It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opus Dei any thoughts, info or ideas?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   
BTW I did do a search for a topic and couldn't find one..

Please don't say Dan Brown, all though I pobably will read the Da Vinci Code one day...

From what I heard its a very wierd faction of the Holy See. Alot of self-punishment alledgedly... [/ hmmm...

[edit on 5/8/2004 by Corinthas]

D

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I don't know about them in-depth, but I know here in Australia, there are many Liberal party members (who right now form the Government) are members of the Opus Dei. There was some articles in the newspapers about how the Opus Dei was influencing some decision making within the Liberal Party.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by D
I don't know about them in-depth, but I know here in Australia, there are many Liberal party members (who right now form the Government) are members of the Opus Dei. There was some articles in the newspapers about how the Opus Dei was influencing some decision making within the Liberal Party.

[o Ooooh.. (genuine amazement!)

Is that a fact.. Austrailia Eh..

Cheers for the info!

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
BTW I did do a search for a topic and couldn't find one..

Here's a topic for you. Also - try the "Conspiracies in Religions" forum, they may have more info than here in "Secret Socities".

Please don't say Dan Brown, all though I pobably will read the Da Vinci Code one day...
From what I heard its a very wierd faction of the Holy See. Alot of self-punishment alledgedly...

Alleged by Dan Brown. Are you a Catholic? If so, what is the point of the scapula traditionally given during the Sacrement of Pennance? It's rough texture is a form of self-punishment, but wearing one doesn't make you a cult member.

Anyway, there's basically 4 places online you're going to find info:

1. The writings of the founder of Opus Dei (St. Josemar�a Escriv�), found here.

2. The official Opus Dei website.

3. The official bulletin of the Prelature of Opus Dei.

4. The "unofficial homepage" which gives a point of view about how they are cult-like.

The last site provides many examples from St. Escriv� book "The Way", and attempts to show how counter to modern thinking they are. But he's wrong to beleive that "The Way" is used as the only governing principles with the group.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Well yes i was brought up as a Catholic , being partly Irish

Why do you ask?

Oh I see the point of the scapula eh?
Well [ / Hmm... lets see if i can remeber all the scraments...
baptism, 1st comm (Eucharist) ,confirmation, and pennance (i have always called this "confession") I never recieved this paddle thing.

But we never took this stuff seriously, it just my granny would have had a fit if we didn't attend mass etc. Bit like the Simpsons with dad asleep during the lecture.

So I cant reall answer the question sorry

Doh did not think of the "Conspiracies in Religions" forum..

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
My best friend is Opus Dei. I have many other friends
who are Opus Dei as well. They are all wonderful, warm,
prayerful, average people. There is no 'self punishment'.
There is a call to let go of the worldly things in pursuit
of the holy and spiritual. Little things like - why spend
$200 on a pair of sneakers just to be cool, if $40 will
be good enough. Give the extra $$ you would have spent
to the poor. All the Opus Dei I know are wonderful
people who are in the world, but not of the world.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Why do you ask?

Because of my point about the scapula - they're a form of self-punishment, but self-punishment alone doesn't mean bad things ...

That was all - no offence meant.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Midnight Watchman

Why do you ask?

Because of my point about the scapula - they're a form of self-punishment, but self-punishment alone doesn't mean bad things ...

That was all - no offence meant.

Woha easy tiger
no offence taken!

Just was wondering why you asked (like was it obvious or something silly like that), only after did I re-read the post and realized you had asked for a reason.. read the edited post above

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Well, this is the Opus Dei website for the US

www.opusdei.org...

My cousin is an Opus Dei priest, I went to his ordination in Rome. It's a great order. Opus Dei means "Work of God". It's one of the great religious orders within the church.

CC

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
What with the publication of THE DAVINCI CODE, there have been a couple of books come out about this. Try Borders or Barnes an Noble, or the like. I will try to hit them tomorrow and return with some titles for you.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Opus Dei supposed to be the far right winged conservative cult of Catholisism. They inflict pain ( mortification) on themselves in order to be close to God. Among other theories, they're supposed to be part of the Illuminati-

Hey- this sounds like our current Government!

Once they get a hold of you (the victim) you wont be able to get away

I dont know why you're curious, but you shouldnt get involved unless you're into pain.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Hmmm... Do you think President Kennedy was in this "Cult"?

Interesting though

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   
It's not a cult, it's a kind of religious order within the Catholic church...

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
it is considered a secret society. it focus is the reimposition of an almost midieval form of Christianity and the support of reactionary governments and regimes, so longs as they are nominally Catholic. they consist of clergy and lay people and is strongly committed to prosellytizing, espically youths.

one conflict i have found in a post is the adherents are discourgaed from making their affiliation known to outsiders.

i would recommend The Secret Wold of Opus Dei by Micahel Walsh (1989) this book is old yet very informative. it also touches on the organzation possily trying to buy repspectablilty by pumping money into the Vatican. It also implicates Opus Dei in a number of other financial scandals.

they tend to recruit those of high academic abillity or potential. they appear to also go beyond religion's traditional regard for family values and preaches the inferiority and subjugation of women. in essence, the value of unquestioning obedience.

interesting society, very secretive.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Midnight Watchman
Because of my point about the scapula - they're a form of self-punishment,

Excuse me, but would you mind explaining exactly what you think a scapula is?

I seem to be missing something here, I thought I knew what it was but your comments are not consistent with what I thought.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
You can sugar coat it anyway you like, but its a wacko cult.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
nothing is sugarcoated on this end. through my research this is what my conclusion is.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Oh for goodness sake, read the links. It's a harmless group of prople trying to better themselves.

And where are the proofs, on the anti Opus Dei sites - honestly.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   

While DVC is an interestiing piece of fiction, you will gain little, if any, insight into Opus Dei. Brown has characters in Opus Dei, but the author does litlle to explain the sect.

As far as scapulars go, it is hardly for self-punishment. The scapulas I remember as a child were of the cloth type shown in this link. They may have been to remind us of our sinfulness, but I don't remember much besides we HAD to wear them. Or, a medal as a substitute in the summer.
scapular link

The following is the entry in the Catholic Encyclopedia for "scapular":
www.newadvent.org...

[edit on 9-8-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

D

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by D

[o Ooooh.. (genuine amazement!)

Is that a fact.. Austrailia Eh..

Cheers for the info!

Yeah, I think it was on touchy issues like abortion, genetic research, stem cell research and the likes. It was a while ago, I'll see if I can dig up anything.

Edit: Here's a link to an interview with an Australian politician who has links to the Opus Dei. ABC Interview

It's a reliable site. The ABC here is the most fair and balanced and the most respected news channel in Australia.

And here's another one from Sydney's leading newspapers:

Opus Dei Article

[edit on 10/8/04 by D]

top topics

join