It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Tapes Back In Time

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by solid007

How very cool...Why did'nt I think of doing that ?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MegaMind

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
I am baffled at the unbelievable level of interest in this guy.

I am baffled that your baffled.
2nd.

OK. But somehow that doesn't baffle me.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Something seems amiss here.

This guy started collecting information about himself LONG before he knew there would be a medium to carry it on. That's just creepy.

The chronicle starts in 1977. The fastest processor was a 3mhz with 6500 transistors. There was no internet then, and computers were external media, mostly disk based. They cost upwards of $3000.00.

My first computer was a 1979 8mhz with 68,000 transistors. Still no internet, but you could dial-up at 300kbps to another computer. There were no hard drives at the time, only floppies that would hold 720kb of information.

By 1993 the first Pentium chip was produced, a whopping 60mhz with 3.1 million transistors. They internet was in it's fledgling years, and by now the fastest modem was a 56000 kbps. Dial-up was here as the only way to access the internet, and hard drives were still counted in mbs.

My second computer was a 200mhz with 5.5 million transistors, circa 1995. It ran Windows 95. Broadband was a dream. Processing speeds were still too slow to do any video editing.

Microprocessor Chronology

Are you seriously telling me this guy recorded video of himself every year for 17-18 years before he could even post it on the internet? Wow, what a visionary.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Excellent Find

Its one thing to keep pictures year after year, but videos add a whole other depth to the whole thing.

I think what I admire the most is his perseverance. 34 years is a long time to keep doing the same little thing over and over until it suddenly is a big thing.

Hell, I can't even stop smoking for more than a week.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

well im sure he was planning on watching on the tv.. You are aware that you could still use tapes from cameras and play them in your vcr? Im sure thats what he planned on doing all these years but once the internet came along it changed things.. dont really see whats so weird about that tons of people still have old cassette tapes from their cameras back in the day, I still have all my old baby tapes I dont think its weird to have a video documentary of your younger years..

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Two things I have to say about this thread. The first thing, is that this thread, and the content posted up by the OP , rocks my socks. Its a smart post, and the content is one of the most interesting concepts I have ever come across... It takes dedication to do something yearly without a break for decades on end. Nice one !

Second and on a serious note. You guys saw the fellow in the video complaining about going grey at age thirty. Whining little girl doesnt know what grey FEELS like! I am 26 and I have been going grey since I was 16 years old ! That is all.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Its nots 2012 yet. Thats why he stopped.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sp33d

I wouldn't say reflection of the times, more reflection of his age, he's grown older, more tired, more relaxed, more lethargic.

I did notice he was happier, but I don't see it because of the times, more of his personality and maybe lifestyle?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Wow is right ! This guys in love with himself s-ahhh.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

He probably aspired to use all the footage to edit a film of some sorts later in life, and he might still do that. You can tell from the clips that he doesn't just talk about the year, but was summarizing the previous year as a journal of sorts.

However, he realized that he could do something NOW with his clips if he kept it short and only showed himself announcing the years, with obvious success.

It wasn't so much that he knew the internet would be around or that he'd be editing on computers, he just knew he wanted to record the content and that he could later edit it together.

edit on 30-5-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Was that a Gremlin I spied in a driveway during the first video???

These videos are like speaking to yourself, your immutable self over a period of many years.

Best wishes bud

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

That was so cool, great way to take a break and enjoy something fun to watch, thanks.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I wonder what he edited out. Looks like a few of those years, a lot of self speculation was removed.

I do remember quite well, the eighties sucked big time.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
i found this video depressing. Anyone else?

Indeed. I am thoroughly depressed after seeing that.

Sigh. Time.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I don't believe any of it... Its all fake...

I WANNA SEE HIS LONG FORM BC

Good video, its when you see things like that you wish you had thought of it also

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
2005 was a good year not sure why but life has gotten worse ever since in more than one way

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Wait, was he listening to some acid in 1993?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Scary. Apparently he gained weight between 1979-1981 and could not loose it after that. He then grew fatter and fatter. Now I know I have to take good care of myself so that I look young even in 2050, now I kinda know what I don't want to become, not that I mean to offend anyone, but I want to play out my fututre differently. Thanks for the eye opener.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

i think I got a little ahead of myself, by the title of this post, I thought someone launched a camera with incredible zoom so far into space that it was able to film the light escaping from Earth from the year 1977 and the orchestrator of this had zoomed in on himself in the actual past and now we can finally get answers to historic events in the past, not just a clip show of Bob from Tool Time... still cool none the less. S+F!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by oddfuture

America is not polluted. cept for in NYC in the summer with no breeze

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join