It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is losing it's intergrity - They're gaining on us

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

and ufo's.

The population of ATS mainly consists of Conspiracy Theorists...Right?
ATS COMICS Video-Youtube

edit on 30-5-2011 by Revelation11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
This has been an issue since ATS began.

The ALERT button is there for a purpose!

The Mods can't be expected to read every post reply that is for the members to do and alert the Mods.

If you do not like what some "junior" members are posting,Don't Respond!

The younger members with little knowledge do not know what a true forum should be.

I have seen members basically chatting in a thread to each other!

I have wanted to create a couple of threads to post my thoughts on somethings that have come to light,but I am hesitant to do so.

I believe one way to stop this behavior is to create something similar to R.A.T.S but more like a INTERNET bar.

One has to be invited in by a friend and his replies would be examined to see if they are worthy of joining the discussion.

Let the kids yell at each other in the Chuckie Cheese part of ATS!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I haven't been a member for long( I did spend time lurking prior to joining) but I have noticed it does not matter what time of year it is, there is always someone complaining about the lack of real information on this site as well as complaining about the mods or the owners. I decided to join this site because of its ranking on this site conspiracy.top-site-list.com... , now ATS is not even on the list. I haven't made that many threads and some of them were, as they turned out, dumb questions because I made the mistake of not doing the research myself. Really I think this is the problem. I see all the time people responding with "Source Please" or something of that nature, but I have learned it is easier in most cases to look for it myself. Now it has become a pet peeve. Stop asking for sources and find it yourself. If you can't then state that in your reply. My biggest pet peeve is those that only read the OP and make a statement without reading the thread and we have repetition after repetition. If you don't have the time to read the thread don't post. The worst is the people who comment only on the title, what is this about? Again if you are too lazy to read the thread or research the info don't, its that simple.

I have made these mistakes, I am not perfect, but I learn along the way. Sometimes it is the "Elders" on the site that put me in my place and sometimes its a "newb", but I learn and continue. Those of us who have been doing this type of "Free Thinking" for a long period of time, know that not all information is true and conclusive and do our own research, BUT a lot of us will only research or post things that fit our ideas and not the contrary or even look deeper into a subject. ie; with a video, a lot of people will not look at the things that lead up to where the video begins and thus only comment on what is presented, which is usually biased in its presentation.

I have seen many good threads trashed by people who just want to argue back and forth. People, just ignore the stupidity and debate with facts. If it is an opinion show why it is wrong with facts, don't just tell someone it is wrong, tell them why you think it to be incorrect thinking and let them decide, but don't take a thread and destroy it. If you feel the need to argue go to chat, pick a room, and go at it, stop doing it in the threads. If you can't get to chat because of post count, then build up your posts, but don't do it arguing in the threads.

ATS is what we, as a whole, make of it. We must remember to be polite and help others to "See" the benefit of being such. If someone is not being polite ignore the post or alert it, don't feed it by giving it your time. If no one replies they get no satisfaction and go elsewhere.

BE THE CHANGE

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
....when in reality, those of us who have been around for a while...

Stick around a few years and you may THEN say "us". No offence intended.

ATS goes in waves, you'll understand after you've been here long enough to see things come around and around.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Because I am not against the police in general I got called naive, law enforcment and a paid forum poster in short order. It seems to me this site lets to many trolls roam around here. However conflict causes ratings and this site is all about advertizing income. Is what it is.
edit on 30-5-2011 by jaydeePNW because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I wouldn't say ATS is losing it's integrity. ATS has rules setup to weed out the ignorant, some slip through the cracks but most legit ATSer's either ignore them or run them out of town crying to their mommies. I don't think we have to much to worry about in that respect, if we do there are plenty of people on this site that will step up and make things right. Good lookin out though

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Whatever the deal is, I'm not going anywhere. ATS is easily my favorite website, and even if I do waste a little time here fishing through the posts to find some good info, the good info is always there. I would waste more time doing something else anyway that is less productive. ATSer's have strengthened my convictions on many important issues, and took me in directions I would simply have missed otherwise. Also, I really love the opinions of most of you guys even if I don't agree totally; and although I don't know any of you personally, I count you among my friends.

And yes, I can say "run-on" sentence....
edit on 5/30/2011 by visualmiscreant because: punctuation

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is still one of my favorites. I'm on page 2 but that has nothing to do with the fact that this is one of my favorite threads...............Really

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

the weapon is ATS hi own.

one of his famous and good writers is banned

his name is ProtoplasmicTraveler.

I started a thread about : why was ProtoplasmicTraveler banned ?

And I want every one to post his comment.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by hmdphantom

Unfortunately we cannot discuss banned members. Your thread will probably be deleted.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I've been lurking and participating here for 7 years now and it does come and go in waves. I too think that the school year has played a big part in this for quite some time. Just recently though there has been a big influx of "newbies" ever since the Jared Loughner happening in Tucson.

When I first started reading this site back in '04 the quality of the majority of the threads was top notch. The majority of the users were top notch as well. Every now and then I saw someone start a thread that was just plain idiotic IMO.

