............& thats all folks!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
ok so
f usorry mod sorry

edit on 30-5-2011 by ed1320 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

Its not illegal to tell me what I have stated. All I have said is he is working in a sensitive area and had these checks done. I have been carefull enough so dont worry, I am more than aware of what would get him in trouble and so is he which is why he has only told me that he is working on something that he cant discuss. I t is not illegal to say that. I havent even stated what it even is vaguely about, not that I know anyway!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

No its not that and I HATE those threads, I just dont want to say who it is because I would feel awful if he lost his job.

I have stated that he hasnt told me any details or breached the official secrets act. My main reason for the thread was to discuss the extensiveness of the background checks and the wasted money.

I want to point out that he is working in the instalation and not actually on the specific project. He could for example be a cleaner or a contractor. Is noone suprised that they would be able to find out this info about him? It sounds like to me to find out his partners name would have taken a bit of effort and also breached her privacy, is noone bothered about discussing that?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Sounds pretty typical. When I was a teen we had some FBI agents come to our house and ask questions about our across the street neighbor because she had applied for a job. We were not related, just a neighbor. They may have picked us as a good source since my mother was a forensics officer and figured a person who's job to notice things would be a good person to ask such things to.

They asked things about her general attitude around people, how she kept her yard, any odd things happen around the house, any police response to the house etc. Simple things really.

When something like security clearance is an issue they want to make sure that the applicant isn't influenced by things. And yeah, that anarchist cousin can have an influence if the applicant and the cousin are close.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Sounds pretty normal to me, and necessary. If he had ties to terrorists, it would be important that that be found before taking him on.

I just wonder if he was asked if any of his friends or relatives are members of ATS???

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by coquine

I suppose thats a fair point as if there was even a really random link to a know terrorist or sympathiser it would be a red flag right away. Also as it deals with national security it may be to make sure you have no family abroad that work for foreign governments because they do try to infiltrate projects like these to gain information. I still think they should at least let people know that they are being looked at so closely so you could at least let your gf know that they might be checked on

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
In whatever country you live in you are protected by whatever surveillance network the military has in use. It is vital for all employees in the military to have a clear check background. This check determines the truth you say, your religious views, your political affiliation and all relatives connected to you and partners. Tax payers pay this for the protection of their military doing it's duty for it's country. It might be an eye opener for you but it's standard procedure. I would not worry too much about your thread and it's contents. The military have bigger fry to catch...

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Do your relative a solid and stop talking about this.

Delete the thread if possible or have the mods do it for you.

You need to perform a cost benefit analysis before you make these threads.

Is five stars and a few replies worth your relative losing their job?

It's not you know.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious
I know that they must be thorough...

Well, look on the bright side. At least they're actually doing the job properly, unlike here in Australia where if its too hard they just make stuff up off the top of their heads.

... and pressure was mounting to quickly process the security clearances.
"Information like where you live, or previous employment,
they didn't really care about that stuff, just make it up,
put in some dates, put unemployed for periods that were missing,
addresses just put the area address, or find a street or
make some information up to fill in those gaps," he said.

Defence staff told to fake security checks

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Let you know they are looking? They already look at our Facebook-Myspace-Youtube and IP's and Google searches all the time and they dont tell us....we just know. And our cable and Wi-Fi internets and cell phone transmissions...so.

They should tell us????

PS You really should keep quiet for your own and their sake. What purpose do you have in saying anything so important? Bragging that you know someone is up against possibily hurting them...why would you want to do that?

We see....we understand...we get it...now for heavens and THEIR sake...be quiet about it.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: PS

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: boy oh boy

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
For anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation as the OP, can I offer some advice?

If you are going to make a thread in relation to things yo are privy to, perhaps don't come out with it - make it a factual yet vague post. Keep the facts, change the names.

You're doing the same thing, except you're keeping details out of it - you can leave details in if you change the meaningless facts and it's always those meaningless facts - My uncle fred in the navy saw something but I can't say much incase he gets busted. / My friend told me and they work at nasa, but I can't say more... all can be expanded on if you just leave out the "MY [insert fuzzy logic]".

Soo many "I have a secret and it's a whopper, but if I tell you it will kill millions of fluffy kittens!" threads...

Lets work out how to SWIM it so to speak?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Do your relative a solid and stop talking about this.

Delete the thread if possible or have the mods do it for you.

You need to perform a cost benefit analysis before you make these threads.

Is five stars and a few replies worth your relative losing their job?

It's not you know.

Agreed. You could be doing damage to him just by posting this. When it comes to security clearances and the job that one requires to gain one. It's not worth having some relative running his mouth on the internet because scary people in suits came to ask you questions.
As this guy i quoted said, do him a solid and close this thread.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I too question the need for the OP to gleeing fully express "Looky! Looky what I found! Guess what?" Thats what my 5 year old neice says when she finds a pretty rock at the beach. This announcement... if one can call it that...serves no purpose...just infers how excited the Op is about it....regardless of how harmless and potentially dangerous it could be to those involved. "Wow! Looky-looky! You know what happened to ME?!!! You'd never believe this but...."

Discretion is the greater part of valor.....

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I think you need to look at what my point is. Im not bothered about the actual military project, its probably something really mundane like logistical transport of weaponry or to do with increasing aircraft performance. My point was about the background checks and that to find out he stays with his girlfiend so often they must have spent a lot of effort to find this out. My point was never to say 'I have some crazy secret information' it was to say this is why my relative has had to go through this proceedure and isnt it mad the lengths that they go to clear people? Myh point is that any of us could be being checked on as we speak and we would never know.

Why is everyone assuming Im claiming to have sensative info to release? Read the thread im only interested in discussing security clearance and the cost involved! Honestly people please read beyond the first line!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join