It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Things Survival: Show 11: Eat what you can and what you can't, you can.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4ba07808fc03.jpg[/atsimg]

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 8:00PM EST

illustrial.net

The gathered a panel of hosts, include Military Veterans, Mountain Men and just plain old Hillbillies, with a combined experience in Survival of over 100 years!!!!!

Your Panel

JacKatMtn
Semperfortis
Ahabstar
12m8keall2c
Asktheanimals
and
Advisor

The the title is the punchline to an old joke that as a kid I didn't get at first. But this week's show is about food preservation. Canning, salting and other means of food preservation is not just a lost art but one of the most important skills to have in not just a long term situation but daily living to reduce food costs and being prepared for long term power outages.

So TUNE IN THURSDAY @ 8:00PM EASTERN via illustrial.net and give us some listeners while you learn and expand your knowledge along the way. And if you have not checked out our YouTube Channel, stop by and watch the videos we have up. And be sure to leave comments, hit the like button or subscribe as you feel is appropriate.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

edit on Thu, 26 May 2011 21:37:35 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu, 02 Jun 2011 18:59:50 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu, 02 Jun 2011 21:07:04 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This sounds like something that I'd be interested in.
There are many ways to dry and as you say salt and otherwise preserve food so that it can be stretched to last a long time. Other things you can carry or store that will keep indefinitely and these are good to know. Ready and available sources for complete protein will be the main concern I would imagine but you get that in beans and rice so not too great a challenge if you combine that with dried meat, fish, fruit and nuts.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
A very good website that covers many different methods of preservation is www.uga.edu... Often times I only see the most basic of recipes for vegetables or what sounds like complex and low detailed (or overly detailed) instructions for canning meat. A a quick glance, this site seems to be very informative without information overload.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

AWESOME!! YAYAYAYA!!! I have canned almost my entire adult life. Growing up on a farm in the south, I learned to can from my grandmother when I was just a kid. They did it as a means of survival, not for a SHTF scenario, but because if you did not can/preserve any and everything when the weather was good then chaances were in the winter time there was slim pickens' on the table to get you through.

This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart and I am happy to see you guys give it some air time because I think it is a very important topic for EVERY survivalist to know. Not just for survival SHTF, but I can tell you first hand that having a nice supply of long term storage food can 'save your bacon' when your money is very thin.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I am looking forward to this, as its something I am really hoping to get into. However, it will be at a hectic time for me, trying to get dinner ready and such. Will we be able to listen after it airs?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

As of right now, no. The shows are being recorded for an archive for people to listen too and possibly download the podcasts. But as for now, we don't have that hosted anywhere. A problem that we are working on as there 10 other shows of various information that people would like to listen to again (or for the first time).

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully you'll be able to do that in future. Looks like I'll be preparing dinner ahead of time then.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
After watching two videos I think it's safe to say you have a new fan.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Only a couple of hours til showtime..

We sure hope that anyone who has experience with canning and preserving foods, get's on skype and joins us to share their experiences..

All you need to do once you have downloaded skype, is to add semperfortisats as a contact, then send him a text message letting him know you would like to call in

Please join us

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
If enough people ask, I may do the "Can Can"

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I thought we were encouraging folks to listen...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Have you ever read my Chef's Guide to 2012 thread? It gives some good ideas in the way of preservation and maximizing usage.

There is also a lot of other info ATS'ers added to the thread that applies!

I'll tune in for this one! Thanks.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
And for tonight's show we have a guest expert on canning essentials who is also a trivia master.

Tune in to find out who.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Tomato gravy on pancakes ?

edit on Thu Jun 2 2011 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Jbird

It's delicious!!!

I'm serious too

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Great show guys, I really learned alot from it and can't wait for another Surivival show.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Great show!

These are invaluable tips that are GRACIOUSLY recorded for this generation of digital junkies who have no clue about survival!!!

*DRAFT DODGER, HERE, OVER AND OUT!*

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I am ashamed to admit this was the first ATS live show I have listened to. I was excellent, and I learned a lot. Thanks guys for the show.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I will admit that canning is not my forte. I was sort of expecting the show to be, well less interesting than it turned out to be. I know that I learned quite a few things on the subject. But I was just as surprised to find out what all I did know.

Back when Grandma, Aunt Cleda and Aunt Tina would can. My job was the same as Grandpa's. Pick the beans or transport the two 5 gallon buckets from the garden to the house (which was a considerable walk). After we had plenty to make the process worth the time, the women would wash off the beans while we cleaned up to get ready to "snap beans".

If there was a baseball game on, we could listen to the game on the radio while we snapped beans. Otherwise it was just telling stories to pass the time or general conversations. Seems to me that every meal included green beans and boiled potatoes or sometimes mashed potatoes. I think it was from all the work involved that I have no love of green beans because I knew for every bite there was that much work to come in the heat of the summer to replace it.

And while not overly fond of green beans (too many cans of Green Giant and Del Monte), every now and then I get a taste for having those beans and potatoes again. I think mostly because the garden, like my grandparents, is long gone now so that taste will never be the same.

See the garden and canning was a way of life for my grandparents, Mom was one of 8 children. And once they all had children feeding all the grandkids on Sundays was an important part of the family needs and structure, so the garden was still needed. Now my parents never really had the time for a garden and it wasn't really needed as both sets of grandparents had one. Between that and both of my parents working, I sort of missed out on a big skill there growing up. In fact, Mom hated canning so much that there were no mason jars in the house growing up.

I keep saying that I need to can but living in an apartment it only leaves canning from a farmer's market as an option. Still, it is something that I should start doing. Especially since we just explained how easy it is on the show. Plenty of recipes can be found online and printed out for virtually free (other than the paper and toner costs). A dozen quart jars and lids will be around $20 give or take and can be reused with new lids for years to come.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Hi there! I was thinking about the show and I have a question for BearTruth. I did not want to U2U her since she does not know me so I hope its OK to post a question to her in her about food preservation.

I've been doing some research on canning butter. I've read about folks that have done this and had success and others that say the practice is dangerous.... ah so much for the internet. Now as I've said before I've been canning for a very very long time and I do not recall my family ever cannning butter, making it..yes... but never canning it.

I'm wondering if you have ever heard of the practice? If so what are your thoughts on it? And if you have done it in the past what was the best method you have used?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join