I remember one time in particular this happened, it came and went and I didn't think any further about it. A year or so later someone started a thread on a very interesting topic, provided sources for his theories and basically just laid out a very good post. I was so impressed in fact that I went to their profile to see what they are all about, and lo and behold it turned out to be the same person that I thought to be a knuckle-dragger a year or so earlier.

If you don't like it when people just seem to rant or post You Tube videos for a thread starter, keep in mind that they are more than likely new at all this, at least to a forum of this caliber, and it will take them some time to grow into it. I remember the first time or two that I started threads, I sucked at it......bad.

If you don't like the way a thread is progressing, or degressing for that matter, don't participate. Find another one, or better still, start you own.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

Error 404 comes up.

That thread has been dead for awhile now.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
First, you are voicing my thoughts almost exactly.
Second, I skim through the different posts until I find one with merit, if, after reading it, I still believe it is worth commenting on then I will, otherwise ignore it and move on. But simply staying on a subject and pointing out the obvious over and over is not the way to find the answer to what ever it is you are looking for. If it is bull then move on, no need to comment on every single thought that is brought up.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Revelation11

I may be wrong, but I think the majority of members are looking for answers their governments won't give them. The world is changing so very fast, and if you're not in the loop, you're basically just paying others to hide things from you because "you don't have the need to know". Why don't we? Obviously these things effect all of us who live on this planet, not just the governments. I haven't posted a thread as of yet, because I'm searching for information right now for myself and my family. When I become more educated in these things, I will most likely create threads, but for the time being I'm on the listening end of this thing.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ELahrairah

Insightful posts that are well researched tend to get buried.

This is the problem I have. I do not mind looking up sources. I do not mind backing up what I have to say with facts.

FactFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

For other uses, see Fact (disambiguation).

The word fact can refer to verified information about past or present circumstances or events which are presented as objective reality. In science, it means a provable concept.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

I know it is wiki, but................

If I do not have the facts. I usually (not always) state that it is my opinion.

o·pin·ion   /əˈpɪnyən/ Show Spelled
[uh-pin-yuhn] Show IPA

–noun
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second Medical opinion.

dictionary.reference.com...

See the problem that I have is when I take the time to research a topic and it is overlooked or shunned. Facts are no longer appreciated on ATS as they were. I will not take the time to research something if nobody else does. It is a waste of time. I do not wish to sound selfish but damn, man. People spew crap all day. I get to the point to where I do not even care anymore.

I usually try to find an interesting thread and contribute what I can.
edit on 30-5-2011 by liejunkie01 because: structure

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

Originally posted by wcitizen
Here is one more recent example of what you describe:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I really hope the mods do something about these threads.

Yes, if you'll notice I posted on that (ridicule of course) right before I created this thread.

I REALLY want the old ATS back. I loved reading threads with SUPER LONG op's and a whole lot of links and sources.

Greetings:

OK, we accept the challenge. Please let us know what you think about this thread:

The Domino Effect of February 2011 - I Had a Dream About America's Future

We will be most interested in meaningful dialogue - that is the very reason we looked at this post - wondering if others were "on the hunt."

Thank you for your time and consideration.

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant
reply to post by Revelation11

I may be wrong, but I think the majority of members are looking for answers their governments won't give them.

And I'm one of those members.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
If there's one thing I absolutely hate is being judged upon age. There are many respected members here who are young, who frequent upon ATS and yes, do think....some even better than many of the older members.

They may be young, but you're being stereotypical. Not all of them are like that...and ATS, in some respects, is definite proof for that.

reply to post by Agarta

Agarta, you summed it up brilliantly. A fine post indeed.
edit on 30-5-2011 by BlackPoison94 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Friendly suggestion: now that you're aware of a 'problem' and have shared same, why not do something about it? Find some interesting topicality elsewhere and bring it to ATS. Be one of the few who helps the boat to float and not sink.

In my short time on ATS I've noticed very few mention what they are doing to right perceived wrongs. No mention of making phone calls, non-violent protest they are attending, or that they are going to write a letter to a government representative.

But I have seen a handful of threads where people are trying a call for action, they are ready & willing to do something for the cause, and these threads get yanked for offending the many ATS sites rules laws and guidelines.

Sites don't remain as grand as they were 'in the good ol days' by themselves. But that seems to be the expectation of many veteran ATS folks who are fond of grumping online. Having expectations lead to disappointments in life. If you want hot coffee you have to put the kettle on to boil, wishful thinking won't get it done.

ATS: good to the last drop (?)

If 1/2 of the ATS fans contributed a good find or thought up something interesting for debate on a weekly basis the many troll/bored schoolchildren posts would become the exception, not the rule.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I totally agree. I've been here for several years and the quality of posts has deteriorated significantly. Now it could be that at times I look like "one of the angry" but that is because I am! Angry at blind ignorance. Posts with no proof or independent backup just a plain "I believe that......". God forbid you argue........lest you are labelled an ignorant sheepie.

We used to post beliefs with a backup consisting of evidence that could be corroborated OR assertions by the state or corporations that could NOT be corroborated. Now you MUST believe in what an ATS member states .....or else!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join